Celuisma playa dorado

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I plan to visit this hotel next month for my birthday. Its in the POP area. Wondering if anyone may have first hand experience of this property.

Roll

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
We stayed there about 5 or 6 years ago. Absolute sh1t hole. The rooms are nice enough, but the pool, bar and beach area are rubbish. Far better value elsewhere in my opinion. As I remember they had just finished faze one of the room overhauling, and so the beach front rooms were nice, but the balcony doors didn't work too well and the windows rattled a bit. So the chances are updates were purely cosmetic, paint, bathroom etc.
Risk it if you got a great price, but of there are options then look into them.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Better than a review 6 yrs old ,try checking trip advisor for more current good or bad info

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Better than a review 6 yrs old ,try checking trip advisor for more current good or bad info

no need to. i posted here before that my buddy tried to book that hotel through a travel agent in Toronto, and she refused to sell a package to him. she said she did not want to hear griping when he came back. he went elsewhere and got the reservation, but moved out on the first night.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
On thought it might even be a little longer than 6 years ago, but G pretty much sums it up. We only had a short drive home and were very tempted, but held out for a few days. No refund and only went because it was such a good deal, a little weekend break.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Before it became Celuisma it was Playa Naco. It is a 2.5 to low 3 star property. If all you want to do is lie on a beach and the price is fantastic, it might do. I wouldn't stay there.

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
ROLLOUT - try to avoid the name Celluisma - its 1 star hole. Thats why the price is unbeatable - you couldn't go lower.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have a few friends that go their all the time. they agree its not much to write home about. they use it as a basecamp for their adventures

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Appreciate the info. I thought it was suspect, given the low price. I also want to tripadvisor, and the reviews were mixed. I didn't want to break the bank, but I guess I'll keep looking.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Wanna do the POP/Sosua area, but damned if I'll pay POP airfare. Recon flying into STI, and taking transport to the area will be my best bet.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I'm a skinflint at heart, so, if I can get by under $90/day, it amounts to more time I'm able to spend in country. Also, I'd be interested in hooking up with some DR1ers for a few cold ones if that's on the table. As far as access, I'd stay in the pOP/Sosua area, and get around by taxi. Done the rental car thing in the past, but I have hopes of extending my retirement years to the fullest extent possible.

Jul 28, 2014
I'm a skinflint at heart, so, if I can get by under $90/day, it amounts to more time I'm able to spend in country. Also, I'd be interested in hooking up with some DR1ers for a few cold ones if that's on the table. As far as access, I'd stay in the pOP/Sosua area, and get around by taxi. Done the rental car thing in the past, but I have hopes of extending my retirement years to the fullest extent possible.

Casa Marina in Sosua is not a bad deal, its nothing to rave about, but decently priced, and you are not far from either Puerto Plata or Cabarete, while being right in Sosua

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Above Spankies bar opposite Casa Marina back entrance. Nice apartments, $250-300 a week. Your meals arent there but as you're a single aged dude going to Sosua alone I expect you'll have that covered!

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Stayed there for 1 week with family in September. Place was empty yet the put us in rooms over 200 yards apart and said they couldn't put us closer because they had no other rooms available. The food was terrible, I got sick and even though I have been living here for over twenty years it was a first. Again the only saving grace was the employees, they were as always very helpful. Recommend the place, absolutely NO!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Thanks. I guess its time to reconsider. maybe I should just treat myself to a fishing trip instead.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Well, having decided on the fishing trip, rather than the DR, I'm currently sitting in my hotel room in Jacksonville, FL, perusing DR1. Its 46 degrees, and the wind is blowing 25 mph. Silly me.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Well, having decided on the fishing trip, rather than the DR, I'm currently sitting in my hotel room in Jacksonville, FL, perusing DR1. Its 46 degrees, and the wind is blowing 25 mph. Silly me.

I didn't recommend that AI (all inclusive) but there were many other choices. Between here (Puerto Plata) and Cabarete there have to be 10 great places to stay. Sorry to have influenced you to make a bad decision. Next time ask for recommendations for good places to stay. That way you'll get to visit the Dominican Republic where it sunny and 85 degrees as I write this post.