Celebcrating Christmas 24th.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
For many years I have not understood the reasoning behind Dominicans celebrating Christmas on 24th. Last day of advent? Well, ask and most probably don't even know what advent is.
I know many countries, even some in Europe celebrate, or begin celebrations on 24th, as in finishing off cooking, decorating, wrapping gifts. But Dominicans often go the full hog on the 24th. Open gifts, eat, get drunk and then are hopeless for the day of 25th.

Every year it makes things awkward and up until this year I have always done 24th and 25th. But I still have never had a reason (and I am positive there is one, like last day of advent) from a typical Dominican as to why they have to celebrate a birthday a day early. Anyone else celebrate birthdays a day early? No?

Ok, it is just that they can't wait?

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Unlike most Americans, the majority of Latinos celebrate Christmas on December 24, known as Nochebuena (or Christmas Eve), with a big dinner in the company of family and friends, lots of music and gifts.

Although each family has its own traditions, for many Latinos who celebrate Christmas Eve, December 25th is a day of rest, as the celebration that begins the night before can extend into the wee hours.

In fact, for many Catholic families, the Christmas celebration does not begin until they come home from church to attend the famous Misa de Gallo (or Midnight Mass), which marks the birth of Jesus and takes place at 12 midnight. Many people take their figurine of baby Jesus so it can be blessed before putting it on their nativity

Nochebuena: Most Latinos start celebrating Christmas on December 24 - Viva Colorado

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Also in France, many people feast on the night of the 24th and then exchange presents.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I appreciate that many places celebrate on 24th, but they may know why. Even in England people ho to midnight mass, now evdn earlier at 6pm, whatever. And celebrate the 25th for the reason it is Christmas. My point is, the average jose in DR doesn't know why they celebrate on 24th.
If I was to have celebrated Christmas, on the eve each year of my life, yet everyone elses on the actual day, I would know why.
like I said many places recognize the end of advent, and know it.

Best I've had out of a Dom is 'no se por que'.

That is my point. I'm not saying it is wrong, but I'd like people yo know why they do what they do, and most don't.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I appreciate that many places celebrate on 24th, but they may know why. Even in England people ho to midnight mass, now evdn earlier at 6pm, whatever. And celebrate the 25th for the reason it is Christmas. My point is, the average jose in DR doesn't know why they celebrate on 24th.
If I was to have celebrated Christmas, on the eve each year of my life, yet everyone elses on the actual day, I would know why.
like I said many places recognize the end of advent, and know it.

Best I've had out of a Dom is 'no se por que'.

That is my point. I'm not saying it is wrong, but I'd like people yo know why they do what they do, and most don't.

As in many things the reason gets lost along the way. Then it becomes automatic like brushing your teeth in the morning, just another thing to do.

Aug 6, 2006
Jesus was born, according to the legend, on the 25th. Jesus was a Jew, and for Jews, the new day begins at nightfall, not at dawn or at midnight. So the 25th would begin at sunset on the 24th. I suspect that this is the explanation. Christianity began as a sect within Judaism, and it came to Spain before it came to England or Northern Europe.