Can't this be changed?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
After not having visited DR1 for several days I went online again, trying to see the New Posts but Dolores's news clippings were just TOO much!!
The site is not what it used to be and I'm not referring to eliminating the OT section.
Ah, there are just so many things in Dominican life that people want to change. Change the government, wear mask NO! change that, no mask." It's too hot , change the temperature on the AC amor" It goes on and on. Such is life in the DR. Be patient and follow the age old word as your guide : Mañana .

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo
Jan 9, 2004
It has returned to its "roots" and the new format has relegated DR1 to be a mirror of Dominican Today (but at least DT has photos on its homepage to attract readers).

Closing of OT (which had many other informative threads............not just politics) was most unfortunate.........and what set it apart from DT. Now it is merely a clone.

In a prior thread, I described the new software as Old Coke versus New Coke and that opinion still stands.

Now disagreements have spilled into the regular threads, as predicted, and instead of posters being removed..........issues in threads involving the Dominican Republic are merely closed.

As a long time poster, my observation is that for a number of reasons the site has now lost its mojo............but perhaps that was the intent........................and If that was the intent..........it has succeeded.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Maybe it is just my flawed impression but I enjoyed the old forum software. It was easy to maneuver through the threads and was pretty snappy speed wise. I find it takes a very long time to do the same amount of thread reading on the new forum. So I now tend to skip everything I'm not actually interested in instead of trying to stay on top of all the info and poster positions on things. I guess you could say I do a lot of headline glancing and then move on. I find reading 30 mostly irrelevant replies in a thread to be both tedious and, on the eyes and trying on one's patience.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I like the new format. I started using dr1 more again just at beginning of lockdown and had just bought a new Iphone and its easier now to read and post on a smartphone on the new format. I also like the new focus only on the Dominican Republic. So lets leave it that. It is what it is.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The new format is great.
Time for change, is the time for change. Just as in the restaurant/bar world, there is a time to change the curtains and tables.......
BUT......
One person, should not be able to possess 4 or 5 different identities within as well.

Reactions: aarhus

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Horrendous, many folks enjoyed the forum, the forum is gone.
I understand the desire to have a news site like Dominican Today, but why eliminate the forum?
I wonder if the ad revenue has gone down?
It should have tripled during Pandemia with everyone glued to their keyboards.
Truly a shame.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I don’t know if I am right about this but my impression is there are more new members coming in maybe a slightly younger new crowd to. maybe more millennials. If that is true that would be a positive.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have struggled with the new but I struggle with most things new. I now click on new posts, an the results allow me to easily ignore the news feeds and concentrate on the other board postings.

Maybe that method will be helpful for others.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The new format is great.
Time for change, is the time for change. Just as in the restaurant/bar world, there is a time to change the curtains and tables.......
BUT......
One person, should not be able to possess 4 or 5 different identities within as well.
Reflection of the real world?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Horrendous, many folks enjoyed the forum, the forum is gone.
I understand the desire to have a news site like Dominican Today, but why eliminate the forum?
I wonder if the ad revenue has gone down?
It should have tripled during Pandemia with everyone glued to their keyboards.
Truly a shame.
What do you mean - "the forum is gone"? This is the forum, and it includes popular topics such as Coronavirus, Tourist Overstays, The Future of Sosua, Edenorte - all subjects that have been seen on the forum since before the change.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I have struggled with the new but I struggle with most things new. I now click on new posts, an the results allow me to easily ignore the news feeds and concentrate on the other board postings.

Maybe that method will be helpful for others.
Is ‘Whats New’ where one has already participated and ‘New Posts’ where one has not ?