cast iron frying pans

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
La Serena in pop still has three left as of yesterday, I bought one about a month ago, 9" I paid about 550.00 pesos I think they're slightly more now.

Reactions: David B

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
La Serena in pop still has three left as of yesterday, I bought one about a month ago, 9" I paid about 550.00 pesos I think they're slightly more now.
9" is too small. Have to curl the bacon up the sides

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I love cast. Expecially when grilling. I keep a couple sizes in the grill all the time. They're great for keeping something warm while finishing cooking the rest of the meal. I brought mine down in checked luggage.

David B

Aug 31, 2017

Thank you for this. I haven't seen them, and I really miss cooking with cast iron. Before coming, I assumed that everyone used them in the DR since they're so fundamental.

Sep 22, 2009
Thank you for this. I haven't seen them, and I really miss cooking with cast iron. Before coming, I assumed that everyone used them in the DR since they're so fundamental.
Dave, I sent a few Lodge on Amazon. Great pans. 10", 12" black cast also 6 qt dutch oven. All great stuff good price.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Cast iron.
Hah.
I remember many moons ago when I moved out of my parents home and began set up house on my own...
I searched high and low for a cast iron frying pan.
I couldn't find one anywhere.
I remember asking my mom where to go to get one. She said...Oh for goodness sake fly[sic], they are everywhere.
I said no way.
All I was finding anywhere were shiny and silver and extremely rough to the touch, but I wanted one just like hers'.
Black as the ace of spades and smooth as a baby's bottom.
She set me straight and explained the seasoning process.
I was never able to get it seasoned to the point where stuff didn't taste just like iron.
Blech.
What a turn off.
They're too damn heavy anyway.
I will admit that there are times when I miss the cast iron, but my wrists are eternally grateful that I said...forgetaboutit!

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Cast iron.
Hah.
I remember many moons ago when I moved out of my parents home and began set up house on my own...
I remember asking my mom where to go to get one. She said...Oh for goodness sake fly[sic], they are everywhere.
I said no way.
All I was finding anywhere were shiny and silver and extremely rough to the touch, but I wanted one just like hers'.
I was never able to get it seasoned to the point where stuff didn't taste just like iron.
Blech.
What a turn off.
I will admit that there are times when I miss the cast iron, but my wrists are eternally grateful that I said...forgetaboutit!

Ha, yes, many moons ago when I, too, moved out, I took one of my parents antique cast iron pans and have lovingly cared for it all these 45 years. Nicely cured, it is. They just aren't made the same today, from what I've seen. I will definitely check out what they offer on Amazon, Rey. Thanks for the tip.

Sep 22, 2009
Cast iron.
Hah.
I said no way.
Blech.
What a turn off.
Thanks for sharing

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Cast iron.
Hah.
I said no way.
Blech.
What a turn off.
My MIL uses one for cooking eggs and small feeds of chicken or beef. After using it in Canada she had to bring it back to the DR with her. It is her favorite pan. We always had two or three at home, included a dutch oven. If you know what you are doing you never have an iron taste.

Sep 22, 2009
My MIL uses one for cooking eggs and small feeds of chicken or beef. After using it in Canada she had to bring it back to the DR with her. It is her favorite pan. We always had two or three at home, included a dutch oven. If you know what you are doing you never have an iron taste.
Scrub, rinse, dry in oven then season, dry in oven. Season is simply olive oil applied uniformly with paper towels. You must catch the bottom sides outside inside and handle during seasoning as the cast is one piece. No excess. Best results. Heating is complete at the smoke point of the oil.

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Scrub, rinse, dry in oven then season, dry in oven. Season is simply olive oil applied uniformly with paper towels. You must catch the bottom sides outside inside and handle during seasoning as the cast is one piece. No excess. Best results. Heating is complete at the smoke point of the oil.
<iframe width="591" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: colmcb

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’ve never been a big fan of cast iron because of the weight, but I do use a large grill pan for steaks and burgers, etc when we can’t bbq. I brought about 4 different sizes to DR but rarely used them. When Matilda/Lindsay came to stay with us, she shrieked with delight when I gave them to her. As a matter of fact, I had 3 more already packed in a drum/tank for her when she was murdered, including a big double burner griddle. Another DR1er called dibs on them, and we delivered them in February. They’re happy in their new home. 😊

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones
Sep 22, 2009
I’ve never been a big fan of cast iron because of the weight, but I do use a large grill pan for steaks and burgers, etc when we can’t bbq. I brought about 4 different sizes to DR but rarely used them. When Matilda/Lindsay came to stay with us, she shrieked with delight when I gave them to her. As a matter of fact, I had 3 more already packed in a drum/tank for her when she was murdered, including a big double burner griddle. Another DR1er called dibs on them, and we delivered them in February. They’re happy in their new home. 😊
Cast iron is wonderful if you know how to use it. Anyone who cooks daily, should always have a good cast iron, a good non stick, and a ceramic coated cast dutch oven.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cast iron is wonderful if you know how to use it. Anyone who cooks daily, should always have a good cast iron, a good non stick, and a ceramic coated cast dutch oven.
I’d never bring good non stick to DR. Or really good knives. We have a Dominican cook. Calderos and stainless steel

Sep 22, 2009
I’d never bring good non stick to DR. Or really good knives. We have a Dominican cook. Calderos and stainless steel
The only thing I let them cook is the Rice and beans. I have 3 varying sizes Dominican pots for them. My pots and wusthof knives are for me. Seared steak, curries and Milanese cannot be done by a domestic laborer.