Carnage on Dominican roads is serious issue

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Thanks Bob. It’s sad but true and both disconcerting and disheartening for me. There are many aspects of DR culture I like and enjoy. If education was a priority in the DR, the potential of this country would be even more amazing.
It also would be more expensive for the expats. Plus, if there were more well-educated men then there would be fewer girls in the sex trade as the Dominican men would be able to support them.

Reactions: JD Jones

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The madness and the potential for carnage doesn’t start on the highways. It’s begins at home where many young males are treated like Princes by their parents, Parents who shield them from responsibility and accountability during their formative years.

Education is not a priority for the government judging by the consistently low DR ratings compared to other countries. If the government doesn’t care, why should parents care? Many males drift blindly through an educational system supposedly designed to instil in students a sense of civic pride, duty, awareness of basic laws and the need to respect them for the betterment of society.

Fast forward to the age when they get their first motos. They have no motivation to obey the rules of the road or any other rules for that matter. Certainly no interest in maintaining their motos. The police turn a blind eye to their dangerous driving habits and unsafe motos. The police end up reenforcing their bad habits. If the police don’t care, why should moto drivers care?

Move ahead to when they get behind the wheel of their first automobile with a less than basic education and no formal driver training. What DR culture has produced is a person who has the full potential to create major damage and kill a lot of people in the process. They’re basically immature time bombs waiting to go off at some point. The stats speak for themselves.Their cars are an extension of themselves and the feeling of their god given right to do anything they want and get away with it. No sense of caution or the rules of the road whatsoever.

Put them in poorly maintained trucks and busses with minimal or no training and the danger grows by an order of magnitude. Vehicle accidents and the resulting deaths on a larger scale are inevitable. The recent truck/ bus collision was horrific and wrong on so many levels.

What needs to happen to stop this has been discussed at length on DR1. We know it won’t happen. As EHM say, “Nothing changes if nothing changes”. Trite but true. The only certainty here is the onus is on us to protect ourselves when we get behind the wheel of a vehicle in the DR. Personally I’d rather drive a car than take public transport In the DR and put my life in the hands of a poorly trained inattentive driver or someone high on drugs. I could be wrong but in my car I feel I have some degree of control over my life.

I drove from Punta Cana back to the capital the other night, all this bad news about accidents fresh in my mind. And I have to say, I came across a lot of trucks that were lit up like Christmas trees, mostly driving very sensibly. There was an odd moto with no lights and an odd small van with no lights, but the rest were all driving very well, we commented on how strange it was. I know there are a lot of trucks that drive badly, but it certainly felt that something was getting better.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I drove from Punta Cana back to the capital the other night, all this bad news about accidents fresh in my mind. And I have to say, I came across a lot of trucks that were lit up like Christmas trees, mostly driving very sensibly. There was an odd moto with no lights and an odd small van with no lights, but the rest were all driving very well, we commented on how strange it was. I know there are a lot of trucks that drive badly, but it certainly felt that something was getting better.
And none were driving in the left-hand lane forcing everyone to pass them on the right as is very common on the autopista?

Reactions: PCMike

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
All the way to Dingo and back on the autopista there were trucks driving slower than the limit in the left lane, especially on the grades, forcing everyone to pass them on the right. Dangerous.
I can't do it anymore. I can't do the car or bike. Too much stupidity, but you can't get into a road rage, who knows who will pop a few rounds in ya or come out with some machete. The truckers' Unions are bad seeds also. Scary people IMO

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
It also would be more expensive for the expats. Plus, if there were more well-educated men then there would be fewer girls in the sex trade as the Dominican men would be able to support them.
And that would be a bad thing?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Here's one for you. A bus going the wrong way on a one-way street, blocking an emergency vehicle, and refusing to back up or get out of the way.

Has Abinader commented on any of the recent road incidents? So now even his caravan (I suppose that's what they mean?) blocks ambulances? And of course, people accept everything...

Reactions: cavok
Nov 9, 2023
SC
SD-PC is a long boring stretch of autopista from Boca Chica all the way to PC. Almost no local traffic and no reason to drive macho for several hours. Very different to most other (local) roads and yes pretty relaxed to drive.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
On the way from Boca Chica to San Isidro today, saw a double parked guagua on the autopista Las Americas and another guagua driving the wrong way in the right lane on the same autopista.

For the first time after the gym I drove to Jumbo San Isidro and used their underground parking. It was not near as bad as I thought it would be getting in and out. Did see one moto going the wrong way underground and 2 cars going way too fast for the 100 meters or so they could go. Other that that it was ok. Now, would I go there on a Saturday or the 15/30th? NFW.

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
On the way from Boca Chica to San Isidro today, saw a double parked guagua on the autopista Las Americas and another guagua driving the wrong way in the right lane on the same autopista.

For the first time after the gym I drove to Jumbo San Isidro and used their underground parking. It was not near as bad as I thought it would be getting in and out. Did see one moto going the wrong way underground and 2 cars going way too fast for the 100 meters or so they could go. Other that that it was ok. Now, would I go there on a Saturday or the 15/30th? NFW.
Here's a hack for you: Go at 7 in the morning. Any day.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Another one.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The moto guy is no big whoop. He kills himself and inconveniences others. The first one though with the guagua has the driver risking a lot of others' lives and property. He needs to be "encouraged" not to drive again. Just thinking out loud, but a human hand has 27 bones in each hand.
I like how you think. lol

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Interesting trip today. At a bit before 1 in San Isidro there were backups like I've never seen before. I shop/exercise at Bravo/Smartfit in SI. In the back part of the complex, the Smartfit part, there was a backup getting onto Avenida Ecologia that went to almost the front by Autopista San Isidro. I wanted to go to MegaCentro and figured that San Vincente would be just as bad. So I took a moto concho (he asked for 300 pesos I countered with 200 and he accepted).

As suspected, San Vincente was virtual gridlock. My motoconcho dude ran at least 4 red lights and drove on the sidewalk for about 10 meters (gratefully no pedestrians there) or so and got me there real quick. I ended up giving him the 300 pesos because that dude could drive!