Cast Iron Cooking

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I think I posted a question about this previously, but I forgot.

Which pan would be preferable for frying chicken and french fries? This one measures 10.25 across and 2 inches deep. Also, which top would be preferable, the cast iron or the glass? What type of oil is the best for either food?

https://www.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/10-25-inch-cast-iron-skillet.asp

This one is the same width as the one above but more than an inch deeper-

https://www.lodgemfg.com/deep-skillets/10-25-inch-cast-iron-deep-skillet.asp

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........Which pan would be preferable for frying chicken and french fries? This one measures 10.25 across and 2 inches deep. Also, which top would be preferable, the cast iron or the glass? What type of oil is the best for either food?.......

I use the 12" cast iron skillet, cast iron top. I buy a whole bird, cut it up into quarters and all four pieces fit in the 12" skillet.

As far as best oil or recipe there are probably as many opinions on this as there are feathers on a bird.

You might also want to get a candy/jelly/deep fry thermometer to make sure the oil is hot enough before you put the chicken in.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Because of this thread, I brought down 3 different sizes of cast iron fry pans this trip. Our maid's face lit up when she saw them, she's loving them!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The deeper the better as BirdMan says...
you can do 1/2 a bird if you want.

As for the deep frying, we just use the crappy aluminum pots they all use.
Works like a charm... yucca, etc

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
With cast iron the MAIN thing is to properly wash and dry the pan. Never, ever let the pan sit in a sink of dishwater soaking. I generally sprinkle in some kosher salt, a squirt of dishwashing liquid and sponge the pan clean. Dry immediately or put over the flame to dry. Once dry rub a light coat of cooking oil on the pan.