Car rental in PC to pick up/drop on a Sunday?

colmcb

Mar 22, 2009
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to rent an SUV at PUJ in September, for a Sunday-Sunday rental. Usually we rent from Avis and have done that at the airport and at their Bavaro location. Always pickup on a Sunday and drop again on a Sunday. The website says both locations are only open Monday - Saturday now?? Does anyone know for sure? It surprises me that the airport location would be closed on a Sunday. Not sure if this is just a glitch on the site with everything being shut down right now or they truly do close on Sundays. Just wondering.

We found a good deal on an SUV from Thrifty but haven't rented from them before. Any opinions on them? We'd prefer to pick up/drop right at the airport on this particular trip as there will be 4 of us with suitcases and golf clubs. Thank you!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I had a really bad experience with Avis at Punta Cana airport, they tried to give me this seriously beaten old wreck and when I refused it the only vehicle available was $1,000 extra. Their branch in Santo Domingo also couldn't spell the word customer. And I have had good experiences with Thrifty. To be honest, any car rental company in Dom Rep is always going to work with Dominican rules, ie. trying to screw you for extra money, making things as complicated as they possibly can, not being able to solve a problem. As long as you understand that's how business is done in Dom Rep, I'd just go with whoever has the best deal.

I have a Car Rental Excess policy which covers me for any additional charges made by any car rental company worldwide, up to $6,000. It was really cheap and well recommended. Also paying on Amex often gives you extra protection.

colmcb

Mar 22, 2009
Yes, we've had a couple of issues with Avis and more than our share with Budget in PC. We travel down there frequently so we are indeed aware of the "way they do business" but I appreciate you reiterating it.

Good to know you've had good experiences with Thrifty. The rate is $250 less for the week. As of now - let's see when we show up at the counter though. Hopefully it will go off without a hitch.

Thanks for the response. :)