Chat with an immigration officer about tourist visas and overstaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
As for driving, don't worry if you drive on your expired foreign license and kill dozens, it will all be OK. :eek:
You are speaking perhaps about your own personal situation?
No, wait...wait you are not doing that.
Because you take the bus and taxis for "that one annual visit"

I am surprised that you are giving advice for others to break the law (I know your post is not addressed to me personally)
Or that you think killing dozens is OK.
Those are your words.

You sound angry about something.
Those statements lie more in the area of someone with psychopathic tendencies.
Now, I don't know you.
I can only go by the words that you write.
Or at least that lack of being illegal and driving illegally won't be the issue.
I would not suggest that anyone do illegal things in the Dominican Republic.
Of course I am not an attorney here.
But I have one that I consult on a regular basis.
On a range of issues that I encounter here in the Dominican Republic.
I do not rely on the posted opinions of DR1 for my legal advice.
And I would recommend that others don't do that either.

Consult with your own Dominican attorney.
A legal advocate with who knows your personal situation and issues.
Have an advocate who is looking out for your interests.
That is my advice for the day.

EASTSIDE!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are speaking perhaps about your own personal situation?
No, wait...wait you are not doing that.
Because you take the bus and taxis for "that one annual visit"

I drive all the time in the DR. Just not to and from Santo Domingo any more.
I am surprised that you are giving advice for others to break the law (I know your post is not addressed to me personally)
Or that you think killing dozens is OK.
Those are your words.
Nobody has ever shown that driving on a foreign license that is no longer valid has ever made any difference in their insurance. I never once thought killing anyone for any reason was OK except in self defense.
You sound angry about something.
Those statements lie more in the area of someone with psychopathic tendencies.
Now, I don't know you.
I can only go by the words that you write.

I am not angry at all. Are you? (The only exception is Edenorte, they are corrupt morons who do anger me frequently, but that is about it.)
I would not suggest that anyone do illegal things in the Dominican Republic.
Of course I am not an attorney here.
But I have one that I consult on a regular basis.
On a range of issues that I encounter here in the Dominican Republic.
I do not rely on the posted opinions of DR1 for my legal advice.
And I would recommend that others don't do that either.
I have given up thinking the government cares at all about the few thousand overstayers from tourist card countries. They obviously have bigger fish to fry with the Haitian problem, the millions of AI tourists and the hundreds of thousands of cruise ship tourists to worry about the miniscule numbers of people that stay illegally past 30 days on a tourist. Why worry if the government doesn't?
Consult with your own Dominican attorney.
A legal advocate with who knows your personal situation and issues.
Have an advocate who is looking out for your interests.
That is my advice for the day.

EASTSIDE!!
As a DR citizen, I still avoid attorneys, (and Santo Domingo) like the plague they both are. Only when there are no other options, do I deal with those two things. This is about being aware of reality and pointing it out. If you interpret that as anger, it is not my issue. It is yours.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I am not angry at all. Are you? (The only exception is Edenorte, they are corrupt morons who do anger me frequently, but that is about it.)
You started with the entire anger issue.
I have answered your question more that once.
I am not angry and I am surprised why you keep asking me that.
Makes me wonder if something is up with your reading comprehension skills.
Or maybe you are just not paying any attention to what it is that I actually write?

As for Edenorte, much success with dat brother.
As a DR citizen, I still avoid attorneys, (and Santo Domingo) like the plague they both are. Only when there are no other options, do I deal with those two things. This is about being aware of reality and pointing it out.
You do what works best for you Mr. DR citizen. It is a well known fact that there are two different standard of care that exists for Dominicans and those that are not Dominicans (the only other kind of people that really exist in this country).
I am in the latter category.
And so I am aware of that reality.
And unless I have a Dominican advocate for me to advise and confront the the system on my behalf then I am sunk.
If you interpret that as anger, it is not my issue. It is yours.
I simply have your words to go by.
And you need to follow your own advice
Pay attention to the words that I write.
And stop trying to project your emotional interpretation of the words that I write.

The thread is about immigration.
Information was posted about immigration.
I appreciate that information.

You are welcome to your opinions about that.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
As for driving, don't worry if you drive on your expired foreign license and kill dozens, it will all be OK. :eek:
Or at least that lack of being illegal and driving illegally won't be the issue.
@windeguy it is irresponsible of you to post such drivel. If you are involved in a fatal accident without a valid license the insurance company will not pay a single cent. The insurance company requires a valid license holder to conduct the vehicle at all times. Failure to comply with this requirement will put you in the brown mushy stuff right up to your eyeballs.

If anyone has a need to stay in DR for an extended period of time and has to drive a car, you should do these two things:

Reactions: MariaRubia

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My opinions on immigration laws is that they should be enforced in both countries where I am a citizen. That is simply not being done correctly in either.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Vegas, are you so willfully obtuse that you fail to recognize blatant sarcasm on the part of Windeguy?

Quit stirring the pot!

Your propensity for micro-dissection of posts will earn you a time-out (since you object to the term "vacation") the next time you start ANY nonsense in the fora I moderate

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Vegas, are you so willfully obtuse that you fail to recognize blatant sarcasm on the part of Windeguy?
Thank you for point this out. I thought it would never be understood.
Quit stirring the pot!

Your propensity for micro-dissection of posts will earn you a time-out (since you object to the term "vacation") the next time you start ANY nonsense in the fora I moderate
And so it goes.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
@windeguy it is irresponsible of you to post such drivel. If you are involved in a fatal accident without a valid license the insurance company will not pay a single cent. The insurance company requires a valid license holder to conduct the vehicle at all times. Failure to comply with this requirement will put you in the brown mushy stuff right up to your eyeballs.

If anyone has a need to stay in DR for an extended period of time and has to drive a car, you should do these two things:

Exactly this. But please remember that even if you extend your tourist card, an international driving licence is ONLY valid for 3 months. So if you are staying for over 3 months, you need a Dominican one. Or just don't drive.

I want to be clear on this point. I had a friend on a tourist visa who had extended legally and was in month 4. She wanted to hire a vehicle through Avis. They firstly said no problem, she would have insurance. I asked to speak to a manager and said that under Dominican law her licence was only valid for 3 months, so how would she be covered. And the answer was that they were prepared to rent a vehicle, but that if the lady was involved in a serious accident the insurance company would realise she didn't have a licence and wouldn't cover her. And if she was stopped by Amet they may also realise this and she would be in the doo doo. But Avis were happy to take her money and proceed.

As with everything in life, it's all fine until it isn't fine.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I was told at Intrant that any foreign license is valid for up to 90 days. An international driving permit is just a translation or a foreign license.
How does paying essentially for nothing help?

Paying the overstay ahead of time does not extend the validity of a driving license because driving is not under the auspices of the Migracion department.

(To those with anger issues: Am I angry because I mention the rules? What difference does it make if I am angry or in a state of blessed nirvana?)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Quit stirring the pot!

It is all he does. He was the kind of kid that sits behind someone kicking their seat on an airline

Reactions: SKY and NanSanPedro

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
It is all he does. He was the kind of kid that sits behind someone kicking their seat on an airline
You are lucky my mother is not here to "Will Smith" you for talking out the side of your mouth about her child.

In my opinion, comments such as this is the reason many of my friends (expats) who live in the Dominican Republic do not really participate here and basically focus on the excellent news stories that are presented.

Reactions: RDKNIGHT

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
One of things I have noticed is that there are strong opinions on immigration.
They were countered by post #1 by @MariaRubia of this thread.

The reality of life in the Dominican Republic really "puts it upside the head" of some of the posters here that continue to drag their biases from their country of origin. They post them up in here. I comment on them sometime. Many don't like that (see post #95 and #94). We don't talk about certain things up in here. But in this case we don't have to. I don't have to say a think. They know who they are. They know WHAT they are.

They cannot seem to make the adjustment to "real life" Dominican Republic. It must really be frustrating to think you are superior to others and then move to the 🇩🇴and and find out you are gringo just like everyone else who is not Dominican living here.

Funny thing, I've never had an immigration officer in the 🇩🇴 tell me "gringo negro go home". 🤪

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You are lucky my mother is not here to "Will Smith" you for talking out the side of your mouth about her child.

In my opinion, comments such as this is the reason many of my friends (expats) who live in the Dominican Republic do not really participate here and basically focus on the excellent news stories that are presented.
'Child' the prevalent word......
No it is more likely your incescent rambling and taunting rants for which the Moderator called you out.
Catch a clue dude.

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Status
Not open for further replies.