Cangrejos Bridge Has New Damage

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Took the detour this morning. Very little traffic.
But the speed bumps are very high and there are some very deep swales to let water cross the road.
Not recommended for a Honda Civic type car.
But the public taxis stop and plug things up on the narrow road into Montellano.
If you need to go - go on a Sunday

Reactions: Auryn

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Despite what others have said the road to Santtiago via Moca is no picnic either. I went there this week and although there is a short stretch in the middle where the road is finished and the going is good, most of the rest is a construction site, which the Hyundai sedan I was driving didn't like at all.

Reactions: cavok

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I guess that there is more than one way through the campo. I went in through Madre Vieja and came out through Arroyo de Leche. But I was just exploring, a couple of years ago, not seeking a bypass.
When I was young I used to do that route from Sosua Abajo to Jamao Al Norte riding my Yamaha Enduro...

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
They reconditioned the detour, looks pretty good to me, I passed through in September last year and it was a dirt road at that time.

Education that's what Dominican people need.

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is an artifle in today's Listín Diario about the worry this could affect tourism quite negatively. If this message keeps appearing, it could have a positive impact by making the government focus on building the new bridge and open ASAP vs twenty years from now. lol

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There is an artifle in today's Listín Diario about the worry this could affect tourism quite negatively. If this message keeps appearing, it could have a positive impact by making the government focus on building the new bridge and open ASAP vs twenty years from now. lol
You had the right information. However, the article was in "el Caribe" of 19 of Jan, "Ashnorte cree falta de puente afectará turismo". The president of the Association of Hotels and Tourism expressed his "concern" about the slow work. Where is government transparency? What is it going to take to light a fire under the government's feet to expedite bridge building? Guess, the only fires that will work are hundreds of incinerated gomas placed by protesters at the bridge bypass approaches???

Regards,

PJT

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The Dominicans are complaining. I saw a video that shows nothing is being done yesterday or today. The asphalt removal is complete after more than a week of work. Now the concrete deck removal will take a little longer before the dismantling of the steel structure. Its not looking good for a quick job.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
From the looks of this video the old bridge will not be out anytime soon.

https://fb.watch/iLKjSnSO77/

On the bypass most of the dips in the road have been filled in and the speed bumps removed for faster transit times. Yesterday a concrete pumper truck lost its brakes and crashed into a home injuring 5 people. Its just a matter of time until the next accident happens hopefully not more serious.

• Wow
Reactions: Auryn and cavok

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
You'd need a good meal after that day's work !!!
I did that type of work when I was younger. When you get home eating is not the first thing on your mind. The vibrations are still going through your body and the tingling in your hands takes a long time to go away.

Reactions: JD Jones

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
You'd need a good meal after that day's work !!!
Sometimes I have days like this, breaking loose Frozen lug nuts using a 60 lbs heavy 1" drive in impact gun, sometimes just a couple but on a bad day all of them.
Worse than that a frozen torque rod or a rear brake drum when usually I will be banging for a little while using a 15 pounds Hammer.

My while body shakes all day long!

JJ

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Yepp, "work" on the bridge has been a stand still during the past few weeks until today because of yesterdays accident.
Just this week there's been 3 incidents which has led to long queues, good thing I wasn't there at those times.
I have to travel back and forth EVERY weekday on that road, and it's getting old quite quickly.
The alternate route is not bad per se, just that it's not made for heavy trucks.
Everytime there's a truck/bus that goes pass that road it cause a smaller traffic jam. And because of lack of regulations there are sooo many trucks that just "randomly" breaks down on that road that it's hilarious.

This is at least going to take until next year, and there WILL be severe accidents on this road, in general people drive like crazy and try to overtake at any point.

Reactions: Auryn

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The bypass is good when there is no traffic but as soon as the first A-Hole decides to pass where it is two lanes then the clogging begins and if there is one thing the DR is not lacking it is A-Hole drivers.

I think we can all agree if you are prone to road rage this is the last country you should be driving in because you will get 'triggered' fairly easily. Always drive listening to easy listening jazz for the calming effect.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
They should hire the guys breaking up the newly-paved curbs in Sosua (the road crew armed with picks and sledge hammers). :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They should hire the guys breaking up the newly-paved curbs in Sosua (the road crew armed with picks and sledge hammers). :ROFLMAO:
I was wondering when someone would take notice of how poor a job was being done on the curbs - well below the even pathetic Dominican standard

Reactions: Astucia