Car financing to non residents?

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
Hey all, hope everyone is safe out there!

I haven't posted in a while but I'm really happy to see the page still going strong and updated...

Ok so here it goes, I'm looking into getting a small car to move around while in RD next year and was wondering if anyone can tell me if banks or dealers finance cars to NON RESIDENTS... I'm Dominican/ American but still haven't gone the extra mile to do my dual citizenship (I will in 2021).

I have a Bank account in DR with Banco de Reservas, my family has a house in Salcedo, I travel often to the country and am planning to live there in the next few years (God willing).

Any advice, info and or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2004

I haven't posted in a while but I'm really happy to see the page still going strong and updated...

Ok so here it goes, I'm looking into getting a small car to move around while in RD next year and was wondering if anyone can tell me if banks or dealers finance cars to NON RESIDENTS... I'm Dominican/ American but still haven't gone the extra mile to do my dual citizenship (I will in 2021).

I have a Bank account in DR with Banco de Reservas, my family has a house in Salcedo, I travel often to the country and am planning to live there in the next few years (God willing).

Thanks!

Yes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Big

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Thanks!

If your parents are/were Dominican, you ARE Dominican, by way of your parents.
I find it odd that you have family here, a bank account here, and never made any attempt to register yourself as a Dominican.....but yet, would now like a car loan?

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
It's fairly challenging to do so as a non-resident. You may be able to do so at a larger dealership, if possible I'd suggest paying cash. Most dealerships in the capital want 30 % down for a used car and 20% for a new car. The car payments are high compared to what you can get in the states at the same price.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Depending where you'll use it ---- Sto Dom... no need to be tough

Where I live - Yup, needed
I have an Isuzu MUX and am getting an X-Terra

My friend got a 'deal' on a Jaguar....
can't negotiate the local roads - needs height and strong suspension

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The op can always go to a local Prestimo I think they are called here. Here they operate legally back home they are called loan sharks

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
I find it odd that you have family here, a bank account here, and never made any attempt to register yourself as a Dominican.....but yet, would now like a car loan?
Ok, you find it odd... We all have our reasons but thanks for your helpful feedback...

Reactions: SKY and JD Jones

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
It's fairly challenging to do so as a non-resident. You may be able to do so at a larger dealership, if possible I'd suggest paying cash. Most dealerships in the capital want 30 % down for a used car and 20% for a new car. The car payments are high compared to what you can get in the states at the same price.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes, but he needs at least a cédula for many things and for that a person must get recognition from the government because it isn't automatic. This is not a naturalization, just a recognition of what already exist. In this case, when a cédula is given there are no limitations unlike naturalized citizens who do have some limitations. For example, a naturalized citizen can never become a president, but that's more of a formality limitation since 99.99% of Dominicans by origin will never become president either due to simple arithmetic. The difference is that naturalized Dominicans are prohibited from the position, Dominicans by origin are not. This difference between origin vs naturalized is also the reason why there are no Dominicans by origin in naturalization ceremonies, unlike foreign citizens that apply for Dominican citizenship.