Carnival Cruise Lines building port facility in Maimon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Conchman, thanks for the post, great info.

My boat just happens to be in Maimon right now. I have heard about ongoing negotiations but didn't realize that it was finalized.

Which side of the bay are they developing, the eastern part adjacent to the Riu resort or the western part?

Its the Eastern part adjacent to the RIU property, according to the plan I saw.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
What about the Maimon fishermen in the mean time while this "grand project" will dig a channel into their fishing grounds?

I am sure they fish in more areas than Maimon Bay. I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities for people who own boats once the construction starts and once its finished. People will have to be ferried to and from dredging equipment that will have to be moved around. Support boats will be required for ship to shore supplies. There will be plenty of construction workers who will want to eat fish. Eventually, there will be more customers to sell fish to, or to do fishing excursions. We dredged a cruse ship channel in The Bahamas and the same people who criticised the dredging were later spearfishing lobster from the ledge created by the 2 mile channel. This is just what I can think of right now, I am sure there are dozens other benefits. The advantages will far outweigh the disadvantages for the fishermen. Progress will sometimes require temporary sacrifices for better conditions in the future. When the railroads came, some towns protected their horse and carriage operations and didn't allow the construction of railroad stations. Other towns welcomed the railroads. Guess which towns prospered?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I think Royal Carribean is also on board for this port. The meetings about this occurred in November/December of last year and everything was agreed to on a hand shake basis. I think they were working on the contract details and land since then. Hopefully in five to ten years this and other potential improvements to the area will revitalize the North Coast. I would really like to see the taxes for air travel to Puerto Plata airport come down to at least parity with Punta Cana and the other DR airports.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I think Royal Carribean is also on board for this port. The meetings about this occurred in November/December of last year and everything was agreed to on a hand shake basis. I think they were working on the contract details and land since then. Hopefully in five to ten years this and other potential improvements to the area will revitalize the North Coast. I would really like to see the taxes for air travel to Puerto Plata airport come down to at least parity with Punta Cana and the other DR airports.

I doubt it, Royal Caribbean has a big anchorage in Labadee Haiti where they bring in there super cruisers ( the big 3000 - 4000 room ships ) this anchorage ( Maimon ) would be to close to that one and they ( Royal Caribbean ) are not going to stop going into Labadee they have far too much money invested there. Also Royal Caribbean and Carnival are fierce competitors in the cruise business so I doubt that Carnival would allow them to come here anyway. I think the reason Carnival bought on the north coast was because of Royal Caribbean's stopover in Labadee Haiti as they ( Carnival ) did not have an anchorage here on this Island and they wanted to stay competitive with Royal Caribbean.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
This is a great piece of news. Hopefully, it will come to fruition. As much as I dislike cruises, this might just make me try one more.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If this is truly a done deal then its absolutely fantastic news for the north coast Puerto Plata area! As I recall this port business has been going on since the 70's. In fact there is a framed newspaper clipping of the old Santo Domingo news on the wall in Sam's Bar announcing the soon to be constructed Puerto Plata cruise ship port. (article dated 1979)

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
this is great news. i was just asking a couple of weeks ago what happend to the carnival cruises here in DR!!! great for the economy and great for the country

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
2 years sounds a little too optomistic. My money is on 3 years plus...hope I'm wrong. Most ports are in towns, not in the sticks such as Maimon. Will the passengers be eager to get off the boat to board a bus? the tour operators will benefit, but how will this benefit any town east of Puerto Plata? I can't see Sosua or Cabarete getting much new business from this. Also, how much money is the country getting per passenger? I have mixed feelings about this and why they would choose Maimon over an already developed town. It's a step in the right direction, but far from the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The planned opening is summer 2014 (3 years) but this has a cushion of about 1/2 year so there is a chance it could open earlier (this I highly doubt, even though Carnival does have experience in developing island nations).

They chose Maimon over Puerto Plata because 1) there are no ugly powerplants spewing ash 2) no visible smelly slums 3) no ugly container port 4) they can control access and passenger tours

Sosua and Cabarete might be included in some city tours, not sure how they would benefit much either.

2 years sounds a little too optomistic. My money is on 3 years plus...hope I'm wrong. Most ports are in towns, not in the sticks such as Maimon. Will the passengers be eager to get off the boat to board a bus? the tour operators will benefit, but how will this benefit any town east of Puerto Plata? I can't see Sosua or Cabarete getting much new business from this. Also, how much money is the country getting per passenger? I have mixed feelings about this and why they would choose Maimon over an already developed town. It's a step in the right direction, but far from the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
6033673185_1c341c6893_o.jpg

6033673101_f8ebb1bbdb_o.jpg

6033672121_8429ea3774_o.jpg

6033671541_dd3ea4d348_o.jpg

6034226952_23e345a336_o.jpg

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

La Romana Cruise Ship Terminal expects more tourists for next season

La Romana, DR.– Costasur/Casa de Campo News reported that La Romana Cruise Ship Terminal is expecting more tourists for next season, with ships arriving from January 2012 through 16 October, such as Carnival's Valor, Freedom and Miracle.

Two Costa Cruises ships will regularly arrive in La Romana, including the new 3,570-passenger Luminosa with 21 calls to La Romana and Catalina Island. Costa is also sending 2,680-passenger Costa Mediterranea.

La Romana will also serve as homeport next winter season to the 1,914-passenger TUI Men Schiff 2, and the 2,100-passenger Aida Luna and 1,300-passenger Aida Aura.

The arrival of these three ships from the two largest German tour operators will make La Romana the premier Caribbean port for the German travel market.

The 2,000,955 tourists who came in first half spent 3.7% more

Santo Domingo.- In the first half this year 2,000,955 tourists visited the country and spent an estimated US$111 daily during their stay averaging nine nights, says the Central Bank’s latest report on the tourism sector.

It said the tourists spent a total of nearly US$2.9 billion in that period, which according to official figures, led to a 3.7% jump in the daily spending by each tourist, and compared with last year’s average of US$107.

In addition to that income in 2010 were the RD$4.9 billion in revenue from the air and land exit tax, airport fee, and tourist card, while in the first quarter this year visits by foreign tourists climbed 4.31% compared with the same year ago period.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Puerto Plata anguish ends, Carnival marina to be built at a cost of U.S. $ 65 million

> AUGUST 11, 2011
It will provide 800 jobs in its first year and generate $30 million from passengers and crew expendings

Puerto Plata .- The struggle was worth it, marches and demands for the government to manage the construction of the marina came to an end today, when representatives of Carnival Cruise Lines, unveiled the new proposal to be built in the natural bay of Maimon, at a cost of 65 million dollars.

The activity began with the invocation of God by Bishop Julio C?sar Corniel Amaro, after welcoming remarks by the Provincial Governor Eridania Llibre, followed by Mr. Giora Israel Senior Vice President of Carnival Corporation who made a detailed introduction to the cruise company plan, which was received with open arms by the Puerto Plata citizens.

Giora Israel spoke in the presence of Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia, the provincial governor Eridania Llibre, director of the Dominican Port Authority Ramon Rivas, Minister of Export and Investment Center Mr. Eddy Martinez, the mayors of Maimon Puerto Plata and Sosua, the local press and representatives of port unions, business and tourism in the Oasis Marien Hotel Costa Dorada.

Applause and cheers from those present

He said that the new port will create about 800 direct jobs and salaries of about $ 9 million dollars, and also the first year of operation, passengers will spend $ 90 dollars each, the crew members about $60; some 30 million dollars in the first full year of operations, compared with 43 dollars cruise passengers spend in the DR for 2009.

6033671901_7c5fc04f22_o.jpg

Why Puerto Plata?

"For years, Carnival Cruises Lines wanted to resume travel to the area, but the situation that was present in the port was not functional for large cruise ships," said Israel, while he praised the attractions of Puerto Plata destination, which makes it interesting for tours and the location of the bay makes it easy access to towns and other attractions of the destination.

The project announced will be built with the funds of Carnival Cruise Lines and its local partners Rannik Baez and company, so we do not need outside funding or financial contributions from the government, said Israel.

David also talked about the young Candib, Director of Port Development Group and Puerto Plata Project Manager, who provided the technical details of the construction and operation of the new marina Maimon.

PROJECT SCHEDULE

August 3rd: submission to the authorities at the National Palace

Permits issued: 4 August 2011 to March 31, 2012

Making designs: from October 1, 2011 to August 30, 2012

Start of work: October 1, 2012, (could be brought forward depending on how quickly permits are concluded, although the government has given the green light for this project)

Opening the port: December 1, 2013 (could be brought forward depending on how quickly permits are concluded, although the government has given the green light for this project)

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Those numbers sound impressive but are on the high end. I doubt each passenger will spend $90 when in 2009 then only spent $43...not sure how they came up with these figures...but....when you want to sell something badly you will sugar coat it. Doesn't answer my question of how much money Tourism is getting per passenger. For example in Honduras, Tourism gets $4.80 per person and in Alaska it's something like $40 per person. This was never mentioned at the meeting?

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
One of the reasons that the cruise ships left puerto plata years ago, was that the Gov't wanted them to pay $10 per passenger for the exquisite priveledge of stopping there. Most of the stops actually were paying the cruise lines. Even if the average passenger spends $50 us, that still translates to close to 2000 RD$ and is cash that will circulate in the DR economy. "Tourism" does not need money, the Dominican people do. Greed by the Gov't cost the DR years of lost $$$$$
When talking about $ spent by passengers, the mean $ spent at gift shops, souvieniers, local tours, food, beverages, etc. Busses, Taxis and others, . This is a plus for the DR.
Also, the cruise lines set up logistics for replacement of fuel, foods, beverages, etc. and this also creates employment in the local areas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In addition, isn't there a big duty free area included in the palns ?

Dumfry is a participant isn't it?

The duty free sales will not leave the dock but the money and the products sold will have an impact on the local community

SpunkyNB

Apr 6, 2009
That scrubby property on the west side of the bay will be worth a fortune now.
What a great plus for the Riu properties too.

Status
Not open for further replies.