Canned tuna: What's the deal?

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
Okay, I've tried every variety of tuna I've found in Playero to date. All of them have been labeled "chunk light" tuna. I've worked in the grocery industry for 20 years and I can definitely tell you 2 things: This tuna is not "chunk" it is flaked. Secondly, it is most definitely not "light" tuna it is dark. Back in Canada this stuff would be classified as pet food. So, I just have to ask what is the deal with this stuff. I realize that some shenanigans might be happening because this is the DR and everybody wants to make a peso...

What troubles me is that 2 of the companies are very well known commercial producers back in North America. Brunswick is the number one producer of sardines back home. Bumblebee is a very well known brand in the States. Are they shipping all of their junk down here?

If anybody else is as curious as I am, you can reach the respective companies here:

BRUNSWICK Sardines

BumbleBee

Something isn't right....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Are they shipping all of their junk down here?
Yes, they do.
You had better get used to it.
It doesn't just apply to tuna.
If a company has a run of defective products, they look for a 3rd world country to dump it in, so you can't even count on a brand name being trustworthy.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Whatever happened to tuna packed in natural oil? All i've seen for years is packed in cottonseed oil or water.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Whatever happened to tuna packed in natural oil? All i've seen for years is packed in cottonseed oil or water.
Natural oil? Like 30w?

I've only seen tuna in spring water or cottonseed oil (which is fairly light).

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I have to agree, taste like cheap cat food! I have tried many brands and haven?t found one that doesn?t give me nausea. :tired:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
taste like any other canned tuna and is far from CAT FOOD - my cat would never ever eat canned tuna!
LOL

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
doh!

Tuna!!! Canning process. Feed it to your cat. How do they get from point to point? Want a consult?

is there nothing safe in this world?
you know in USA there are shops with organic pet food?
o tempora, o mores!

shad, i had a friend who'd eat cat food but only when drunk.

as to the tuna, how come i never see cans with "tuna in brine"? it's always some sort of smelly oil...

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
ask a cat owner.....

I have two Florida born cats here with me who both love canned tuna....US stuff......
here only one will even sniff the DR stuff & the other will totally refuse to even smell it.....
I certainly would not consume it - looks like garbage, eh? probably US homeless who are reknowned to consume cat food, would even pass.....

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
My cat hardly eats the tuna here

She will eat some of it in a pinch, but much prefers the canned cat food.
Perhaps we are missing something.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Prices

La Sirena sells Bumblebee:

Chunk Light Tuna: $44.95 pesos per can.

White Albacore Tuna: $119.95 pesos per can. (That's only about $3.55 U.S. for the small can)

Wow, how lucky we are to live in a third world country with such great low prices for such high quality food.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
cat fish

Tuna is too fancy for cats. In my book, no cat is worth a can of tuna. Let them eat mice. I'm a tuna fan myself, always buy the solid pack, never the minced fish, who know what's in it, maybe cat fish, Argh!. However, fresh tuna steak is my favorite. And forget about mercury poisoning (I read that the FDA has ill-advised tuna consumption for pregnant women, and the 'safe' level is about one can a week), plus you can clean your system with a once-a-year EDTA chelation (got that spelled right?) therapy, and if some left over, save it for your inverter batteries. My neighbors in Azua hate tuna, however they love cat. They say cat taste better than rabbit. No rabbits around either...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tuna is too fancy for cats. In my book, no cat is worth a can of tuna. Let them eat mice. I'm a tuna fan myself, always buy the solid pack, never the minced fish, who know what's in it, maybe cat fish, Argh!. However, fresh tuna steak is my favorite. And forget about mercury poisoning (I read that the FDA has ill-advised tuna consumption for pregnant women, and the 'safe' level is about one can a week), plus you can clean your system with a once-a-year EDTA chelation (got that spelled right?) therapy, and if some left over, save it for your inverter batteries. My neighbors in Azua hate tuna, however they love cat. They say cat taste better than rabbit. No rabbits around either...
I hear the chopped tuna has porpoise, manatee. spotted owl and bald eagle in it.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
No matter what topic is discussed---how does it always get to the point where a woman is being demeaned???

Respectable women read these posts also.

Your comment was uncalled for