Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Just a little FYI, my wife's boss, sat 3 hours yesterday in traffic on the "alternate route". He left the shop at 5:30 PM and came home at 9 PM. And today left home at 7:30 AM and arrived to work at 10 AM. So as I stated initially in this thread, if you don't really have to go to POP, I would avoid it for now.

Reactions: cavok and CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just a little FYI, my wife's boss, sat 3 hours yesterday in traffic on the "alternate route". He left the shop at 5:30 PM and came home at 9 PM. And today left home at 7:30 AM and arrived to work at 10 AM. So as I stated initially in this thread, if you don't really have to go to POP, I would avoid it for now.
I'm afraid it's going to be like that for quite a while.

Reactions: CristoRey

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I'm afraid it's going to be like that for quite a while.
It all depends on what they focus on, fixing the bridge, or creating alternative routes. If the second option is what they are focusing on, then yes, it's gonna take some time. But being that the airport is on the "wrong" side of the bridge, it hopefully might not take that long. For now, at least, it seems like a more viable option is going to Santiago, as I also saw that Obras Publicas are sending heavy machinery to fix the road between Sabaneta de Yasica and Moca.

Reactions: BeachBum87

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
my son in law was speaking to someone involved with the engineers on this situation and he says one year was mentioned as well as a Bailey bridge set up beside the bridge. That time frame would indicate an entirely new bridge to be built.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Mind boggling isn’t it. If only they held the locals to the same standards. I’ve often thought about having a vintage MBG or TR-6 for cruising the quieter campo roads. The Customs process to import these is lengthy and expensive. Between citizenship and car importation, the DR government doesn’t make it easy or cheap for snowbirds and expats.
Oooh.. I've had a few of those!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
my son in law was speaking to someone involved with the engineers on this situation and he says one year was mentioned as well as a Bailey bridge set up beside the bridge. That time frame would indicate an entirely new bridge to be built.
Here's one for the old-timers here: Who remembers when that bridge was built?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It all depends on what they focus on, fixing the bridge, or creating alternative routes. If the second option is what they are focusing on, then yes, it's gonna take some time. But being that the airport is on the "wrong" side of the bridge, it hopefully might not take that long. For now, at least, it seems like a more viable option is going to Santiago, as I also saw that Obras Publicas are sending heavy machinery to fix the road between Sabaneta de Yasica and Moca.
I guess it also depends on how extensive the repairs will be. I remember when they were repairing the bridge south of Navarette, only one lane was open and there were logjams at either end of the bridge for a couple months.

If there's a "silver lining" to this, finally getting Hwy 21 repaved would be it. That would be nice. Here's a detour that was sent to me by a friend. I have no idea the condition of the roads(?):

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
(y)(y)
We did the Moca road to Moca/Santiago ( and then returned ) today. I can tell you it was BRUTAL. The condition of the road and the huge construction underway made it the trip from hell. SLOW SLOW SLOW. And not for the feint of heart. Not to mention the crazy amount of traffic. And the repair/ repaving will take a long long time.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
(y)(y)

We did the Moca road to Moca/Santiago ( and then returned ) today. I can tell you it was BRUTAL. The condition of the road and the huge construction underway made it the trip from hell. SLOW SLOW SLOW. And not for the feint of heart. Not to mention the crazy amount of traffic. And the repair/ repaving will take a long long time.
Which side of the mountain are they working on now?

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
(y)(y)

Yeah, I believe you. I the think last time I went on that road was like 4.5 years ago. It used to be my preferred road to go when I went to the capital, but since they fixed the road between Santiago and Gran Parada, I always take that when I have to go to the capital (which I luckily haven't done for the past 3 years). But I do remember that road, you have to take it slow, and I can guess that it hasn't become better since last time. And now with basically all heavy traffic going through there instead of via Puerto Plata to get to Cabarete/Sosúa it's horrible. My wife's boss took another road back from work today, over Los Castillos and following a road to a place called Loma Blanca, the road from what I remember is not good, but it's probably better than the alternate route they are using now, it's so much longer, but it "only" took him about 1.5 hours to get home instead of the 3-4 hours it takes with the traffic jam over Cangrejo-Montellano. So I might try that road out again.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I guess it also depends on how extensive the repairs will be. I remember when they were repairing the bridge south of Navarette, only one lane was open and there were logjams at either end of the bridge for a couple months.

If there's a "silver lining" to this, finally getting Hwy 21 repaved would be it. That would be nice. Here's a detour that was sent to me by a friend. I have no idea the condition of the roads(?):

Yepp, that's the alternate route they are using right now.

Aug 21, 2007
Which side of the mountain are they working on now?
We live in Jamao and travel the mountain road at least weekly. It is much better than it used to be thanks to the construction! However, all the dust is killing the poor people who live along the road. We will be patient until the finish. When it is done, we look forward to a quick trip to Moca or Santiago. (They are working through sun and rains and on Sundays!)

Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We live in Jamao and travel the mountain road at least weekly. It is much better than it used to be thanks to the construction! However, all the dust is killing the poor people who live along the road. We will be patient until the finish. When it is done, we look forward to a quick trip to Moca or Santiago. (They are working through sun and rains and on Sundays!)
And a year after they finish the deterioration from faulting base and inconsistent asphalt will be evident

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
And a year after they finish the deterioration from faulting base and inconsistent asphalt will be evident
You may be right - but the Turistico road is holding up pretty well. I don't remember when it was actually completed though, nor how long it actually took.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You may be right - but the Turistico road is holding up pretty well. I don't remember when it was actually completed though, nor how long it actually took.
It took at least 5 years that I was keeping track.
And yes other than some sagging area and some poorly banked turns it is holding up - but it has not been finished for long

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You can't import a car more than 5 years old, but junk heaps w/o lights, fenders, and hoods, are ok to be on the roads.
If I tried to make sense many of the govt set rules/regulations here, I would go nuts... So I choose not to and just keep my mouth shut (most of the time...)...

nickdr

May 30, 2014
Consensus on here seems to be that the alternative route is a major pain / extremely slow. Has anyone gone from Puerto Plata to Sosua or vice versa using the gua gua / publico car / taxi; got off at the bridge, and taken another one to their destination? Time, cost, etc if so? I plan to avoid the route for a while but will eventually have to get from Puerto plata area to the airport; maybe in 1 month or so (unless I book a flight from Santiago). Only carry on bags so would be able to use public transit if we had to. Would also like to visit some friends in Sosua if it isn't too terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.