Cattleranchers protest livestock theft on the border

Alejandra

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2016
Ganado-Vacuno-en-Dajabon-Diario-Libre.jpg

Minister of Interior and Police Jesus (Chu) Vasquez Martinez was in Dajabón, on the border with Haiti, to listen to cattle ranchers’ complaints regarding the continuing theft of cattle and horses for taking to Haiti. The ranchers complain in 2020 they lost around 200 livestock. During the meeting, Dajabón community leaders discussed people smuggling, citizen security, clandestine motorcycle races, among other issues affecting the border.

Read more in Spanish:Listin Diario

29 January 2021

Continue reading...

Big

Apr 24, 2019
My god man !! Don't they know the lack of marbling in that type of cattle makes for a tasteless cut of beef. Even a fine Napa Zinfandel, Turley!! will not make that beef palatable.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Obviously I wouldn't condone the theft of anything especially something that a family depends on for their livelihood. Having said that I wish they would make the cattle owners keep their dam animals OFF the roads. How many have you have come up on one with just a moments notice or worse yet I know some have hit the animal and then YOU are at fault and the guy wants restitution.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Obviously I wouldn't condone the theft of anything especially something that a family depends on for their livelihood. Having said that I wish they would make the cattle owners keep their dam animals OFF the roads. How many have you have come up on one with just a moments notice or worse yet I know some have hit the animal and then YOU are at fault and the guy wants restitution.

The cattle and cattle owners were there first. 🐄🤠

• Sad
Reactions: Garyexpat

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Obviously I wouldn't condone the theft of anything especially something that a family depends on for their livelihood. Having said that I wish they would make the cattle owners keep their dam animals OFF the roads. How many have you have come up on one with just a moments notice or worse yet I know some have hit the animal and then YOU are at fault and the guy wants restitution. Only speeders will hit cows normally.
Consider it open range and drive accordingly. I have a great huge cow with a bad front leg that has a habit of walking directly in front of me. If there is no traffic I can easily move around her. A hit would wreck your car and probably kill you.

Reactions: Caonabo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I remember reading a very old account that the Spanish government sent a war steamer to Port-au-Prince and forced the Haitian government to compensate border ranchers affected by cattle robberies (and forced Geffrard to salute the Spanish flag in front of Haiti's National Palace or else expect Port-au-Prince to be pulverized from bombings sent from the war steamer). That was in the 1860's when the DR became a province of Spain again. The point is that this has been going on for a very long time. Haitians stealing Dominican cattle at the border is almost a tradition. lol

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Consider it open range and drive accordingly. I have a great huge cow with a bad front leg that has a habit of walking directly in front of me. If there is no traffic I can easily move around her. A hit would wreck your car and probably kill you.
Well I have to consider it open range but it should be changed. There are roads where cars drive at high rates of speeds where people could die and that should be the fault of the owner of the cow. Coming up the grade from Imbert on the newly expanded highway from Puerto plata to Navarette is NOT a place for cows to be when cars and trucks are, even when following the speed limit driving fast. NOW when I drive over the mountain on the turistca road I'm never surprised to see a couple guys hearding them down the road.
I realize I am spitting into the wind but please don't defend the practice of these large animals running free on the roadways Bob.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Cows being raised to provide food for others and to provide income for a family trumps your ability to drive your car an high speed with your mind on autopilot instead of paying attention to the road. If you are on open road and hit something it is your fault. It is called a rate of speed accident. Cause by inattentiveness of the driver. Solution to the problem is in your hands. Pay attention to the road and slow down!

That being said. Theft of cattle is not good.

I am on the side of the cattle ranchers on this one.

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No one support theft of cattle from hard working ranchers.

Wonder if the thefts are for profit or if the thieves are starving, maybe both.

Its me I would not try and raise cattle in the border area and if I did so I would expect theft.
Petition the government to do their job and provide border security although it has never been done and is unlikely to start now.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Cows being raised to provide food for others and to provide income for a family trumps your ability to drive your car an high speed with your mind on autopilot instead of paying attention to the road. If you are on open road and hit something it is your fault. It is called a rate of speed accident. Cause by inattentiveness of the driver. Solution to the problem is in your hands. Pay attention to the road and slow down!

That being said. Theft of cattle is not good.

I am on the side of the cattle ranchers on this one.
Do you drive in the D.R.??? The newly renovated road (highway) between POP and Navarette is designed for faster transit with passing areas in certain stretches of road. IF the D.R. is trying be a developing nation into the ranks of a higher level of quality of life then not having cows idling on or crossing a highway seems to be a small fix. I have been driving in the D.R. for 2 decades now with no trouble and of course driving in the D.R. one must stay more alert than say the states or Europe and I am always prepared to stop quickly if necessary for the common broken down car or truck which until the Gov enforces vehicles to be road worthy will not end but a privately owned animal standing in the middle of the road is another story.
On the theft part of course we agree.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Do you drive in the D.R.???
Yes ‼️
The newly renovated road (highway) between POP and Navarette is designed for faster transit with passing areas in certain stretches of road.
Not in that part of 🇩🇴.

Here we go again with the challenge of knowledge part.
The followed up with the appeal to authority part: "I have been doing this for X number of years" .
But to be honest I actually prefer to allow others to do the driving for me whenever possible.
I can afford to have others do it even with the relatively meager resources available to me.

But I am glad we can agree on the theft part.
But if through reckless or inattentive driving you kills someones cow then you might as well have stolen it.

I am professionally trained. In one of the most respected driving programs in the world. Wanna know which one...send me a PM.
Slow down when you know cows are going to be on the road.
Complaining here will not help you.
Having road awareness and control of your car will.

"Power is nothing without control" - Pirelli

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Yes ‼️

Not in that part of 🇩🇴.

The followed up with the appeal to authority part: "I have been doing this for X number of years" .
But to be honest I actually prefer to allow others to do the driving for me whenever possible.
I can afford to have others do it even with the relatively meager resources available to me.

But if through reckless or inattentive driving you kills someones cow then you might as well have stolen it.

I am professionally trained. In one of the most respected driving programs in the world. Wanna know which one...send me a PM.

Skip Barber's Formula Car Racing School?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Yes ‼️

Not in that part of 🇩🇴.

I mention my time doing something only to attest to the fact that I know of what I speak. There are several on here that can support my claims if you don't believe me.
I had a driver supplied by a colonel friend (who was paid by my company not the DR Gov) in the capital years back. I soon realized that neither of them could drive worth a damn. I would have them sit in the passenger side and I drove. It wasn't about finances but about the desire to stay alive coupled with a desire not to have to do an insurance claim. It's kind of being on the back of a motorcycle.
"Slow down when you know cows are going to be on the road." The problem is you never know where or when. On the mountain road I expect it, just like I expect every dominican to run a red light or stop sign and am prepared for that eventuality. Driving on a "highway" UNDER the speed limit but yet at a faster rate of speed coming across cows where I have NEVER seen them before is another story.
I think you miss my point. IF the D.R. wants to 1. proceed in development and 2. lessen road fatalities/accidents they should take the action to ensure the owners of cows secure them and not allow them on the highways

Since you are "yourmaninvegas" should I assume you went to the driving school in Monterey Ca? I forget the name but knew of some people that went to it, however that might have been race driving.
Anyway enjoy your weekend!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I remember reading..... That was in the 1860's when the DR became a province of Spain again.
If they haven't figured out how to stop it by now...
I'm rooting for the cattle rustlers.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
My god man !! Don't they know the lack of marbling in that type of cattle makes for a tasteless cut of beef. Even a fine Napa Zinfandel, Turley!! will not make that beef palatable.
You are right about that Dominican beef...But you can solve that problem at the grocery store National in Santiago, USA prime beef steak, T bone, filet or cut to your order....cooked a few on the grill last week along with one of my last bottles of chateau Lafitte Rothschild...priceless..........

Reactions: Big

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Garyexpat:
this sums it it!!
The problem is you never know where or when. On the mountain road I expect it, just like I expect every dominican to run a red light or stop sign and am prepared for that eventuality!!
The man from vegas obviously has never driven where the deer and the antelope roam or any where near what is called open range.
when the animal comes up out of the ditch in the dark then stands there because it is blinded by your head lights, there is no reaction time.
open high speed roads like talked about here without barriers to prohibit the strays same result. horses are even worse as they tend to stand taller and come through the windshield.

Reactions: Garyexpat

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Skip Barber's Formula Car Racing School?
No.
Sterling Moses.... school of driving
No
Since you are "yourmaninvegas" should I assume you went to the driving school in Monterey Ca? I forget the name but knew of some people that went to it, however that might have been race driving.
No

That is three strikes gentlemen and you are all out ‼️
Hint, none of ya would have been able to attend it.😉
The subject is cattle rustling.
Garyexpat, it appears that you have missed my point.
It does not matter if you steal a cow or hit it with you car and kill it, you have done the same amount of damage.
You are in control of both.
You do not have to steal.
And you can control your car.
I hope much better than you can control your fingers on a keyboard.
Drive safe my friend.🏎️

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The man from vegas obviously has never driven where the deer and the antelope roam or any where near what is called open range.
On this you would be wrong. I have caught a dear on they hind quarter at night before on open road where it would be consider open range and rural in the country of my origin. Since when did a cow move with the speed of a dear or horse. Could a more idiotic example have been used than that❓

Do you have anything else erroneous to write about me "mi amor"❓
when the animal comes up out of the ditch in the dark then stands there because it is blinded by your head lights, there is no reaction time.
open high speed roads like talked about here without barriers to prohibit the strays same result.
I drive weekly under conditions where cows roam and have access to highway here in 🇩🇴

The average speed of the drivers are 80 to 120 KPH.
Opposing traffic warns your via flashing lights that a road hazard is close.
I slow down to 60 KPH until I clear the danger area.
I have presented you with a example of prudent driving behavior that does not involve my personal need for speed and a selfish desire to be able to keep the "pedal to the metal" for my own personal desires as has been presented by others posting up in here.

The fact remains that it is up to the driver to control the speed of his vehicle to avoid collisions.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
On this you would be wrong. I have caught a dear on they hind quarter at night before on open road where it would be consider open range and rural in the country of my origin. Since when did a cow move with the speed of a dear or horse. Could a more idiotic example have been used than that❓

Do you have anything else erroneous to write about me "mi amor"❓

I drive weekly under conditions where cows roam and have access to highway here in 🇩🇴

The average speed of the drivers are 80 to 120 KPH.
Opposing traffic warns your via flashing lights that a road hazard is close.
I slow down to 60 KPH until I clear the danger area.
I have presented you with a example of prudent driving behavior that does not involve my personal need for speed and a selfish desire to be able to keep the "pedal to the metal" for my own personal desires as has been presented by others posting up in here.

The fact remains that it is up to the driver to control the speed of his vehicle to avoid collisions.
you should spend more time around range cattle. they can move damn fast. and I've seen them clear a five foot fence no problem at all.