Centipedes

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Having occasionally found "baby" centipedes in the bottom of our pool I wonder if anyone can help with the following questions:

When does a centipede mature enough so that its bite becomes dangerous or are they born deadly?

What should one do if bitten - how long have you got before paralysis / death starts to spoil your day? And where do you go to seek help?

Has anyone got a first hand experience who would like to comment?

Thanks

Simon & Nicky :confused:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Weren't you the people with the tree frogs? The Dominican wildlife sure has it in for you folks. :cheeky: Seriously, if these are very small, they are millipedes, not centipedes, not in baby form, that is the normal size & they don't bite. That's if they are less than 11/2 inches. There is a variety of centipede, much larger, about 4-5 inches, which looks "horny" if you'll forgive the expression. I don't know if those bite because we tend to kill them. The very small ones are harmless.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
if you do not get an "allergic" reaction to a bee sting.....

...then you are absolutely not going to die from "venom" of any living creature in the DR. If you do have reactions then you had better start finding some "stick pens" before you do end up with problems when you get stung. Its that simple.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You crack me up.

Simon & Nicky said:
Having occasionally found "baby" centipedes in the bottom of our pool I wonder if anyone can help with the following questions:

When does a centipede mature enough so that its bite becomes dangerous or are they born deadly?

What should one do if bitten - how long have you got before paralysis / death starts to spoil your day? And where do you go to seek help?

Has anyone got a first hand experience who would like to comment?

Thanks

Simon & Nicky :confused:
Thanks for all your entertaining posts, Simon. I love a good chuckle and always look forward to reading your stuff.
Ok, on to centipedes.
I'm not sure why someone is suggesting that your baby centipedes are actually millipedes, (I'm confident that you can tell the difference between 100 and 1,000) and I am quite familiar with these monsters.
They are unquestionably the most venomous critters on this island and I do appreciate your concern.
Although they are not known to kill adults, I am told that they could kill a baby.
When these guys grow up to be 8 to 10 inches long, they are to be avoided. Killing them is not an easy task either.
If you need to know what to do in case of being bitten, I would suggest you speak to Dr. Gideon at the Cabarete clinic (Servi Med).
If you need the phone number, give me a call or send me a message.
Gideon has lived here for well over 10 years and I believe him to be the most reputable GP on the North coast.
If he doesn't know the answer, he will know someone who does.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Rocky said:
Thanks for all your entertaining posts, Simon. I love a good chuckle and always look forward to reading your stuff.
Ok, on to centipedes.
I'm not sure why someone is suggesting that your baby centipedes are actually millipedes, (I'm confident that you can tell the difference between 100 and 1,000) and I am quite familiar with these monsters.
They are unquestionably the most venomous critters on this island and I do appreciate your concern.
Although they are not known to kill adults, I am told that they could kill a baby.
When these guys grow up to be 8 to 10 inches long, they are to be avoided. Killing them is not an easy task either.
If you need to know what to do in case of being bitten, I would suggest you speak to Dr. Gideon at the Cabarete clinic (Servi Med).
If you need the phone number, give me a call or send me a message.
Gideon has lived here for well over 10 years and I believe him to be the most reputable GP on the North coast.
If he doesn't know the answer, he will know someone who does.

Centipedes are not "deadly" to anyone, unless they cause anaphylactic shock to an allergic person.

Their sting is similar to a bee and is produced from the "claws" positioned just behind the head. Most centipedes can not even pierce human skin

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not deadly?

KrackedKris said:
Centipedes are not "deadly" to anyone, unless they cause anaphylactic shock to an allergic person.

Their sting is similar to a bee and is produced from the "claws" positioned just behind the head. Most centipedes can not even pierce human skin
As per the
http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/zoolab/Tabl...Arthropod-Centipedes/arthropod-centipedes.htm website,
"Centipede bites produce a burning pain, with those from large species causing nausea and temporary paralysis. Deaths have occurred."
Don't kid yourself, these puppies here in the DR can put the hurt on you.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Simon & his Centipedes!!

Next time you pass Dr. Bob the vet next to Coastal, just pop in and see him. He's got the venemous ones in a glass jar and he'll tell you all about them. Plus any other creatures that you're likely to encounter in your new zoo!!
See ya on the beach...........
Don Pedro

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Kool

Peter & Alex said:
Next time you pass Dr. Bob the vet next to Coastal, just pop in and see him. He's got the venemous ones in a glass jar and he'll tell you all about them. Plus any other creatures that you're likely to encounter in your new zoo!!
See ya on the beach...........
Don Pedro
That would mean that Dr. Bob would have the answers for you, Simon.
If you need his number, let me know.
Marco.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Rocky said:
As per the
http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/zoolab/Tabl...Arthropod-Centipedes/arthropod-centipedes.htm website,
"Centipede bites produce a burning pain, with those from large species causing nausea and temporary paralysis. Deaths have occurred."
Don't kid yourself, these puppies here in the DR can put the hurt on you.

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/centers/apdic/centipedes.shtml

I suppose we can all find "hundreds" of references on the Internet to substantiate claims, disprove other etc.

After reading a few dozen of these sites, I stand by my original post. A centipede CAN cause pain and localized swelling, I don't think they are the "monsters" of Rocky's dreams, but best not to "play" with them.

I think the University of Arizona (Specifically the pharmacy dealing with poison) is quite knowledgeable

The famed arthopod scientist J. L. Cloudsley-Thompson once explained that ?centipedes seem to exert a weird fascination on the morbid appetites of the hysterical and insane.?

Last edited:

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Stick Pen .....

I've got this funny image in my head of a fu**ing huge foot long centipede attached to my leg while I try to assault it with a pen of "bite ease".

I'm a little concerned that I've been referred to a Vet for assistance by two of the guys who know me more than most. Thanks a lot. :)

I'm reliably told that these critters cause permanent paralysis and many Haitian sugar cane cutters have lost limbs after being bitten. If nobody else was aware of the danger then at least it's brought it to their attention. Thanks for the advice but i'm still curious about the venom in the small blue baby ones. Any more advice would be useful.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Simon & Nicky said:
I'm a little concerned that I've been referred to a Vet for assistance by two of the guys who know me more than most. Thanks a lot. :)

I'm reliably told that these critters cause permanent paralysis and many Haitian sugar cane cutters have lost limbs after being bitten. If nobody else was aware of the danger then at least it's brought it to their attention. . Any more advice would be useful.

For some odd reason I thought you might be a human posting on this board? Oh well, vets are an alternative I guess :classic:

I don't know much about the cane fields, but are they not hot arrid locations? ANY site you visit regarding centipedes will tell you they are found in moist, dark environments

I have been reliably told that stepping on a crack on a sidewalk will "break your Mother's back" There are many Mother's worldwide with broken backs :eek:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
You guys are way funny....Chris is absolutely correct.....

..."The stick pen" is the term used for the pen that will administer a drug that will keep you from dying if you go into "a. shock" as Chris pointed out. It is NOT a pen of "bite ease". If you are allergic to a bee sting, then you will be likely allergic to a centipede or tarantula bite. If you are as worried as you seem, you should get a perscription for an "epi-pen". Don't even know if you can buy them here in DR...although the ingredients are here in the DR to treat "a. shock". Nice thing about Epi - pens is they are "idiot proof".

Oh, and if you believe the Hatian stories....have you also heard the one about the mongoose that leaped up out of the sugar cane an slashed the Hatians jugular and he bled to death? Yes, its a great story (many Dominican farmers use the same story). The only truth in that story is that there are mongoose here. The rest is a pipe dream....just like the pipe dream you would be having if you believe a centipede or bee will kill you UNLESS YOU ARE ALLERGIC to their venom.

"Stick Pen .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got this funny image in my head of a fu**ing huge foot long centipede attached to my leg while I try to assault it with a pen of "bite ease".

I'm a little concerned that I've been referred to a Vet for assistance by two of the guys who know me more than most. Thanks a lot.

I'm reliably told that these critters cause permanent paralysis and many Haitian sugar cane cutters have lost limbs after being bitten. If nobody else was aware of the danger then at least it's brought it to their attention. Thanks for the advice but i'm still curious about the venom in the small blue baby ones. Any more advice would be useful."

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Plenty of creepy crawlies out there and Centipedes are the hardest to kill. It takes a good 4 or 5 stomps with a boot to put a 8 inch out of action. If you chop it with a machete the front half just keeps on running. I dont know how venomous they are but any 8 inch biting arthropod is bound to really hurt. These sometimes come up the drain pipe which is very disturbing.

Tarantulas (cacatas) can be 6 inches across but are easy to kill with a rock or a stick. Apparently they can really jump but I have never seen one. The fangs are about the size of small cat claws but thicker and very hard. A tarantula bit a heavy leather glove an employee was wearing and left two nice neat punture marks in it. I have only seen these up at the farm living under large rocks

Scorpians: I dont see too many of these around here and the largest was about 2 inches long and are yellow and black. According to my mother inlaw these REALLY hurt if you get stung. I found one in the shower and the rest I have seen under the bark of dead trees.

Tarantula wasps: There is a species of very large wasp that hunts and paralizes tarantulas in order to lay its eggs. 3 inches long is not uncommon and it has a black or blue body and red wings. I see these at the field all the time and watching them fight a tarantula is really fascinating. While not aggressive towards humans, the sting is reputed to be the most painful of all insects. Note that the other three are not actually insects.

Other unpleasant creatures:

Cockroaches: large flying but harmless beasts.

Termite swarms: these are a pain in the azz. after a heavy rain the termites swarm at night and are attracted to light. If you leave the lights on you will soon have hundreds flying around

I am sure others can add to these

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Forgot to add:

when a dominican starts telling stories about how dangerous and aggressive tarantulas or other insects are ask for the name of a specific person who has been bit/stung. Most of these horror stories are just that. I know of only one person who has been bit by a tarantula ( i think it was ken?) and I work with farm labor all day every day.

Regular wasps are another story. They REALLY hurt and can make you swell up really really bad.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Rocky,
The locals call the tiny little centipedes "millepieds", honest! Now I'm not saying they can't count.....but I have noticed a preponderance of pocket calculators for rather basic sums. :ermm:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Simon & Nicky said:

Gee Simon,
You don't attack the thing with the pen... Ya kill the blighter, then you use the pen on the wound. It must be the thin air up there at your house on the mountain top that's affecting your brain.
Don't kid yourself about Dr. Bob.
He saved my life shortly after moving here.
My friends had checked me out of Ceasar's clinic in Sosua Abajo, before he completely killed me and it was Dr. Bob who came to the rescue.
I, as well, ignored those who had told me to go see him in the first place, as I scoffed at the idea of a vet treating me.
Now I kiss the ground he walks on.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
KrackedKris said:
http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/centers/apdic/centipedes.shtml

I suppose we can all find "hundreds" of references on the Internet to substantiate claims, disprove other etc.

After reading a few dozen of these sites, I stand by my original post. A centipede CAN cause pain and localized swelling, I don't think they are the "monsters" of Rocky's dreams, but best not to "play" with them.

I think the University of Arizona (Specifically the pharmacy dealing with poison) is quite knowledgeable

The famed arthopod scientist J. L. Cloudsley-Thompson once explained that ?centipedes seem to exert a weird fascination on the morbid appetites of the hysterical and insane.?
I hope you don't mean that I'm hysterical or insane. If you meant Simon, well, maybe...
This is what I do know.
Dominicans have all sorts of weird tales to tell, like the one about not touching the fridge after ironing, or women who cannot shampoo their hair during "that" time of the month, lest they go insane, so I don't know for sure how bad our Centipede bites can be, and I don't suppose you are willing to volunteer for the test, but I do know that the Tarantulas here will give you a much worse bite than a bee, and the Dominicans swear that it pales in comparison to the centipede.
Maybe Scott can organize another party and we can have a lottery for who takes the centipede bite, then we'll know for sure.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Rocky said:
I hope you don't mean that I'm hysterical or insane. If you meant Simon, well, maybe...
This is what I do know.
Dominicans have all sorts of weird tales to tell, like the one about not touching the fridge after ironing, or women who cannot shampoo their hair during "that" time of the month, lest they go insane, so I don't know for sure how bad our Centipede bites can be, and I don't suppose you are willing to volunteer for the test, but I do know that the Tarantulas here will give you a much worse bite than a bee, and the Dominicans swear that it pales in comparison to the centipede.
Maybe Scott can organize another party and we can have a lottery for who takes the centipede bite, then we'll know for sure.

I'll pass on that one! I'm just repasting what I have read, never been bitten and hope not to! :alien:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Basic math

Lambada said:
Rocky,
The locals call the tiny little centipedes "millepieds", honest! Now I'm not saying they can't count.....but I have noticed a preponderance of pocket calculators for rather basic sums. :ermm:
Is that like the time I walked into my veggie store and a client was staring at my cashier in disbelief, as she was being asked to pay 16,200 pesos for her 2 bags of fruits and veggies.
The cashier told me that it had to be the correct price, after all, that was the amount that appeared on the cash register's display.
I asked her if she went to the store and bought 2 bags worth of goodies, would she find it absurd that it came to over 16,000 pesos, to which she replied, "of course", but she still insisted that it had to be the correct price, because the cash register couldn't lie.
BTW: As I sit here on my PC, Jose, the fellow who gives Spanish lessons here, is sitting accross from me on the other PC, and he tells me that he never heard of a millipede here, just centipedes.
I can tell you that in the 13 years I have lived here, I haven't heard of them either.