Chat with an immigration officer about tourist visas and overstaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It's not a problem until there is a problem. Last Sunday we drove just a few miles down the highway and saw four serious accidents. I wouldn't want to be involved in any of them without a valid licence. To be honest, if you live in the capital or Santiago, you can manage with Uber and I always recommend it's much safer not to drive at all, just in case there is an accident.
I rented a car for the first time last weekend and was very nervous about it. I lost my phone and don't have uber right now. On top of that, my driver's license expired 2.5 years ago. I am going to get another phone because the risk is too high to do it again.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A07A3915-B7A4-4953-AE84-57A33D136478.jpeg

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Whilst we are talking about traffic accidents and immigration, a British lady I met who was a hotel manager in Bavaro was driving on the highway there one night. Young guy on a moto drove straight in front of her, she had no chance to stop, he died. Her insurance paid RD$ 2 million, that was their limit. Family wanted more money and the case rumbled on forever through the court. She had an Impedimento Salida put in her passport while they were considering whether she was guilty or not, and couldn't leave the country for ages and ages. And then her mother got ill in the UK, she was desperate to go home and couldn't. Yes eventually it all got sorted out, but it took years and years.

Honestly, if you're a foreigner driving and involved in a serious accident where someone dies, it will be real mess. If you can use Uber or get a local to drive, don't risk it. The roads here are too dangerous and the driving is so appalling.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Where should it go? Should people ignore what could happen? I know full well it doesn't happen, since nobody can prove there are ever any problems with being illegally in the DR or driving illegally.
That’s up to you buddy:cry: there Is enough to worry about in life that is happening…why worry on what’s not…life is to short…

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Whilst we are talking about traffic accidents and immigration, a British lady I met who was a hotel manager in Bavaro was driving on the highway there one night. Young guy on a moto drove straight in front of her, she had no chance to stop, he died. Her insurance paid RD$ 2 million, that was their limit. Family wanted more money and the case rumbled on forever through the court. She had an Impedimento Salida put in her passport while they were considering whether she was guilty or not, and couldn't leave the country for ages and ages. And then her mother got ill in the UK, she was desperate to go home and couldn't. Yes eventually it all got sorted out, but it took years and years.

Honestly, if you're a foreigner driving and involved in a serious accident where someone dies, it will be real mess. If you can use Uber or get a local to drive, don't risk it. The roads here are too dangerous and the driving is so appalling.
Key is like anywhere proper insurance !! 2 million RD is far from that ! British lady took the minimum insurance… you should carry min 10 million RD ..

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

Truly tragic and good advice with one observation dominicans too get Impedimento de Salida if they are involved in a tragic or fatal accident until all issues are resolved.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Just a FYI for North coast people there is no Casa de Conductor for us …when you get in accident police verify you have significant insurance coverage if deemed your fault and your on your marry way…until the next time you stop at red light and get rear ended and blamed:geek:

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Just a FYI for North coast people there is no Casa de Conductor for us …when you get in accident police verify you have significant insurance coverage if deemed your fault and your on your marry way…until the next time you stop at red light and get rear ended and blamed:geek:
As I have been driving in the DR since 2003 (roughly 25K miles; only 2 minor scrapes - both not my fault), this is interesting for me.

Can I ask a few questions pls:

1. Since when has this changed?
2. Also are you saying they will let you go (as opposed to lock you up) when you show sufficient proof of insurance cover?
3. What level of cover would be deemed sufficient?
4. Is there any place where this is in writing to be able to show to local police?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
As I have been driving in the DR since 2003 (roughly 25K miles; only 2 minor scrapes - both not my fault), this is interesting for me.

Can I ask a few questions pls:

1. Since when has this changed?
2. Also are you saying they will let you go (as opposed to lock you up) when you show sufficient proof of insurance cover?
3. What level of cover would be deemed sufficient?
4. Is there any place where this is in writing to be able to show to local police?
There is no Hotel Casa de Conductor in Puerto plata only big cities…normal operating procedures by police has been as stated above they verify sufficient insurance coverage I can’t remember if it’s 5 million peso or 10 right now it been that way longtime…

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Keep in mind the only function of the Casa de Conductor is to be able to visit police and insurance company representatives under one roof to facilitate reporting an accident to your insurance company.
And of course, they also provide lodging so you can stay there instead of sleeping in a cell in case of serious injury.

Reactions: MerengueDutchie

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Thanks Maria, good input. Backs up everything we have basically been saying since long before @windeguy began his shock and awe doom and gloom immigration scare threads
a pure revenue source.
Never any intention to punish anyone.
Wonder what percent makes it into government coffers.

They will not take credit or debit cards, only cash.
One time all I had was a $100 bill and they did not have change so they let me through gratis.
Caused me to wonder what checks are there to some of the cash disappearing.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
People complain about the so called’money grab’ but do nothing about changing their status to avoid it

Personally, I don’t think it adds up to much of a ‘grab’ but maybe my parameters are different

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
People complain about the so called’money grab’ but do nothing about changing their status to avoid it

Personally, I don’t think it adds up to much of a ‘grab’ but maybe my parameters are different
It is peanuts compared to how much it will cost you to become as you say "legal".......................

Status
Not open for further replies.