Car Insurance

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So far the money I saved by NOT taking full insurance for almost all the time here will be close to paying for my next new SUV.

We agree. For a 2009 Toyota Venza they wanted over 60,000 pesos two years ago. We live in an area where we might hit a cow before another car, so we declined.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Casa de cunductor is simply a hotel like place where you would go if in an accident where there are injuries. It takes the place
of the possibility of going to jail. And they are supposed to help you with whatever has to be done in this event.

It is good to have, but only if you are in the area where one is.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My experience with Casa de Conductor was that it was a place where each person (driver) gets to tell their side of what happened to an investigator to determine whose insurance is paying. They have a person to explain what the laws are and whose legally at fault....etc. Not really a hotel, nor a jail. System actually works quite well, unless you live in the campo then you have to go to the casa de conductor in SANTIAGO, Santo DOMINGO...ETC.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
We always have comprehensive insurance purely so that if something really awful happened the insurance company would deal with everything and we wouldn't be personally involved with other people's lawyers (justified or not). To me that peace of mind is worth every peso.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
My understanding is that after cars are 10 years old, you can't get full coverage. Is that correct?

Also, has anyone had a good experience with a claim being paid? All the companies are good at collecting your money, but which ones actually give good service when a claim is made and they need to pay repairs?

Thanks!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My understanding is that after cars are 10 years old, you can't get full coverage. Is that correct?

Also, has anyone had a good experience with a claim being paid? All the companies are good at collecting your money, but which ones actually give good service when a claim is made and they need to pay repairs?

Thanks!

I have Mapfre Insurance and was in an accident of the 4th of March. The insurance is paying for the repair but talk about slow. I am told it will be ready sometime in the next two weeks. Apparently getting side airbags for a Santa Fe was near impossible. The customer Service from the repair shop, Auto Pintare Robles in Santiago is very good, from the Insurance company very poor.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend in Cabrera had an accident.... his car was hit by or hit a moto (depending on who you talk to)..... the passenger on the moto died.
Big problems, lots of pesos being sought.

His insurance company handled all the negotiations and resolved the issue.
I don't know which company.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Tengo banreservas.. I pay $800 a year, and its full coverage, car is 2013. My neighbour next to me drives a 5 year old escalade and doesn't even have insurance... his car is worth almost twice mine... it annoys me he doesn't bother with insurance, I don't drive in his car because of this. I figured it out when he wasn't getting his marabete renewed EVER.. but I'm better off covered in case of emergencyor accident. I really don't want to take the risk, and its busy the streets of Bavaro, lots of Motos, etc.. I spend 6 months a year, he spends 4 months in the DR...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I stopped " full " insurance. Got too complicated, they wanted 1, then 2, now 3 tracker thingy mumble jumbos installed in the car. Dont ask me why. At their cost, mind you.
Just renewed yesterday basic insurance + an option or 2. 8200 pesos for a year. Commercial de seguro in santiago.
BTW, they still didnt ask, and after I did, they said they didnt want/need any DL, dr or other.

They dont care if you have license but if you have a problem be sure it will be a problem. Do whats right!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I stopped " full " insurance. Got too complicated, they wanted 1, then 2, now 3 tracker thingy mumble jumbos installed in the car. Dont ask me why. At their cost, mind you.
Just renewed yesterday basic insurance + an option or 2. 8200 pesos for a year. Commercial de seguro in santiago.
BTW, they still didnt ask, and after I did, they said they didnt want/need any DL, dr or other.

I hear ya, my concern is with the high theft here, what if it gets stolen, you are out a large investment!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't have the coverage details yet but I am renewing my policy this month:

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Suzuki XL-7

Total cost at Banco Progreso will be 77,000 pesos.

BTW, wouldn't this be a Residents' Forum subject ??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
do many 'visitors' own cars ?
I was thinking (perhaps erroneously) that most/many car owners would be residents rather than visitors.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't doubt that PC2..... I was suggesting 'most or many'...
and agree , there may be a few non-residents.

I will still wager that the preponderance of owners have residency status

Where's Berzin.......run a poll

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I own a car and I am only there six months out of the year,no residency status.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
ANYBODY can own a car in the DR. And as far as Insurance, anybody can get that also. As for all the people saying Insurance
will not pay a non resident, well, I have yet to hear about anyone that is not a resident NOT getting paid by an Insurance
company after an accident. I know a lot of people that did get paid.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
ANYBODY can own a car in the DR. And as far as Insurance, anybody can get that also. As for all the people saying Insurance
will not pay a non resident, well, I have yet to hear about anyone that is not a resident NOT getting paid by an Insurance
company after an accident. I know a lot of people that did get paid.

I find in Dominican by the time you hear a fact or story it is somewhat distorted or biased :) If an insurance company did not pay a non resident (expat) you would of heard it all over this board over and over again ....