*** Cars, Jeeps, New & Used Pricing ***

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Golf cart/ATV

No rush but can move fast with cash for the right deal.

Looking for a golf cart or atv for my all-important 15 minute trip to the supermercado. Looks not important as I plan to up-armor the front and rear. Do I need a license and tag and be all legal to drive these here?

Samana city area.

Your Fren, Marcion

May 20, 2012
Need transportation:

Anyone see any good deals on a car/SUV's lately? Would like to find a sound one at something under USA$10,000. But not one of the super-tiny ones....we need headroom.

I hate car shopping anywhere, but here? A real chore.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
Hello, well this thread is very unpopular....I was hoping for more action. I am interested in buying a reliable car from a decent owner at a good price...hahahahhaha.....no, seriously.....I am.

i have a small budget. Thinking of a no frills, sturdy, low consumption, clean interior, with aircon vehicle for around 150.000 pesos. That will not leave me stranded. Need to get to work daily and back. I am still serious.

In the absence of such, anybody know of a taxi driver in SD Este willing to earn some chelitos to drive me to work everyday? RELIABLE.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
in that price range you get a bunch of Toyota Camry's and Honda Accords,
or look on the Toyota Corollas as for the smaller/less consumption vehicles.
they are popular models in the lower pricerange, reliable, easy to get anything fixed at every corner.
make sure that the one who sells the car is also the real owner, with his name in the Original Matricula,
and that the license plate is up to date,
as in that pricerange you find often sellers who did not renew their stuff(no hay chelitos, Papi),
so the late renwal fees for paying some years at once would add significantly to your low budget.
as you are in SD, i can imagine you have a large number of such vehicles available in your surroundings.

Mike

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
excellent input. thanks.

I was hoping maybe a kind expat might be selling a car. Hopefully been a better driver than a local and at least knows where the car has been.

But I will keep looking on the usual directory websites.

Toyota's the word.

Another option I am contemplating is getting a financed second hand in the 355.000 range. Any input on this? Best dealership? Best financing options for foreigners with no credit rating in the country?

GLP or gasoline?

There is a Sonata GLP vs a Japanese Passo situation, which might be interesting.

I will have a job as of next Monday. So I hope I should get approved easily together with a local garante.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
excellent input. thanks.

I was hoping maybe a kind expat might be selling a car. Hopefully been a better driver than a local and at least knows where the car has been.

But I will keep looking on the usual directory websites.

Toyota's the word.

Another option I am contemplating is getting a financed second hand in the 355.000 range. Any input on this? Best dealership? Best financing options for foreigners with no credit rating in the country?

GLP or gasoline?

There is a Sonata GLP vs a Japanese Passo situation, which might be interesting.

I will have a job as of next Monday. So I hope I should get approved easily together with a local garante.

may i ask if you have dominican family or coworkers in SD'
they know where in your surroundings a good deal can be found, in case of financing a portion over the available budget. not much of paperwork necessary aside of the recommendation of a "friend", family member, co-worker or such.
but be careful,
you say you may start a job soon, so you don't have anything long term secured, yet.
if you have 150.000.- cash at hand, i would def NOT look on a 350.000.- vehicle.
that would mean to finance more than half, on a many years old vehicle which could easily demand some kinda unforeseen reparation for some money after a short while.
for 350.000.- range i would also look on the Ford Explorer Jeep Models, they are really "cheap" once they passed their first years, good reliable vehicles. not the most economic ones, but in the acceptable range.
but again,
if 150K is what you have, do not stretch your budget by double or more for a several years old used vehicle, the interest rates are high monthly fees, i would do such only in the range where my guaranteed fix income allows me to repay the financed part within the next 2 months without cutting short on the chicken on the table.
i am not familiar with the big City, so don't nail me on it,
but i can imagine that in SD many many vehicles in the cheaper class, like the 150K range, run on Propane, which would be a significant factor for your mentioned fuel economy.

Mike

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Need transportation:

Anyone see any good deals on a car/SUV's lately? Would like to find a sound one at something under USA$10,000. But not one of the super-tiny ones....we need headroom.

I hate car shopping anywhere, but here? A real chore.

I'm planing on selling my 2008 Honda Civic, I'm the only owner and is around your budget, if you are interested feel free to PM me.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
excellent input. thanks.

JDJones is selling a car, check the DR1 Classifieds. Might be out of your price range, but if you can swing it/make a deal it could be very good. He really takes care of his cars.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
JDJones is selling a car, check the DR1 Classifieds. Might be out of your price range, but if you can swing it/make a deal it could be very good. He really takes care of his cars.

her budget is only 150k pesos... not much to be had at this price. i saw there is a 1985 cherokee for sale here in costambar at 110k but i think it may be a bit too old :)

AmNotDutch

Jul 13, 2017
ON #2: Brake calipers are never resurfaced. There is nothing to resurface, but there are parts that can be replaced. You might have meant the rotor.

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
Any thoughts on Changan cars? New ones are cheap enough here that it's hard not to be curious. Reviews (typically from the Indian market) tend to be good although focused on features and not broader aspects like reliability etc . . .

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
We have been talking about Articles in another thread. This thread resurrected would be a good idea for a sticky.