Cardiologist and other hostages

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Danilo send the Super Tucanos on low flight across the border, this might scare this people...

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Back in February Danilo mention what he was going to do to reinforce border security.

900 soldados, 90 vehículos y 3 helicópteros adicionales

Además, próximamente se adicionarán en la frontera 900 soldados a las fuerzas de seguridad.

“Con esta cifra duplicaremos las fuerzas en nuestra frontera, sobre todo teniendo en cuenta que estos efectivos han sido especialmente formados en la academia, y que estarán sujetos a medidas estandarizadas para evitar cualquier mala práctica”.

La misión de los efectivos será vigilar todos los cruces formales e informales que comunican ambos países, en cada punto de revisión, en cada control de carreteras, en los mercados binacionales y en los caminos vecinales.

También serán sumados, en lo inmediato, 50 nuevos vehículos militares todoterreno a los que se les sumarán 3 helicópteros y 40 vehículos más en mes de mayo.

Incremento de patrullaje costero, flotilla de drones y sistema videovigilancia

“De la misma forma, incrementaremos el patrullaje costero en la zona comprendida entre Manzanillo y Puerto Plata, así como en Pedernales y Barahona. Reforzaremos puntos por donde fluye el mayor número de personas, como Azua y Jicomé”.

La tecnología será de gran utilidad. Una flotilla de drones será desplegada en la frontera, para cuyo manejo se ha capacitado a 30 oficiales.

“De hecho, ya hace dos meses que esos drones están realizando misiones de identificación de los puntos más vulnerables y han demostrado su gran efectividad”.

Junto a esos drones, se instalará un amplio y moderno sistema de video vigilancia que contará con la misma tecnología que el centro de control del 911 y dependerá directamente del Ministro de Defensa.

https://presidencia.gob.do/noticias...royecto-de-nacion-fronteras-propias-seguras-y

We now see how effective it is. I´m sure one of the drones patrolling the border captured the event on video or photos. (Trying to hold in the laughter)

The big question that arises: Does a border wall leaves room for confusion where one country end and the other begins?

An even more relevant question: Would this kidnapping, which in the article it says it is a common occurrence except this time a high profile Dominican was affected, had happened?

If this existed right along the western edge of the border road, the fiasco would had never taken place.

[video=youtube;yWLY6W68954]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWLY6W68954[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The doctor gave an account of what happened via phone in ZolFM.

[video=youtube;P4_oBkjyfQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4_oBkjyfQY[/video]

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Innocent people get hurt or murdered when mob rule occurs...

Exactly, thats why you eradicate it at the first instance.

I never suggested mob lynching, make it organized.
Let them know you will use extreme force against mob rule.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Exactly, thats why you eradicate it at the first instance.

I never suggested mob lynching, make it organized.
Let them know you will use extreme force against mob rule.
It is accomplished with overwhelming force.

If the report of just one soldier with an M16 is accurate, that is not overwhelming force against a mob with machetes.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It is accomplished with overwhelming force.

If the report of just one soldier with an M16 is accurate, that is not overwhelming force against a mob with machetes.

Of course not, he is going to run out of bullets real quick :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For sure 1 M16 is a tad light. A Hilux with a bed mounted .50 cal could have made a nice pink mist from those 100 or so. An infantry solider without the rest of his squad is all but useless. Soldiers in a zone of potential confrontation are never deployed in ones or twos, except here I guess.

Then there is the idea that one is either a soldier or a policeman. The two have completely different mission types and operational parameters. I'm not at all sure that these lad have the training to handle either job well but there is no doubt in my mind that they shouldn't be asked to do both.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
In every other country, people disperse hide when gun fire is present.. in Dominican it’s like a magnet to attract people.. a cop in Sosua shots a guy in foot and he gets mobbed by people and pushed around mostly by women ,only in DR.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is a video of the confrontation I'm having sent to me. I'll get it uploaded to post.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
[video=youtube;s98luxzRV3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s98luxzRV3Y&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Today’s DR1 news

Kidnapping at the border
Media in the Dominican Republic exploded yesterday with the news story that well-known cardiologist Pedro Ureña had been held up for several hours by a crowd of 50-100 Haitians armed with stones, knives and machetes on Saturday, 11 November 2018. He was traveling with a group of motorcyclists along the Carretera Internacional (“no man’s land”) that divides Haiti and the Dominican Republic. He was traveling on the Dominican side of the mostly dirt road. He said they frequently had made the same trip and this was the first time he had been assaulted. They were making their way from the south to Puerto Plata along the border roads. They had started in Pedro Santana.

Once released, the physician contacted El Sol de la Mañana and reported on the scary incident. He said the Haitians created a fire obstacle on the road and then assaulted them taking their motorcycles, keys and cell phones. The men – Dr. Pedro Ureña, Oscar Valiente, Dr. Luis Cordero, Diego Cordero and Oscar Valiente, Pedro Ureña, Luis Andrés Cordero, Diego Cordero, Yoni Aquino, Gilberto Ureña and Juan Manuel Anico.-- were retained with other Dominicans that had been assaulted for around three hours.

One of these told them not to speak, to keep their helmets on and pretend they were Americans. The Dominicans then told the Haitians that the new group was one of Americans and hence they were let free
. Urena said the Haitian assailants returned their belongings. The Dominican urged that the doctors tell the story when they got back to Santo Domingo. Apparently, this is a frequent situation that has not been addressed by those responsible for border security.

Dr. Ureña said he felt sad and indignant. He was especially perplexed that two Dominican army men observed but did not do anything to help them. The men argued they could not use force by themselves and in the area there was no telecom signal to request help. They argued the Haitians committed the theft because one of them had had his motorcycle confiscated in Dajabón, a main border town. Dr. Ureña said the event took place in La Palmita, around 25 kilometers south of Restauración.

Dr. Ureña says this is an unacceptable situation. He said the other Dominicans had been there for hours, waiting in resignation, suffering these same experiences every now and then. In none of the situations do the military intervene, he said. "We were lucky that we passed for Americans, and they returned all our belongings and let us go," says Ureña. "But, and those who live there? Why do they have to give up everything, why do they have to accept their cow is stolen, their vehicle taken, their motorcycle stolen?” he asks. With indignation, he said the Haitians only have to cross to the other side of the border and there is no way they can be reached.

"Here things have to change. Our border has to be a real border. There must be a military presence," explains the cardiologist. "You have to do something different, what is happening does not work," says the doctor.

Back in Santo Domingo the physician said: “What is most shameful for me is that I had to say I was an American to be let go, because if I said I was Dominican I would have been kept. In my country I had to pretend to be a foreigner to get out. That was the drop that made the glass overflow,” he said. He said he left another 10 Dominicans, including one who was transporting cows in a truck, and others in a pick up. He said when they got to Dajabon he heard the group was also let go.

Defense Minister Rubén Darío Paulino Sem has ordered an investigation into the kidnapping of the group by the Haitian mob on a border road within the Dominican Republic.

He said that he had called the doctor to hear his version of events and to understand the circumstances leading to the lack of assistance by Dominican soldiers stationed in the area. He told the press he had spoken with Dr. Ureña to hear his version of the events and to understand the circumstances leading to the lack of assistance by Dominican soldiers stationed in the area.

http://eldia.com.do/los-asaltos-son-...onal-haiti-rd/
https://www.diariolibre.com/actualid...dos-PB11326898
http://hoy.com.do/mira-como-turba-ha...e-motocicleta/
https://listindiario.com/la-republic...en-la-frontera
https://acento.com.do/2018/actualida...s-defendieron/
http://hoy.com.do/turba-de-haitianos...s-dominicanos/

Yes off course they let the "Gringos" go!!!
They didn't wanna take the risk that the Clintons would visit their country again. ;)

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
indeed it seems they were on the Haitian side of the border, near tiroli. and that there was a strike (huelga DR sense, road block and tires on fire) and they were retained by small angry group of people that were protests since Friday because of DR military retained some Haitian motorbikes. Of course that does not make it more acceptable to me. But the strangest thing is that to get on that road from restauración to pedro santana you need a permit from the military, that they give you on one end and you hand on the other end (because precisely the road enters haitian territory) . I wonder if they had permission to transit the rodad , they military wont give you the paper if they know that there were protests?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In this program other family members and friends that accompanied the doctor and were kidnapped too give their account of what happen.

At 7:55 minutes Juan Anico speaks, the first of the group to arrive at the scene and get kidnapped.

He explains how he was surrounded by these young men screaming at him in Creole with machetes and daggers. They grabbed him but he wouldn´t let go of his motorcycle, so another group pulled on the motorcycle´s handles while the other group pulled him back. To prevent the motorcycle speeding off once he takes his hand off the breaks, he decides to turn off the motorcycle. At that moment one of the Haitians put his hand on the ignition switch and grabbed the keys. At that point he let go of the breaks and the handles, and the group of Haitians violently threw him off the motorcycle and dragged him a few meters on the floor. They took everything he had on him (except the helmet). Then the other motorcyclists arrived and of the 60 or so Haitians that surrounded him only 5 or 10 stay with him while the rest rushed to the other guys with the same violent treatment. At one point he noticed two DR guards watching everything and managed to approach them, only to have them say they couldn´t do anything. Then another Dominican approached him and said to remain quiet and to not take his helmet off because the Haitians are saying that the motorcyclists are Americans. At that point Juan heard the word Ameriquen repeated several times in the Creole gibberish.

The guys also said that there was another group of Dominicans that had been captive for about 2 hours by the time they themselves were kidnapped. Those Dominicans were not let go until late at night because they couldn´t pass for Americans.

All them agree that at that the moment they noticed the Haitians screaming at them in a language they don´t understand and threatning with machetes, daggers, and even an ax; they thought they were living the final moments of their lives. Then to see the Dominican authorities do nothing and acting as if this type of things occurs all the time filled them with indignation. The other captive Dominicans also told them these kidnappings are common on the border and that they feel they don´t have authorities looking after their safety.

[video=youtube;5BZLKI9yQ_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BZLKI9yQ_I[/video]

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Second part

[video=youtube;siz_jRSeZns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siz_jRSeZns[/video]

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
indeed it seems they were on the Haitian side of the border, near tiroli. and that there was a strike (huelga DR sense, road block and tires on fire) and they were retained by small angry group of people that were protests since Friday because of DR military retained some Haitian motorbikes. Of course that does not make it more acceptable to me. But the strangest thing is that to get on that road from restauración to pedro santana you need a permit from the military, that they give you on one end and you hand on the other end (because precisely the road enters haitian territory) . I wonder if they had permission to transit the rodad , they military wont give you the paper if they know that there were protests?

No, was not Haitian side.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
There is video on the media today of a civil patriotic movement people who dressing military uniforms.
The challenge of this movement is to secured the border and to stop the pacific invasion of Haitians in the Dominican Republic.

The name of this civil organisation is "La Orden Dominicana".

JJ

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
No, was not Haitian side.

Do you know the area? the road is sometime in DR sometime n Haiti sometimes it is the border. That is why you need a permit from the military. I wonder if they did have one. I have been near Tiroli market the road i know enters Haitian side.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Do you know the area? the road is sometime in DR sometime n Haiti sometimes it is the border. That is why you need a permit from the military. I wonder if they did have one. I have been near Tiroli market the road i know enters Haitian side.

Who care what side it happened since they supposedly were American, since there is Dominican military presence I assume that interception of the road belongs to Dominican territory.

American doesn't need not visa to visit a Sh**t hole country.

JJ

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is a sction of that road that is in Haiti, which is where the situation took place. The river is the border. And if there was military presence, this may also be why they took no protective action: they were in a foreign country.

This also is why there is military presence and checkpoints: they are there to prevent Haitians from coming across the border. That area is desolate so an immigration and customs office is not there.

EBJ8QL.jpg

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Because Haiti would never would let a Dominican military to be in their territories, thats why Im pretty sure was in Dominican side.