Changes to Spain’s immigration law are good news for Dominicans

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Bandera-de-España-Wikipedia-e1591367159703.png

Dominican migration to Spain is second to migration to the United States. Now, recent changes to Spain’s immigration law will allow thousands more Dominicans to work and reside in that country legally.

The Spanish government recently approved amendments to its immigration law to address obstacles to foreigners legalizing their status. The changes make it easier for foreigners living in Spain to regularize their status and for employers to hire foreigners that already live in Spain.

One of the main beneficiaries of the reform will be foreign students enrolled in Spanish higher learning centers. More Dominicans on scholarships study in Spain than in any other country worldwide.

Until now, those who had a student visa to study, for example, a degree at a Spanish university, could not work to help pay for their studies. The new rules now allow foreign students to work...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"As reported, the changes are an attempt to make up for staff shortages in many sectors across Spain. The idea is that these workers would join the transport, agriculture, hotel and construction industries which are currently all struggling to find staff."

It is a very progressive smart changes.
As someone who "calls it like it is" the GOVSpain has recognized the needs of the economy and made a move in the right direction.
Those who believe building walls is the answer...well you know what I think about that.

Reactions: Mr Deal HD

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The intent (USA & Spain) is good....

Get educated here and have a year to go out in the marketplace to apply/practise your new skills

WIN/WIN

Reactions: Mr Deal HD

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
"As reported, the changes are an attempt to make up for staff shortages in many sectors across Spain. The idea is that these workers would join the transport, agriculture, hotel and construction industries which are currently all struggling to find staff."

As someone who "calls it like it is" the GOVSpain has recognized the needs of the economy and made a move in the right direction.
Those who believe building walls is the answer...well you know what I think about that.
Walls are critical, if you don't have them you can ran over with illegal immigration.

So this Domincian plan is temporary residency? Or once they get there they stay? If European countries are not careful they will not be European in 25-50 years. But that is likely what the Elites have in store for their citizens they think so highly of.

• Wow
Reactions: drstock

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Spain has a decreasing population and may be doing this to get more young people in. Getting legalized being easier instead of having illegals everywhere. I am not sure but that could be the idea. You get to tough on immigration and eventually you have an aging population, jobs that can’t be filled and illegals roaming around. Where did that happen I wonder. Hhmm

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Spain has a decreasing population and may be doing this to get more young people in. Getting legalized being easier instead of having illegals everywhere. I am not sure but that could be the idea. You get to tough on immigration and eventually you have an aging population, jobs that can’t be filled and illegals roaming around. Where did that happen I wonder. Hhmm
Spain always has a super high unemployment rate largely to do government meddling. They need some massive reforms there.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The inconvenient truth for those talking about illegal immigration in this thread is that it is about legal immigration.
GOVSPAIN is handling business. I am not paying any attention to those who have a axe to grind because they cannot influence things in their country of origin.

"The Spanish government recently approved amendments to its immigration law to address obstacles to foreigners legalizing their status. The changes make it easier for foreigners living in Spain to regularize their status and for employers to hire foreigners that already live in Spain."

"Everybody is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts". - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
The inconvenient truth for those talking about illegal immigration in this thread is that it is about legal immigration.
GOVSPAIN is handling business. I am not paying any attention to those who have a axe to grind because they cannot influence things in their country of origin.

"The Spanish government recently approved amendments to its immigration law to address obstacles to foreigners legalizing their status. The changes make it easier for foreigners living in Spain to regularize their status and for employers to hire foreigners that already live in Spain."

"Everybody is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts". - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
So it seems Spain is changing the laws so that those in the country illegally are legal. Guessing from reading the articles is says you can come here go to school, work etc., and then after school you can apply to stay another year......etc etc, like an end around to permanent residency. When you have unemployment rates in the 14-17% range that needs to be fixed first.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Even the best janitor can only sweep one corner at a time.

Not my original saying. And I don't know who said it. But I like it.
So individuals talking about illegal immigration have pivoted and are now talking unemployment. I can do that. Because I do my research before spouting off numbers and not knowing why they exist.

When you have unemployment rates in the 14-17% range...
But why?
And how do you fix them.
Changing the law and the GOVSPAIN has started to address these problems with this change in the immigration law.

Is GOVSPIAN lying?
No they are not.

Why and how you fix them are in the article below:

Some need to READ before they bang on their keyboard and hit the "post reply" button.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominicans have been in the privileged group of foreigners for many years regarding legal migration to Spain (which is the case of most Dominicans living there). For example, Spain requires legal immigrant to live in Spain for 10 consecutive years prior to qualify for applying for Spanish citizenship. The exception is made basically for anyone from a former Spanish colony in which the requirement drops to 2 consecutive years.

However, it’s great foreign students will be allowed to work in Spain. Most Dominican students in Spanish universities are there on scholarships granted to them by the Dominican government (they don’t have to pay back the Dominican government if upon graduation returns to the DR and apply their acquired knowledge, but if after graduation they decide to stay they will be responsible to pay back the Dominican government the entirety of the scholarship). The students receive a monthly amount from the government in Santo Domingo to cover their living expenses, but often times these payments don’t arrive on time and at other times they accumulate as some months they don’t arrive at all. The government does pay them the full amount of the scholarship, but when its time to pay the bills and the money isn’t in the checking account, try explaining the situation to merchants. All they want is their money and they want it now. This leads to the family of the students sending from their own money to cover the daily living expenses in Spain. As anyone knows, Spain is a very expensive country for Dominicans, more so since the families of these students are earning in Dominican pesos. Now the students themselves can make up for this without asking financial help from their families in the DR.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
This is DR1 and so about the 🇩🇴 .
But the law is not for just Dominicans.

"The Spanish government recently approved amendments to its immigration law to address obstacles to foreigners legalizing their status. The changes make it easier for foreigners living in Spain to regularize their status and for employers to hire foreigners that already live in Spain".

I am sure this is going to benefit many that are living legally and illegally in Spain at this time.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
This is DR1 and so about the 🇩🇴 .
But the law is not for just Dominicans.

"The Spanish government recently approved amendments to its immigration law to address obstacles to foreigners legalizing their status. The changes make it easier for foreigners living in Spain to regularize their status and for employers to hire foreigners that already live in Spain".

I am sure this is going to benefit many that are living legally and illegally in Spain at this time.
If they are legal they don't need to be "regularized". It will benefit the bold, but do Spanish citizens want it with 14-17% unemployment. Of course they don't get to vote on the issue.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Spain is classified as a democratic constitutional monarchy, which is also known as a parliamentary monarchy.
This means that they vote for representatives who then vote for the laws that passed.
These representatives face regular elections.
So, the constituents have a say in the representatives they elect and can choose to replace them at any time if they are not happy with their performance.
Spain has a broken labor market.

In my opinion, the problem is not the immigration law.
Anyone who actually reads the articles I post and educates themselves as I educated myself will understand the real reason behind the levels of unemployment that exist in Spain
Maybe they will tackle the regulations that is causing the problem.
Next.

Please READ and understand before hitting the "post reply" button next time.