Cell phone activations to require Photo and Fingerprint after Jan 11th

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The Council of the Dominican Institute of Telecommunications (Indotel) will put into effect on January 11 2021 a new resolution that will be added to resolution 92-19, to take control of the cell phone registry and prevent the activation of stolen equipment.

The president of the Indotel, Nelson Arroyo, told Listín Diario that through these resolutions a database of the IMEIs of the cell phones will be kept at the moment of being activated, to determine that it has not been stolen.

Resolution 070-19, Arroyo said, is waiting for service providers to install the required equipment and will be a requirement for people who are going to activate a cell phone, to have photographs taken and the profile of their fingerprints collected.

To control the registration and use of mobile terminal equipment (cell phones) in the networks, the internal databases of the providers that are members of the Association of Communication and Technology Companies (Comtec) are interconnected to the Centralized Database ( BCD) of the Denied Series System managed by Indotel. Claudia García, executive director of Comtec, affirms that the operators have adapted their networks and systems to guarantee that the Denied Series System is consulted in the process of registering or accessing mobile terminal equipment in their network.

More here:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
To check your phone, put IMEI here:

Reactions: JD Jones

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Isn't that a bit extreme.
That is commonly known as Bio-Metrics......
How can they legally take biometrics of a Minor?
I suppose anything is possible in these days of advanced technology.
Hell I worked on some very classified Military projects and Biometrics were not required. But that was Canada , True North Strong and Free,

Reactions: Sailor51

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I didn't quite catch all that.
What does it mean ? That the operator that sells you the phone checks that you activated biometrics?
I mean, in 2020, it's kind of impossible to have a phone that doesn't include biometrics activation option, no ?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Isn't that a bit extreme.
That is commonly known as Bio-Metrics......
How can they legally take biometrics of a Minor?
I suppose anything is possible in these days of advanced technology.
Hell I worked on some very classified Military projects and Biometrics were not required. But that was Canada , True North Strong and Free,

Minors can’t sign service contracts, so an adult has to sign for them.

They aim is to remove macos from circulation, once all legit ones are on the database they will simply turn them off from all services, including their Mac addresses for wifi/Bluetooth connections.

This will be effective for all service levels, contract, prepaid, post paid and data plans.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I didn't quite catch all that.
What does it mean ? That the operator that sells you the phone checks that you activated biometrics?
I mean, in 2020, it's kind of impossible to have a phone that doesn't include biometrics activation option, no ?

It means all activations will require pic and fingerprints via electronic devices now being implemented.

You buy into service and they collect that info on spot and link to the device(s) in the database.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It will link directly to the smart gun program as well. Just kidding.

All new phones have either or both finger print and facial recognition? I think not.

But this is about actually photographing and taking the finger prints of anyone newly activating a phone and
keeping that in a DR data base somewhere. Which is not the same as using your face or fingerprint to enable your phone.

All cell service activators will now need the proper equipment to scan fingerprints and of course take your picture as well.
I guess they can do that right on a smart phone?

malko

Jan 12, 2013
It means all activations will require pic and fingerprints via electronic devices now being implemented.

You buy into service and they collect that info on spot and link to the device(s) in the database.

Strange. why ? Since all devices now do that themselves.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
This has zilch to do with you cell phone software or passwords or pic or finger print security.

Read again

Well I did, and it's as clear as mud.....
Activate a cellphone ? Da hell is that ?

Maybe they meant activate a sim card ? In which case it will NEVER happen. What are they going to do ? De-activate millions of existing SIM cards ? Lol

Reactions: drstock

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
These measures will attempt to make stealing a phone pointless. Once reported stolen, the phone will not be able allowed to work on any carrier's network. Conversely, phones that are imported and not entered into the database by the carrier of your choice possibly will not work either. No more just add a sim card and being good to go. Or switching sim cards from an old phone to a new one. This will make phones activated on a foreign network (ie tourist phones) a very valuable commodity I suspect.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
These measures will attempt to make stealing a phone pointless. Once reported stolen, the phone will not be able allowed to work on any carrier's network. Conversely, phones that are imported and not entered into the database by the carrier of your choice possibly will not work either. No more just add a sim card and being good to go. Or switching sim cards from an old phone to a new one.
Of course, that is what they tell the public. :p

Since anyone legally here has already had their picture taken and fingerprints scanned into a DR government data base (to get residency, cedula, naturalization, etc) what could be the harm? And it helps prevent the activation of stolen phones.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It would seem to follow that any IMEI that is not recognized as being in the database and is using a DR service provider as its primary connection to the cell network ( ie not roaming from another foreign carrier) will not be allowed to transmit data to the cell towers here thus no connection to the cell network. Again another instance of wait and see how things work after the new features are turned on. Sounds to me like another initiative that will create a long line to stand in to accomplish what used to be a relatively quick and painless task. But I can see the value of the effort to lessen the prevalence of phone theft/robberies. I await the txt msg from Altice directing me to come in and get my picture/prints taken...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I think Turbo Sim unlock Chips will still be OK to use since they spoof the IMSI number and not the IMEI number.

Oh, how much longer will taking a picture and scanning fingerprints add to the process of phone activations?
Only time will tell, and I doubt the requirement will go away.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I still don't get what " activating a phone " means.
Is it a new " thing" ?