Cautionary Tale of dealing with Haitian "family".

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just an update. But, we got our "house guests" out. As expected, they tried to rob everything they could get their hands on. It's truly incredible behavior considering that they know the whole family (including their father) is watching them and telling them to behave. Henceforth, I'll refer to them as "las diablas".

We're in the process of repairing the house and changing the locks, etc. With the diablas gone, the owner asked us to stay, but as they had keys and nothing is apparently beneath them, changing locks seems like a prudent investment.

Always change the locks on rental units, always.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I have three tinacos on a flat concrete roof. There ia a roof drain and a lip of about 4 inches. Qith the torrential rainfalls qe have here I have no problems.

In a newly designed home, do they beef up the roof rebar in the area that tinacos are going to be placed? Or do you just put them near a bearing wall?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I summed up damages and we've blown by 23,000 pesos already with another 3000 of expected expenses. Stunning.

I've heard stories, but living it is quite different.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Well, I'm happy to see you rid yourself of the visitors, and I'm sorry you took that hit in the pocket, but I'm left with one question. How has your girlfriend responded to all of this? Is she as outraged as you are? Not trying to pry, just asking.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Also, I understand (kind of) where you're coming from. I'm currently residing in San Pedro, but have had many experiences all across this country, with both great, beautiful people and piece of crap con-artists, just like back home in the US of A. Hint, hint...you have both classes of these people all over the world. I have lived in barrios, good and bad. I have lived in upscale communities, Dominican and ex-pat. I have lived in the campo. I have lived in gated/secure hotel/apartment complexes. Not quite "everywhere man", as Johnny Cash once sang, but I've had more experiences than the average tourist or newbie. To be quite frank, aside from the campo (which I love), I always enjoyed my time in the barrio more. But that's just me. Just be careful, keep your eyes open, and watch your back. Remember, if something doesn't seem right.....it's because it's not.....don't try to justify it.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I just noticed I commented on one of your other postings. My friend, you seem to be having a lot going on lately. You may want to take a mental health trip to another corner of the country, and set up your tent elsewhere. Not being negative, just speaking from experience. It's worked for me.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Well, I'm happy to see you rid yourself of the visitors, and I'm sorry you took that hit in the pocket, but I'm left with one question. How has your girlfriend responded to all of this? Is she as outraged as you are? Not trying to pry, just asking.

Oh, it really pains her. I paid about half but the rest came out of funds from a clothes business she's starting. It's been a big hit and a serious set back. I gave her the money for the locksmith because I insisted but it killed her to hand it over. She paid the colmado balance and that was for food that was wasted. That ****ed her off good. There was other bill I can't remember. She had money for a paca de ropa but now no. I could really hear the bitterness in her voice.

She's got a big heart and she was excited to have family as she has so few relatives, so this hurt bad.

Oh, reports are that las diablas are tearing up their new home. The GF went to recover belongings. The bitches even stole people's used toothbrushes. It's a complete WTF experience.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I just noticed I commented on one of your other postings. My friend, you seem to be having a lot going on lately. You may want to take a mental health trip to another corner of the country, and set up your tent elsewhere. Not being negative, just speaking from experience. It's worked for me.

You are absolutely right. I said the same thing even before this episode happened, and I've had some heart to hearts with the girlfriend. She's even sleeping in the other house tonight to give me some downtime.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
In a newly designed home, do they beef up the roof rebar in the area that tinacos are going to be placed? Or do you just put them near a bearing wall?
I just had blue prints and engineering prints done on my project and the government increased the size of rebar used in all construction wall and roofs. This happened after the Haitian earthquake.

Vacation Rentals at,
www.casadecompai.com

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
IMO Liars is a better description.

I won't argue with that description. The first Dominican I got to know had such difficulty with the truth that I thought he was psychotic. I get a new version of a story on every telling after nailing him for shoplifting. He was a very creative individual. We were traveling New Mexico and the last thing I needed was to deal with trying bail out a kid from jail. (His parents live in Sosua and are good people, but the kid is something else).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

My house of build in 2012, and only the back part has a flat roof. It is certainly well enforced with rebar. Designed and build by Architect and engineer. Two of the three tinacos sit on top of load bearing walls, and the other no but I'm not worried. They all sit above the laundry room/kitchen.