Car Insurance

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Will JD Sauser's truck work for you..... see his post about a decent used car dealer in SD

In it he says that he will not drive it to the north coast without insurance..... see what is going on??

Need insurance Big Time.... plus maybe his truck will be OK for you

WW
Used car dealer :squareeye

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Cars and trucks here are very expensive.

Which personally I am thankful for. At least it is a way of controlling some of the traffic. Could you imagine what it would be like if every moto driver, all of a sudden could afford a car?

It would be complete mayhem on these roads. The country would be in gridlock overnight. Which incidentally happened in Kenya when they reduced the import duty of cars from 100% to 10%. A five mile journey in downtown Mombasa which used to take ten minutes now can take over two hours!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Here are the annual insurance bills for my household:

Toyota Prado 2003. RD$45,000 full with Monumental
Mitsubishi Pajero 1999. RD$6,000 Ley with La Colonial
Toyota Vitz 1999. RD$7,000 Ley with Universal
Porsche 968 1992. RD$9,000 Ley with Universal It's the closest car to a classic I could get, as it's unique in this country, however no company will touch it with Full.

I had a Honda CRV fully insured with La Colonial about four years ago. It was stolen. Finally got a payout about nine months later for about half the value of the vehicle.

Before the Prado I had a Highlander which was fully insured with Monumental. I had a prang and messed it up quite badly. Monumental fixed it up without too much hassle.

I have DR drivers license and residency.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I fully insured my 2010 Explorer through the agency at the garage where I bought the vehicle, very prompr sevice, insurance document (temporary cover note on the day of delivery), also I asked if they would discount next year if I did not make a clai on the policy and they confirmed that this would be the case. Cost origionally quoted 63,000 pesos, but on the day the cost was fixed at 56,000 pesos for comprehensive policy on a vehicle with a replacement cost of 37,000 US$. (Cabrera Motors Santo Domingo, fist class sevice from the initial request for a quotation). Somewhat steep compared to insurance costs in the UK, but worthwhile when the no claims discount mentioned above is applied each year.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Whatever insurance company you choose, MAKE sure you get Casa de Conductor....thats worth its weight in gold at an accident site

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Thanks everybody for the replies so far, much appreciated.

First we will have a look which car we would like to buy. IF we buy one (still doubting for the moment), we will have a talk with some of the here mentioned insurance compagnies to see what the best formula is and who will give the best quote for the same services or the better services, depending.

I have gotten a lot of good tips here and some more background information as well. Learning everyday from you all! Thx DR1!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Just to clarify this post... we got the 30$ quote from a friend here, and were astonished... no insurance-company, anywhere in the world, could pay out any claim if they only charge those amounts...

So we were doubtful to start with...

If we buy a vehicle, we of course want it insured as best as possible...

As we have a lot of dogs (might come as a surprise to some of you... lol) we are still doubting as to what kind of vehicle we should be looking at...

In Europe, we had a Fiat Scudo, which was a fantastic van... unfortunately not available over here...

Does anybody have any experience with Peugeot Partners over here? I know they are great little vans, with good reputation in Europe, but how is the service over here?

And thanks for all the good advice...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Does anybody have any experience with Peugeot Partners over here? I know they are great little vans, with good reputation in Europe, but how is the service over here?

Only one "real" dealer here as far as I know.

In my humble opinion, only a complete fool would by a Peugeot here.
Parts, service, ability to repair are all a big issue.

Buy a Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc. A vehicle you can get parts for and the mechanics can actually repair.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Robert, thanks for the advice...

The reason I asked is because there is a big dealer now in Santiago, and you see more and more of them around Jarabacoa and La vega...

I know they are thrustworthy little things, but they are computerised... and that is what scares me... over here...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
belgiank, forget european cars. very expensive and difficult to service, as robert said.
in DR the way to go is japanese or american unless you have shyteloads of money and no care in this world.
i remember now that our jeep is insured with colonial, we never had problems with payments.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
well for my 91 previa i pay $5,551 a year for full coverage Here in santiago! 24hr road assistance(have actually used it) up to 500,000 for each person in the vehicle should i have an accident(medical costs) 24 hour help and representatives, and upto $125,000 for repairs! Seguros Universal.

now for my Tahoe Thats a different story i pay $10,000 a year for full coverage.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I know they are thrustworthy little things, but they are computerised... and that is what scares me... over here...

They are not as reliable as Jap/Korean cars and just about anything newish is computerized these days.

I have seen 2-3 car names come and go here and leave people with worthless pieces of junk. I don't care how many you see flying around, you would still be a fool to buy one in my opinion.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
They are not as reliable as Jap/Korean cars and just about anything newish is computerized these days.

I have seen 2-3 car names come and go here and leave people with worthless pieces of junk. I don't care how many you see flying around, you would still be a fool to buy one in my opinion.

Most cars (built after 1996) have an ECM (electronic controle module = computer). I agree 100% with Robert: stay with Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc.

Sometimes a company can buy cars very cheap and just starts a "dealership" but they often don't invest in spare parts, so the first 20,000 to 40,000km everything will be more or less ok, after that you're on your own!

Oh, Dominican mechanics (I think we have about 4million of them in the DR) will always tell you they can repair your car (even when it's a Bugatti Veyron or something like that) because when they say no; they will not make any money...

And then they start "repairing" your car...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
belgiank, forget european cars. very expensive and difficult to service, as robert said.
in DR the way to go is japanese or american unless you have shyteloads of money and no care in this world.
i remember now that our jeep is insured with colonial, we never had problems with payments.
I wouldn't even buy American here. Parts are hard to get and mega expensive.

A Fiat or Peugeot HERE??? :surprised On fine, smooth, well-maintained Euro roads with parts and service readily available everywhere, maybe. Here? No way. No parts and no service, maybe for a while at a dealer, perhaps. But with a typical mechanic? Nope.

Alida's brother had one of those squarish Peugot van/car/SUV thingys for a while. Total crap. Constantly broken.

Ask any good Dominican mechanic: Japanese or Korean (Hynudai) is the only way to go and then stay away from Suzuki if you can. Honda, Toyota, Nissan or Mitusubishi.

daniel san

Mar 16, 2009
ProSeguros

This thread really got me thinking... I believe its time I get full insurance too. Is their a ProSeguros in Cabarete or Sosua? Can anyone tell me how can I find a good Broker?

Thanks!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Any people here experience with a Ford Explorer jepeeta, as I got offered some at decent prices?