Cangrejos Bridge Has New Damage

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well at the pace of construction my estimate of 7 months may have been optimistic to see the new bridge opened. I'm extending my estimate to predict we won't see the new bridge opened in 2023

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
From MOPC

E7C166EC-B6D5-4077-98EB-312057A0084A.jpeg

Reactions: AlaPlaya

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Who will clean the river of concrete debris........answer no one.
c'mon man - what's a few tons of man-made pollution ?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Construction will go much faster than deconstruction.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Construction will go much faster than deconstruction.
Remember that the Cangrejos Bridge, like almost all metal and all suspension bridges in the DR, was built by Trujillo. Aka, well built.

The running joke is that a Trujillo-built bridge has never collapsed due to a rising river or just for the heck of it (like the Ponton Bridge in La Vega) and the kicker is that it's right. Bridges that collapse are almost always newer ones. Even with little maintenance (ahem -Cangrejos Bridge- ahem), they last a long time. With adequate maintenance they last even longer, but for the DR that is asking for too much.

Whatever anyone thinks of the dictatorship, the one thing everyone agrees about is that things were well built and to lasts. Sort of how in Italy under Mussolini the trains were always on time. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: chico bill

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are a lot of Trujillo era govt. buildings in Santo Domingo and many of them are very impressive structures. Some almost look like monuments with their high ceilings and pillars in front.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Here is a video of some of the progress at the bridge work.

Starting to prepare to begin forming the abutments. Rebar cages are being put together. Construction supplies all across the road.
Also shows a few rowboats that take people across the river. Mostly for the workers but also anyone else that needs to get to the other side....25 pesos wether you have it or not they will take you across.
Most all the businesses are on the verge of closing seeing as there is no traffic.

Meanwhile on the bypass I went by yesterday and see they are cutting a roadway thru the very steep hill and making it wider so the cars can pass the trucks as they climb the hill. That looks like it will be another week or two to get done.