Car rental, collision damage waiver

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Why not rent a car from a local? Preferably one with already scratched, dented and cracked windshield. :eek:

Because i flew a lot from Haiti to SD, i made an acquaintance with a young guy who had just had a baby with his wife. He said i could use it for s long as I wanted and pay him what I thought was fair. $20/day and returned with a full tank. He was smiling ear to ear. He checked with policia and they just told him to write a note saying he loaned me the car (not stolen). All the papers were in the car. No problemo.

Your mileage may vary

Eskimo

Mar 3, 2018
My auto insurance covers rental cars in US and Canada, but not in DR. I asked. I also asked if I could buy a rider or temporary coverage from my auto insurance carrier in US. No. They recommended getting it from rental company. The liability and damage waiver from the rental company (Hertz) is bastante caro, but I figure I'm saving some money by vacationing in DR instead of many other places.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Looking for information I'm looking at renting a car from avis at the airport in Santiago has anyone had any experience with them pro's con's. If you paid using credit card any problems. How are the vehicles

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Looking for information I'm looking at renting a car from avis at the airport in Santiago has anyone had any experience with them pro's con's. If you paid using credit card any problems. How are the vehicles

I have rented many times in the DR. Yes, you will need to use a credit card for payment. That is standard operating procedure. Most of the vehicles are fairly new. You most likely will have to take and pay for all the optional insurance. I would suggest you get this anyway. This will protect you against any and all probabilities of fender benders. Good luck.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I rent fairly often, and use a credit card. Some cards, like AMEX, will cover the cost for repairing or replacing the car; thus, you can decline that. HOWEVER, I take the other insurance in case someone gets injured in a collision.

Once, a moto struck me and took the front bumper off a rental car. I held the bike until AMET (I forget the new name) arrived. The driver lacked plates, ID, insurance, and registration. I declined his offer to allow him to go home and get those items. AMEX covered the repair, but I had to get a police report. The latter took at hour at the station.