Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
More like 70 years. Just out of curiosity I tried to find answer to that, and I couldn't really find an exact answer. But from some older both listin articles as well as some blog posts from like 10-15 years ago where they also claim the bridge is over 50+ years old and one blog post claiming it's from the Trujillo era and built around -51, it's likely around 70 years old.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With an extra 3 hours of delay on the detour, I wonder if a bus service heading east from Sosua to Santo Domingo will start up.
I hate Santo Domingo but there are two things we need to do there over the next few months that require trips there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just heard from someone that took the detours yesterday afternoon. He said the detour added 45 minutes going from Sosua to Puerto Plata and 30 minutes coming back. He said there were police everywhere and they are working on the detour to make it easier.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Someone posted on FB that the bridge will have to be demolished and rebuilt, estimating a six month project. That sounds conservative to me.

If the bridge has to be rebuilt, why not take this opportunity to make it a four lane bridge to accommodate the promised Autopista Ambar which is supposed to run along the entire North Coast?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Someone posted on FB that the bridge will have to be demolished and rebuilt, estimating a six month project. That sounds conservative to me.

If the bridge has to be rebuilt, why not take this opportunity to make it a four lane bridge to accommodate the promised Autopista Ambar which is supposed to run along the entire North Coast?
It would make sense to plan ahead but I guess they will cross that bridge when they get to it. Pun intended

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
With an extra 3 hours of delay on the detour, I wonder if a bus service heading east from Sosua to Santo Domingo will start up.
I hate Santo Domingo but there are two things we need to do there over the next few months that require trips there.
That would be great, but even with the bridge out, I doubt the gua-gua union would allow it and they control the routes more than the government does. Are Caribe Tours and Metrobus still coming to Sosua now via the diversion?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's a good question. I'd also like to know how the public taxis and guaguas between Sosua and Puerto Plata are handling things(?).

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
According to the reports from "local" news outlets, Caribe Tours are just driving from Sosúa to the Bridge with small buses and drops the passengers off there and then you have to cross the bridge by foot and take another bus that is waiting on the other side. The same with any Taxis guaguas/transporte publico, they'll drive you from Sosúa to the bridge, you'll cross the bridge, take another transport from the other side to Puerto Plata.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
According to the reports from "local" news outlets, Caribe Tours are just driving from Sosúa to the Bridge with small buses and drops the passengers off there and then you have to cross the bridge by foot and take another bus that is waiting on the other side. The same with any Taxis guaguas/transporte publico, they'll drive you from Sosúa to the bridge, you'll cross the bridge, take another transport from the other side to Puerto Plata.
Any bets on whether the taxis/guaguas/publicos charge 1/2 of the previous full fare for each leg of the Sosua to PP route ? :rolleyes:

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
And why wouldn't they split the fare ??

Seems fare to me.... pun-pun!!
Yeah, it does seem fair, but that's not what they are doing. You pay the price it cost for you to get from Sosúa - Cangrejo and then next transport you pay the fare from Cangrejo to Puerto Plata. I have not taken public transport in years so I have no idea what it cost, but let's say it normally costs you 70 pesos to go from Sosúa to Puerto Plata, and 50 from Sosúa to Cangrejo and 50 for Cangrejo to Puerto Plata, you are then paying 100 pesos.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Some posters on the Everything DR Facebook page are saying the same thing. The bridge is being demolished and a new bridge will be built to replace it. I’d like to see a wider concrete structure replace it but time is of the essence here so I’m guessing it will be a wider stronger trestle bridge. The trick will be stuffing a temporary Bailey Bridge in there to keep traffic flowing.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Some posters on the Everything DR Facebook page are saying the same thing. The bridge is being demolished and a new bridge will be built to replace it. I’d like to see a wider concrete structure replace it but time is of the essence here so I’m guessing it will be a wider stronger trestle bridge. The trick will be stuffing a temporary Bailey Bridge in there to keep traffic flowing.
The prestressed beams seem to be the go-to solution for many of the new bridges they're building. They probably have a much longer life and no rust issues to worry about.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Google Maps is finally showing a detour. It starts at La Union and ends in Montellano. Estimated time now is 48 minutes from Sosua to Puerto Plata.

Reactions: windeguy
Jun 21, 2021
Cabarete
would be nice if someone with a drone would fly under the bridge and get a close look at the underlying deck support structures that are relevant to the area that sagged. That beam and gap showing is only a part of the larger problem. Anyone?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Google Maps is finally showing a detour. It starts at La Union and ends in Montellano. Estimated time now is 48 minutes from Sosua to Puerto Plata.
I just looked at that. Anyone who goes that way please post the condition of the road on that detour.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just spoke to our garbage man and he said don't bother taking the way Google maps currently shows. Go further when heading from Sosua to the "official" detour near the hardware store and take that. They are working on it to make it easier to drive on it.

Reactions: cavok

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just spoke to our garbage man and he said don't bother taking the way Google maps currently shows. Go further when heading from Sosua to the "official" detour near the hardware store and take that. They are working on it to make it easier to drive on it.
Google maps just takes you on any road without knowing if it is even passable. Do not use for things like this. Locals know more..............

Reactions: thompstr
Status
Not open for further replies.