Cangrejo bridge closed due to major structural failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Didn't they carve through a hill to make part of the bypass..somebody's property?
Not necessarily, the government is quite a big land owner, so it might have been their hill to do whatever they want with. And if not, I would guess it's easier to buy a plot of land that is empty in comparison to where there are several houses.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
https://fb.watch/kxic3aC2Ly/?mibextid=Nif5oz maybe this will make a difference. Right now its not possible to use the detour, a small bridge has been flooded because of the "heavy" rain that has passed this afternoon/night in the area. I'll be going there at 5 am tomorrow as I have to be in Santo Domingo tomorrow, so we'll see if it's possible to cross.

So a lot of people in the area are currently stranded on either side of that small bridge..

• Wow
Reactions: drstock and cavok

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Not necessarily, the government is quite a big land owner, so it might have been their hill to do whatever they want with. And if not, I would guess it's easier to buy a plot of land that is empty in comparison to where there are several houses.
That is true , but not in this case private..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
https://fb.watch/kxic3aC2Ly/?mibextid=Nif5oz maybe this will make a difference. Right now its not possible to use the detour, a small bridge has been flooded because of the "heavy" rain that has passed this afternoon/night in the area. I'll be going there at 5 am tomorrow as I have to be in Santo Domingo tomorrow, so we'll see if it's possible to cross.

So a lot of people in the area are currently stranded on either side of that small bridge..
Yes there was rain but certainly not heavy in Sosua.
If that little rain cell did that wait until a real gully washer (aka:Styrofoam flotilla) comes with the summer heat.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

They might want to move the negations along to build the replacement bridge.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They might want to move the negations along to build the replacement bridge.
Winde - If you think it matters that some people are stuck or inconvenienced and that will precipitate action - then the lack of water from Corr-upcion-plata would have been solved a decade ago

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Winde - If you think it matters that some people are stuck or inconvenienced and that will precipitate action - then the lack of water from Corr-upcion-plata would have been solved a decade ago
I know. It realize that I just want them to get on with it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I know. It realize that I just want them to get on with it.
And I want Shakira to show me how her hips don't lie, but you know the old expression:
"Wish with one hand, sh*t in the other and see which one fills up first"

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
DR law includes eminent domain. This seems to be the perfect scenario

IMG_2514.png

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's what I said before. They met with the owners, will negotiate a little bit and that's what they'll get when push comes to shove.

It's like the people on the Haiti border complaining about the govt. offering them 15 pesos per meter for scrub lands.

Reactions: AlterEgo

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes there was rain but certainly not heavy in Sosua.
If that little rain cell did that wait until a real gully washer (aka:Styrofoam flotilla) comes with the summer heat.
Apparently, there's going to be heavy rain in this area every afternoon this week. It could be a while before this is resolved.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
If they spent the time and the money that was spent on building that bypass on building the actual bridge it would've been done already.

Reactions: Kricke87

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Apparently, there's going to be heavy rain in this area every afternoon this week. It could be a while before this is resolved.
Well I passed it this morning so it seems to only have been affected during that specific time last night.
But yeah, we'll see. Because I don't think it comes down to the need of the few vs the need of many. It rather comes down to the fact that Puerto Plata is a big tourist destination, so not having that bridge is a blemish to DR reputation.
Why the issue with coraaplata has not been resolved?
Short answer, it doesn't affect tourists, only people living here.
What happened last night ended up in Listin Diario, I highly doubt that an area in Puerto Plata not getting water is of any high interest or priority for the ones in charge in the Capital.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa

Once again with this rain that we had/are having, the alternate route has been affected and currently traffic is not passing on either side.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Once again with this rain that we had/are having, the alternate route has been affected and currently traffic is not passing on either side.
One of the issues is they aren't cleaning out the pipes. They are full of limbs, leaves and every type of trash (and then some) Dominicans throw out their car windows or drop while riding their motorcycles.
If they hire six guys to clean it out on a dry day the water wouldn't over top the road so easily - but what a nasty job

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Continuing embarrassment of government incompetence.
A friend in Montellano told me that a section of the Montellano- Cangrejos bypass was washed out because of heavy rains.
People stuck on both sides.
That also means ambulances can't pass to P.P.
That's the major highway connecting communities on the North Coast.

Reactions: cavok

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Is the little bridge still washed out? I’m stuck on the Puerto Plata Side.

A friend in Cangrejo told me it’s open now. The bottleneck probably won’t clear for at least a few more hours.

What a disaster.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Is the little bridge still washed out? I’m stuck on the Puerto Plata Side.

A friend in Cangrejo told me it’s open now. The bottleneck probably won’t clear for at least a few more hours.

What a disaster.
Well it's not a little bridge. It's a couple of concrete culvert pipes filled over with caliche and the culverts are plugged up.
Could have been a bridge - we used to make temporary bridges with railroad flat cars. Sufficient for this short span and could have been built higher with more space under for rain flow

Status
Not open for further replies.