Cast iron cookware

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
My mother, whenever she came to our bhouse, for years, would clean the cast iron pans until they were stripped of their seasoning, and we'd have to redo them when she left!
Der Fish

~I still have my Grandmothers cast iron frying pan....I have been married for over 27 years and she had it for a life time before me.....never ever ever ever soak the pans,....oil is the cast irons friend, and I vary the types of oil I use....you would not believe the difference in the taste of the foods with an old well seasoned pan!!

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
With the Fajita pans, what they do is leave it on a burner until it's practically glowing. Then they wait for the waitstaff to pick up the order before they put the just-cooked veggies and meat on them. The pans come with a handle pad and wooden base(necessary) and run about $20 a set at most restaurant supply companies in the US. In this case, it really is the sizzle that sells the steak. They don't really use the pans for cooking as much as to keep it hot and for the show of when it comes out of the kitchen.

Cool tidbit to know. Might be worth trying at home...or I could just cook with 'em :) Maybe I'll look up the cast iron cookware at my local Restaurant Depot and compare prices to Walmart and whatnot.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Keeping them well oiled in RD can lead to bug infestation..

Storing the pan in the oven or a plastic bag can help avoid that problem