Central Bank and Civil Aviation Board stats show tourism is very slowly picking up again

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Turistas-El-Dia-e1593618355981.jpg

Dominicans who caught abroad when airports shut down in March 2020 made it back by the thousands in August. But by September, the numbers had declined somewhat. Foreign tourists are gradually returning, understandable in these difficult Covid-19 times. Central Bank tourism report numbers show the foreigners have begun to return, but slowly.

In its January-September 2020 tourism overview, the Central Bank statistics division reveals that travel this year is down 65% compared to 2019. Arrivals of non-resident visitors reached 1,743,480 compared to 3,244,218 for the same first three quarters of the year in 2019. Non-resident Dominican visitors is down 48.4%. These were only 402,953 arrivals for the first nine months of the year.

The Dominican Republic is open to tourism since 1 July 2020 when international airports resumed operations, and the government instated a travel...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The curfew does not have much, if any, effect on AI tourists. The threat of CV19 infection is the deterrent. The focus by the government will continue to be on recovering AI tourism.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't think it would matter.....
As one who has a friend in Tampa who travels here with two friends several times per year, yes it matters and they e-mail or WhatsApp me asking the curfew status. They have postponed twice because of it and I suspect they may call it off for this year, although they have a tentative trip on their radar for early December.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am sure some - some - tourists won't come

Are your friends AI customers or free range ?
The Free Range variety are definitely put off by this.... and yet the JetBlue flights stay full.

The thrust of DR tourism is the AI visitor.... as has been said before , more than once

Kimj

Jul 4, 2020
Canada
The other big deterrent, especially for Canada is the 14 day quarantine once you return home, no one can afford to stay off work for another 14 days!

Reactions: campesinadeatl

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The other big deterrent, especially for Canada is the 14 day quarantine once you return home, no one can afford to stay off work for another 14 days!
And I understand another major deterrent for north coast tourism is there are no flights directly into POP from Canada, but of course the government is focusing on Punta Cana and AI tourism there. Demand from Canada is small because of that 2 week quarantine upon returning.

Reactions: Kimj

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I gather Abinader wants to raise the profile of the No Coast....

Yes, there are no Cdn flights to POP at this point - you have to hop scotch thru the USA

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I gather Abinader wants to raise the profile of the No Coast....

Yes, there are no Cdn flights to POP at this point - you have to hop scotch thru the USA
Yes, and he has personal interests here as well. Property and family. Not bad thing for a region neglected for years.

Reactions: drstock

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And I understand another major deterrent for north coast tourism is there are no flights directly into POP from Canada, but of course the government is focusing on Punta Cana and AI tourism there. Demand from Canada is small because of that 2 week quarantine upon returning.
I know of many Canadian snowbirds who are ready to make their annual migration to the north coast of the DR. For most of them the quarantine period on return was not an issue, but if, as you say in your later post, the quarantine had now been lifted, even more reason for flights to POP to resume.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know of many Canadian snowbirds who are ready to make their annual migration to the north coast of the DR. For most of them the quarantine period on return was not an issue, but if, as you say in your later post, the quarantine had now been lifted, even more reason for flights to POP to resume.
Snowbirds are insignificant in the scheme of things nationally.

This could be a small boost for AI tourism, which is the focus. Come down for a couple of weeks and not have to spend 2 weeks back home in confinement before going back to work.