Canuck in need of help

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Goal reached and surpassed!! I can't imagine the relief these donations will bring to Pat and his family. He's still got a ways to go before he's back on his feet but at least there's a big load off his shoulders now. A big thank you to everyone who made this possible!!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I did not dislike your post. Overly fat fingers scrolling down. Not even sure how it happened. My sincere apologies.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Good afternoon!

Little did I think we would get the kind of response to Pat's issue! I am happy to say that Pat flew back to Canada yesterday...a very uncomfortable trip I might add...given his condition and the amount of leg room on a charter 737.
Thanks to Tim Hall (i believe), there is a doctor in MTL that will be looking after Pat....the sooner the better.

I know sincerely, that Pat is overwhelmed by this support.

When I started supporting a school i the Hoyo many years ago, my motto was and still is "Giving a Little...Changes Alot".

The support for Pat follows the same formula!

On behalf of Pat, his family and his close friends...thanks to all for the support, be it financial or otherwise.

PCMike

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well I hope since he's a Canuck he gets some coverage from their medical system.
And he listened to some of us who urged him to follow up at home.
Infections can be a bear to get under control.
Even with the best doctor the DR it is just not the best place to deal with post-surgery infection.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Well I hope since he's a Canuck he gets some coverage from their medical system.
And he listened to some of us who urged him to follow up at home.
Infections can be a bear to get under control.
Even with the best doctor the DR it is just not the best place to deal with post-surgery infection.

I see the gofundme amount has been raised to 15K. I hope folks continue to help.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Someone above reported Pat has gone back to Canada. My assumption was that the gofundme was the cost for the new hip here in the DR. If this is being done in Canada without healthcare coverage, expect the total amount needed to go even higher.

I have to admit, I never really understood what the actual treatment plan was, is, would be, and didn't really care when sending a few ducats through the ether.

Last edited:

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Sorry I did not update for a few days! Pat had his operation a few days ago in MTL. It took over 5 hours and a lot of blood...7+ litres. I talked with him the day after and he sounded good, despite the heavy sedation. His weight is definately down and he is not sleeping much. He has had a steady flow of friends and family drop by, as well as our support locally. Thursday night we had a little gathering at the Corner Bar that garnered a further $749usd.

With any luck, Pat will be released on Monday and spend time with his family in MTL. He has a long way to go, but had he not dealt with this when he did, the outlook could have been fatal. Due to him being out of the country for so long, I do not believe that provincial assistance came into effect.

Once again...thanks for the support and concern.

Mike

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sorry I did not update for a few days! Pat had his operation a few days ago in MTL. It took over 5 hours and a lot of blood...7+ litres. I talked with him the day after and he sounded good, despite the heavy sedation. His weight is definately down and he is not sleeping much. He has had a steady flow of friends and family drop by, as well as our support locally. Thursday night we had a little gathering at the Corner Bar that garnered a further $749usd.

With any luck, Pat will be released on Monday and spend time with his family in MTL. He has a long way to go, but had he not dealt with this when he did, the outlook could have been fatal. Due to him being out of the country for so long, I do not believe that provincial assistance came into effect.

Once again...thanks for the support and concern.

Mike
Please keep us posted. I think those of us who chipped in now feel a kinship, whether we know him or not. Personally I don't care where the money was spent to get the operation, but I'm glad he decide to go to Canada, where they hopefully are way more advanced in infection control. I've seen first hand how quickly an infection can destroy bone and tissue.

Seeing the time they took for surgery and amount of blood used, I'm thinking they were correcting some issues that occurred here during or post-op on the first attempt here for the artificial hip replacement ?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Please keep us posted. I think those of us who chipped in now feel a kinship, whether we know him or not. Personally I don't care where the money was spent to get the operation, but I'm glad he decide to go to Canada, where they hopefully are way more advanced in infection control. I've seen first hand how quickly an infection can destroy bone and tissue.

Seeing the time they took for surgery and amount of blood used, I'm thinking they were correcting some issues that occurred here during or post-op on the first attempt here for the artificial hip replacement ?

Most Canadian hospitals make it a practice to get you out of the hospital as fast as possible, mainly due to infection possibilities. Quebec had a very bad C-difficile scare in a couple of hospitals a few years ago and cleaning protocol was vastly improved as a result. Montreal has very good hospitals and doctors so I am sure Pat was in good hands.

An interesting factoid to know, and it applies to some other types of surgeries: To reduce the risk of infection, antibiotics are routinely given at the time of surgery. Rarely, the implant is at the source of the infection. If this happens, the implant must be surgically removed, antibiotics are administered for 6 weeks. After the infection is resolved a second hip replacement surgery may be performed.

While the risk of infection decreases as the surgical wounds heal, it never completely goes away. People are advised to tell their dentists about their joint replacements, because any dental procedure carries a small risk of bacterial infection. Antibiotics taken ahead of time can prevent bacterial infections. Viral infections such as the flu are not a risk to the implant.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
@Bob Saunders...new dental work protocols for people with implants... the 4 amoxicillin pills 1hr before dental work is no longer advised. I have 2 knee and 2 shoulder implants and was advised last summer in Ottawa that that procedure was no longer necessary.
However, if I get dental work done here in DR you can bet that I will revert to the old protocol!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
All too often patients accept what a doctor says and never ask questions.

Is this the best implant available today?
Is this the best medication for my condition?
Are your treatment options being constrained by the insurance company?
Are you/is this the best place for me to get the treatment I need?
How much would "this" cost me if I paid for it myself?

You really have to be proactive and involved with your treatment and care in the DR. If you just sit back and let "them" get on with it, you may not get what you think you should and receive treatment that may not be in your best interest. I have no doubt that insurance companies try to reduce their costs at the expense of patients who are too timid to speak up for themselves. I also get the feeling that lots of resident foreigners may be under insured without a bankroll to fall back on. This situation can easily lead to accepting inferior treatment options to keep the procedural costs within the scope of their existing medical coverage.

I also suspect that it is not uncommon for people to not completely understand their health insurance policy. It is not the easiest document to read and understand in a foreign language - you cannot accept the statements made by insurance agents at face value - those promises need to be explicitly written into the policy or they are just hollow promises.