Can't pay overstay fee in cash now??

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So if a person does not have a credit card or a debit card, what are the alternatives ?

…offer the person in line behind you cash to put your exit fee on their card? Then cross your fingers. Or maybe don't overstay your tourist card.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
I need not tell you that what's sorely lacking from this thread is official confirmation of a new procedure--if it exists. That doesn't mean that word-of-mouth reports should be discounted but it does mean that they need to be confirmed.

Accepting a credit but refusing a debit card is a silly distinction and hard to believe. Suppose it's true that ONLY plastic is accepted. Knowing how Dominicans' eyes light up when they see money, it's hard to believe RD$ 2,0000 notes in hand being refused. For me, I could use a debit or credit card but I am leaving the country in a few weeks and was intending to bring cash. I don't like surprises. Kudos to the first member here who can procure official word.

Reactions: Yolatengo

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I need not tell you that what's sorely lacking from this thread is official confirmation of a new procedure--if it exists. That doesn't mean that word-of-mouth reports should be discounted but it does mean that they need to be confirmed.

Accepting a credit but refusing a debit card is a silly distinction and hard to believe. Suppose it's true that ONLY plastic is accepted. Knowing how Dominicans' eyes light up when they see money, it's hard to believe RD$ 2,0000 notes in hand being refused. For me, I could use a debit or credit card but I am leaving the country in a few weeks and was intending to bring cash. I don't like surprises. Kudos to the first member here who can procure official word.
I've used a debit card to pay my overstay fee a gazillion times....

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada

Just how long must one overstay their tourist visa to rack up 20k pesos in fees??

Sheesh, that's seems like a lot lol. Might as well apply for residency at that point.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I wonder what thier plan B is. Refusing someone to leave because they don't have a functioning credit seems kinda silly if they are offering cash.
Maybe a kind employee will help them for a 20% surcharge, in cash .
I think some employees will be getting a cut in their salary....:cry::cry::cry:

• Haha
Reactions: Buzz65

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I flew out of SDQ yesterday and they allowed me to pay cash. Also there were no signs tellling travelers that only card payments were accepted. So I'm guessing this new "rule" is like any other rule in the DR: it's barely enforced.
Or at least it's not enforced at SDQ.

What I didn't like though, was the fact that a security guard felt entitled enough to stop me while I was about to get in line for customs. He took my Canadian passport out of my hand (without asking) and then asked me if I actually lived in Canada. Apparently he was under the impression that I was a Dominican or Haitian using a fake passport from a first world country, due to my skin color. I called him out on this BS and told him in Spanish that I didn't see him stopping these white Canadians in their tracks when they were lining up, only me... at which point he got embarassed and looked away in shame.

Then later I get to migración/customs, I hand my passport and boarding pass to the agent... he opens it and then asks if I have a dominican document? ("Tiene documento dominicano?"). I reply no... he checks his computer, types some notes, then asks me a second time if I have a "documento dominicano"... to which I reply "no" again.

Dude, I'm handing you my canadian passport with all my identification details in it, why TF do you need a Dominican document for??

Some of these clowns working in the customs areas don't seem to comprehend that "Canadienses" or "Americanos" can come in any and every skin color, not just white.

This is the 3rd time in 7 years such an incident happens, and it's always when i'm about to fly OUT of DR (never when I land): 1st time was in 2017 at Samana airport, they scanned or lasered my passport with some type of ultraviolet light to make sure it was "real"... while talking to me in Spanish.

Second time I was flying out of Puerto Plata in 2018; migración/customs agent demanded I show him a second ID with my residential address on it... Showed him my canadian driver's licence.

Apparently these clowns have never seen a black passport holder from any country other than DR and Haiti, even though they work there literally everyday and get to meet thousands of travelers on a daily basis.

F*cking idiots.

Stay tuned for the next episode of "Traveling While Black".

• Wow
Reactions: Buzz65

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I flew out of SDQ yesterday and they allowed me to pay cash. Also there were no signs tellling travelers that only card payments were accepted. So I'm guessing this new "rule" is like any other rule in the DR: it's barely enforced.
Or at least it's not enforced at SDQ.

Then later I get to migración/customs, I hand my passport and boarding pass to the agent... he opens it and then asks if I have a dominican document? ("Tiene documento dominicano?"). I reply no... he checks his computer, types some notes, then asks me a second time if I have a "documento dominicano"... to which I reply "no" again.

Dude, I'm handing you my canadian passport with all my identification details in it, why TF do you need a Dominican document for??
Based on my experience and on your comment, the migration was perhaps only trying to save money for you? By saying that you "paid in cash", you overstayed as a foreigner. By asking if you have a DR ID on you, the migration officer was trying to establish if you have a residency in the country, so you would not have to pay the fee. They asked this multiple times to be sure before making you pay. As you did not, they made you pay the fee... That's how I see it...

As an answer to our question why DR document, to show your legal status and possibly saving the overstay fee... Rather simple...

Many years back, I traveled with my EU passport and each time migration would ask me if I had a DR ID to establish if I have a residency...

Reactions: Buzz65 and SKY

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
SDQ still accepts cash to pay overstay fine. PUJ and ROMANA no. not sure about POP. (I buy my marbetes online with credit card)