Caribe Tours bus down near Jarabacoa

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
That is NOT where it happened. It happened almost 1km down the road at the last, and worst corner before the road goes flat.

Hence why I said "close to this area" and not "here in this area"!

Just to give the readers a perspective of how the twists and turns of the road are in that area close to where the Bus went down the ravine...

On the other hand it took a bit over 4 hours to get the driver out of the wreck and they even used an oxygen tank to provide for the driver's hard breathing while they worked around the mangled bus.

Had they been able to get him out within the hour of the accident, he would had survived his wounds. Talk about a good time to had some jaws of life on hand...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just spoke to a friend who was there - in Jarabacoa - and spent an hour in the traffic at the accident.

Apparently, it was the driver's first trip on that route. Experienced drivers keep the bus in low gear for the descent, this fellow switched gears and lost control - hence, CB's no skid marks observation.

One of the passengers remarked on the gear change - it wasn't her first trip, I guess

All in all, sad news but harks back to the better training suggestions made here