Cangrejos Bridge Has New Damage

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
2 or 3 "double T" beams across the river and they're in business.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Heres some good news
On detrás del rumor is an article with pics of what the new bridge will look like.
claims it will be ready in 7 months
That is good news, but the pictures show green areas on both sides of the beach. Currently there are buildings on both sides of the beach, so does that mean that they will be demolished, is the road going to take a different route from its current one, or are the pictures just inaccurate?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
That is good news, but the pictures show green areas on both sides of the beach. Currently there are buildings on both sides of the beach, so does that mean that they will be demolished, is the road going to take a different route from its current one, or are the pictures just inaccurate?
they look like artist renditions. Maybe they found these on the internet somewhere and used them instead of having their own done. Who knows

Reactions: chico bill

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Of course, I meant to say both sides of the BRIDGE. I think I must spend too much time on the beach!

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Residents in the Sosua / Cabarete area should get ready for Cangrejo bridge demolition. so plan ahead of time your trips as demolition equipment should be arriving in the next weeks. Two huge cranes will be set up in both sides of the bridge in order to remove the old structure and beging the installation of the new ones after cement foundation is completed.
Constructora MAR is the contractor construction company that will be encharged of the works of the new bridge and the reconditioning of the secondary road or detour. The cost of both is about $135. Millions Pesos.

Good luck with that.

JJ

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
bachata, is it official they will build the new bridge in the exact same location as the old one requiring the detour to be in effect for many months?

The first plan stated by the government was to build a new bridge in parallel with the old one and then take the old one down, but perhaps they are now going back on that. Going with the original idea would mean some houses and businesses would be demolished.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Heres some good news
On detrás del rumor is an article with pics of what the new bridge will look like.
claims it will be ready in 7 months
I am betting 12+ months followed by a huge falderal with elegant ribbon cutting complete with fat-faced politicians squeezing into the ceremonial photo like sardines in a Chinese trawler's hold.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Residents in the Sosua / Cabarete area should get ready for Cangrejo bridge demolition. so plan ahead of time your trips as demolition equipment should be arriving in the next weeks. Two huge cranes will be set up in both sides of the bridge in order to remove the old structure and beging the installation of the new ones after cement foundation is completed.
Constructora MAR is the contractor construction company that will be encharged of the works of the new bridge and the reconditioning of the secondary road or detour. The cost of both is about $135. Millions Pesos.

Good luck with that.

JJ
That's only $2.5 million dollars. It sure won't be a fancy structure at that price, especially if it includes detour & secondary road work too.
The ol' Cheapie-Cheapie

Reactions: thompstr

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's only $2.5 million dollars. It sure won't be a fancy structure at that price, especially if it includes detour & secondary road work too.
The ol' Cheapie-Cheapie
I'm guessing it will be a few connected double T beams next to each other. Nothing fancy and quick and easy to build.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I'm guessing it will be a few connected double T beams next to each other. Nothing fancy and quick and easy to build.
Quick ? In DR
You mean easy like the workers will take it easy ?

Rough guess as to how many 100s of Styrofoam lunch cartons will be thrown into Rio Verde ?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
My bad, RD$190. Millions is the budget just for the bridge and another $119. For reconditioning secondary road.

JJ

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
From the sketch, which I know is artistic and maybe not reflective of actual design, it looks like cantilevered concrete abutments with WF steel beams in the middle.
I guess they will release the design soon so we can all see what was designed and who engineered it.

The old bridge served for many years and is still a design used in many places today, especially in country road river crossings. I kind of like it.
I guess if there is no superstructure on the new bridge the realtors and Lifestyles will have to erect their billboards elsewhere leading into the North Coast
The superstructure reminds be of the 40s and 50s art deco era The new design looks like bland soviet mid-60s architecture

Reactions: JD Jones

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The structures will be made of Ormigon armado, "Concrete" múltiples vigas "columns" of 45 Meter.
Length 91.48 m x 11.90 W.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
That's how the build Bridges here in the US.

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is the latest post, September 14, 2022, I can find about the bridge on Facebook (Detras Del Rumour) :

Government will immediately start construction of a new bridge over the Camu River in Cangrejos, Puerto Plata
With an investment of more than 190 million pesos, the central government will start this week the construction of a new bridge over the Camu River in the Sabaneta community of Crabs, which has to be ready in seven months.
This road infrastructure work will be executed by the Ministry of Public Works and Communications (MOPC) through the MAR Constructor, complying with all quality standards set by national and international protocols.
In the DR , immediately obviously means some time in the future. I have not seen anything that that old bridge will be taken down before the new one is built,

Is there a new link not showing up when I search for this on Facebook?

• Love
Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
This is the latest post, September 14, 2022, I can find about the bridge on Facebook (Detras Del Rumour) :

In the DR , immediately obviously means some time in the future. I have not seen anything that that old bridge will be taken down before the new one is built,

Is there a new link not showing up when I search for this on Facebook?

Probably the colunms are already made, prefabricated all they need is to be transported and installed.

JJ

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The structures will be made of Ormigon armado, "Concrete" múltiples vigas "columns" of 45 Meter.
Length 91.48 m x 11.90 W.

JJ
Did you get a peak at the design ?
45 meters for what - I am unclear?
No columns would need anywhere near height that and concrete beams cast in DR could not span 295'.
Current bridge span is only about 160'-180' long

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
No columns would need anywhere near height that and concrete beams cast in DR could not span 295'.
When Bachata answered he wrote in spanish "vigas" that translates to beams, which is what he ment, Im pretty sure.

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
45 Meter long from one side of the river to the other.

JJ