CDC suspends dogs entering US from DR and 99 other countries

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Perhaps not 99 other countries, but many countries including the DR for now.

People with travelling dogs, please be aware. There are potential exceptions, but it is a PITA:

These countries and political units are considered high risk for importing dog rabies into the United States. Beginning July 14, 2021, there is a temporary suspension which prohibits the entry of dogs into the United States arriving from the countries listed below.

On an extremely limited basis, CDC has the authority to issue advance written approval (CDC Dog Import Permit) to bring a dog from a high-risk country.

If you wish to import a dog from a high-risk country, you must request advance written approval (CDC Dog Import Permit) from CDC by emailing CDCanimalimports@cdc.gov at least 30 business days (6 weeks) before you intend to enter the United States.

No CDC Dog Import Permits are issued upon arrival. Dogs that arrive from high-risk countries without advance written approval from CDC will be denied entry and returned to the country of departure at the importer’s expense.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
While I love dogs and know of many people that have shipped dogs from other countries to the US I'm 100% positive that the US can supply dogs to any potential owners from within the US with no "need" of imports.

Reactions: Billp16

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm almost afraid to ask how much a rabies vaccination costs.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It’s not only about importing rescues. I’m sure this is upsetting for those who spends months at a time in DR and bring their dogs with them.
This part is key:

"Dogs that arrive from high-risk countries without advance written approval from CDC will be denied entry and returned to the country of departure at the importer’s expense."

If a person has advanced written approval from the CDC, probably the dog should enter the US with no problem. Might need to supply proofs of a veterinary check for rabies and its negative result and/or that the dog has the rabies vaccine.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This part is key:

"Dogs that arrive from high-risk countries without advance written approval from CDC will be denied entry and returned to the country of departure at the importer’s expense."

If a person has advanced written approval from the CDC, probably the dog should enter the US with no problem. Might need to supply proofs of a veterinary check for rabies and its negative result and/or that the dog has the rabies vaccine.
We brought our dog from DR several years ago (she was born there) and all of those proofs were necessary before, all shots, not just rabies, and a signed certification from a Dominican veterinarian.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I’m kinda surprised they are doing this since their rules are toughest ,so many weeks in system before travel..etc..
hell Canada you don’t have to have rabies shot ..but when you arrive you have two weeks todo It..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I would like to hear if someone goes through the CDC process to get approval.
My guess is the CDC, which does not have the best record on health matters, will be non-responsive ?

From their website: "On an extremely limited basis, CDC has the authority to issue advance written approval", and the only airport for entry is JFK ?

Maybe best to get them on a sailboat and let the dog swim in the last 50 yards to the dock

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
the 9999 stray dogs that live within 500 yards of my apartment will be very disappointed to hear this

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
i just arrived here last week with my dog...i am returning on the 6th july....i hope this is not going to cause problems going forth

Reactions: AlterEgo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i just arrived here last week with my dog...i am returning on the 6th july....i hope this is not going to cause problems going forth
If by 'going forth' you mean 'in the future'....

After July 14th, I doubt your dog will be able to return to the USA

I stopped traveling with dogs several years ago.....
THe airlines are getting difficult - mind you, mine were underneath, not carry-on dogs

Reactions: irishpaddy

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If by 'going forth' you mean 'in the future'....

After July 14th, I doubt your dog will be able to return to the USA

I stopped traveling with dogs several years ago.....
THe airlines are getting difficult - mind you, mine were underneath, not carry-on dogs
that is exactly what i meant ...but it might not have any effect on a Service Dog