Cedula renewal ?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have the new cedula, also the old one. Went to a bank and took out 3K Us using the Old one. Then went to Vimenca and change Dollars to Pesos using the Old one. No problem. Then went on an Intenational flight with a private aircraft with a US passport and using the Old Cedula to provide proof of my DR Citizenship. Again no questions asked. I had the other one with me but wanted to see what would happen.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have the new cedula, also the old one. Went to a bank and took out 3K Us using the Old one. Then went to Vimenca and change Dollars to Pesos using the Old one. No problem. Then went on an Intenational flight with a private aircraft with a US passport and using the Old Cedula to provide proof of my DR Citizenship. Again no questions asked. I had the other one with me but wanted to see what would happen.

That "might" be because the Jan 10th deadline has not passed yet.

Try it in February and let us know what happens.

I have had problems not having a new Cedula already as I stated in the Drivers license thread. I don't really understand why people don't want to bother getting one when it could create problems in the future?
If you don't want to wait in line now just wait a month and pay the $3000 peso fee or whatever it is.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Makes you wonder if Dominicans are lining up to get new cedulas because the old ones expire, why do they bother to do it if the old ones word "work just as well".....hmmmm.. Must be some reason to have the new version and not the expired version. Don't you think?

Judging by the huge crowds and waiting lines at the JCE in Santo Domingo (I mean the Centro de Cedulacion for DR citizens not the Extranjeria) many, many, many DR citizens are renewing their cedulas - remember that apart from the JCE in the capital- there are many other Centros de Cedulacion in the country where ciudadanos can get their cedula without needing to travel to Santo Domingo. I heard today that the Centro in Boca Chica is also mobbed daily. This maybe because an "old" cedula will not be valid for voting and ciudadanos will have to be able to vote in order to obtain their "electoral bonus" from the various political parties. Who knows what other new or old regulations will be enforced with the new cedula

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
So it looks like, in my case, I have no need for a new cedula. My wife handles all the finances here and I am more of a visitor than a resident. I will wait until next visit to get the card and pay what ever late fee there is. I would much prefer sitting at the beach over sitting in a line at some government office building downtown.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So it looks like, in my case, I have no need for a new cedula. ... I would much prefer sitting at the beach over sitting in a line at some government office building downtown.

Then what was the point of your original question? You had obviously already made up your mind that you don't need a new cedula and weren't in the slightest bit interested in renewing anyways. You know it's the law to have a valid cedula. You know that it is your responsibility to renew it when it expires. You know there are very real and limiting consequences with not having one. Yet, you choose to break the law, penalize yourself monetarily for no real reason other than apathy and you are prepared to publicly flaunt your disdain for Dominican law and the generosity of those allowing you the privilege of living here as a resident.

Way to go buddy! We need lots more just like you to move here and set the standard by which extranjeros are judged by the locals. How much you want to bet that you either have already renewed or plan to slink off under the cover of darkness and renew in the next day or so? You can't possibly be proud of such an intentional public display of personal stupidity and lack of respect for the DR. I'd like to see you drop-kicked home on the next flight. However, since I find it hard to believe your abhorrent self-serving attitude, I choose to believe you have become a disingenuous forum troll.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I have, on rare occasions, been asked for my residents card. Mostly at an airport. I have never been asked to show my cedula where the resident card would not have served the same purpose. What is the difference between a valid card and an invalid one if I don't seem to need one at all?

you are well mistaken. only on 2 ocassions will you be asked for your Residency Card/proof of residency.
** 1: when you leave/enter the country, at the Immigrations Counter
2: when a Immigrations raid picks you up they wanna see proof of your Immigrations status, but usually here the up to date cedula is sufficient
for EVERYTHING else in the country uyou do NOT need your residency card, like a passport, keep it bat a safe place in the house to not loose it. the only thing you are obliged to carry around/have at hand all times is the cedula.
Who did ask you for your Residency Card here?
whirleybird,
i saved myself the wait of a full day and stayed at home in bed, then mid morning brought my Truck to my friends mechanics place in higuey, back home right now. i will take the multa for late renewal and change the cedula in a couple weeks or so, once i hear the lines get shorter. thats not typical me, but it's me this time, lol.
did you get yours or are you still in line? how bad is it really?

Mike

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
you are well mistaken. only on 2 ocassions will you be asked for your Residency Card/proof of residency.
** 1: when you leave/enter the country, at the Immigrations Counter
2: when a Immigrations raid picks you up they wanna see proof of your Immigrations status, but usually here the up to date cedula is sufficient
for EVERYTHING else in the country uyou do NOT need your residency card, like a passport, keep it bat a safe place in the house to not loose it. the only thing you are obliged to carry around/have at hand all times is the cedula.
Who did ask you for your Residency Card here?
whirleybird,
i saved myself the wait of a full day and stayed at home in bed, then mid morning brought my Truck to my friends mechanics place in higuey, back home right now. i will take the multa for late renewal and change the cedula in a couple weeks or so, once i hear the lines get shorter. thats not typical me, but it's me this time, lol.
did you get yours or are you still in line? how bad is it really?

Mike

I didn't go either, Mike. My good friend was there from yesterday for 8 hours in line from before 3 pm until very late at night and I didn't think I could cope with that. I will do as you plan and pay a fee for late renewal but, also, very unusual for me as I usually do things well ahead of time. However, I thought maybe that I had the police report re my lost original cedula would also complicate the issue. Am worried but time will tell!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I didn't go either, Mike. My good friend was there from yesterday for 8 hours in line from before 3 pm until very late at night and I didn't think I could cope with that. I will do as you plan and pay a fee for late renewal but, also, very unusual for me as I usually do things well ahead of time. However, I thought maybe that I had the police report re my lost original cedula would also complicate the issue. Am worried but time will tell!

in a couple weeks we will hook up there, i take care about your seat while you get the next round Prezzies, and all will go fine, you'll see.

Mike

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Then what was the point of your original question?

My time here on this visit is limited and I was trying to figure out if there was any over riding reason to get the new cedula before I leave. Clearly there isn't. I'm sure the powers that be will have no problem with collecting their late fee when I return. I certainly had no intention of raising anyone's ire. Hope your blood pressure returns to normal soon :)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
when someone leaves his cedula for a lengthy time on a invalid status, as that changing to the new one they see like the renewals, its an obligation, so can they then revoke the residency status due not up to date involved documents/cedula?

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and anyways, i guess the next days we will hear that the deadline been moved for an other month or 2 or 3.
the offices for DR Citizens Cedulas are bursting. you need to take a look at the JCE office at Plaza de Tronco in Bavaro, you can't count how many people been in line there, in line out down on the street, while the office is up on the 2nd floor.
there will be a new deadline, and then maybe again a other new one.
the new cedul?as are necessary for voting on elections, the politicians of all parties do sure not want that half off the adult citizens is not able to vote because the cedula is a old one, lolol. such will never happen.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
to answer OP's question, a cedula is mainly needed in order to get dominican driving license as well as in banking. the consequences of late renewal are difficult to judge. it may be that all cedulas will expire on january the 10th and later renewal for extranjeros will not only have a flat fee for being late but also a standard fee of 700 pesos a month for each month starting from that date. so renewing in 2016 may cost thousands of pesos. so far no one knows and my guess is that there is no clear directive from JCE as of yet. maybe nothing much will happen and old cedulas can still be presented and accepted as a proof of identity.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
to answer OP's question, a cedula is mainly needed in order to get dominican driving license as well as in banking........................
and whenever I use a credit card I am always asked for cedula. I surely would not want to lug my passport around when needing to show ID. Renting a vehicle the cedula eliminates the need to bring passport.

@ OP, Call me a wimp if you so please but I try to abide by the laws of la rep dom concerning foreigners.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i also show cedula with credit card but maybe residency or driving license would work too, they are also a form of ID.

i changed my cedula in june/july and it only took 20 minutes so long lines and long waiting time are a result of folks doing stuff at the last moment.

maybe i am an idiot but i try to work with local laws. it's always better to avoid problems than to deal with them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
According to yesterday's DR1 news, they will be issuing cedulas after the 10th - for free. Good news for those abroad and for the procrastinators.

JCE extends hours to issue ID cards

The Central Electoral Board (JCE) announced yesterday, Tuesday 6 January 2015 that they would be extending the opening hours at the identity card (cedula) issuing centers from today, Wednesday 7 January 2015 in order to assist with the issuing of the new cards.

From Monday to Friday, the identity card issuing centers will be open from 8am to 8pm and on weekends they will open from 8am until 4pm.

The announcement was made by JCE communications director Felix Reyna, who confirmed that the cards would continue to be issued at no cost after this Saturday, 10 January, the date when the old identity cards expire.

He also said that 4,888,942 cards had been issued as of the first week of January 2015 and 60,313 were in process. In addition, 104,405 identity cards had been withdrawn.

According to this data, a total of 5,053,660 citizens have received their new identity cards.

Yesterday, Tuesday 6 January 2015, thousands of applicants were waiting in long lines for their new identity and voting card at the issuing centers. The process began in April 2014.

Junta Central Electoral extiende el horario para la nueva c?dula - DiarioLibre.com

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
104.000 withdrawn. are those cards which been false/not in the system or what are they?
good for lazy me that they extended. i will wait a couple weeks in hope the lines go down by then, and do a weekend early ride.
Whileybird, for now we are safe, i told ya so, lol

Mike

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
For me the question is if the free change of the cedula also applies to cedulas for foreigners.

Today I went to migration, got my residence renovation(8.15 till 11.00), cost 16,600, including 3600 late fees and 1000 VIP. Then off to JCE. Long line outside the building, stayed in the line for about 20 mins and it hadn't moved an inch. Lot of sun, I left and will take my chances tomorrow at 6 am. I prefer to wait two hours without sun for them to open then stand for three hours in the sun.

Some guards at the other side of Luperon where I parked told me that before 6 am there is already a line waiting to open.

If the cedula change is for free for foreigners also after January 10th I'll wait a few weeks more. I never need my cedula for anything else than proving my identity when using cc or leaving as ID to enter at some clients. The old cedula is fine for that.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thats correct, Mauricio. it is exactly what i do, too, now. wait a couple weeks, arrive on a weekend morning by 9 or 9:30AM, back out by 10AM, breakfast at 10:30AM and the sunday can continue smoothly and stressfree.

Mike