Cheap Chinese Tires

Jan 9, 2004
FTR, the DOT dates stamped on the tires:

Explorer: 3616, that is, 36th week 2016, around September.

E350: 3816, most likely October 2016.

I consider them fairly recent tires.

Yes, they are.

We are not talking a gallon of homogenized milk with a Sell By date.

Realistically, 5 years on tires, perhaps a bit less in the DR before any serious degradation could/would set in.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I agree: the date is critical.

Which is why I change tires every three years whether there is tread or not.

As a gearhead, I know tires. There has never been a tire ever put on my vehicle that I did not personally inspect, check the manufacture date, and determine the speed, load, wear, traction and heat designations matched the intended task.

THOSE are the most important choices. Where they were manufactured and by whom are of lesser importance.

The world has changed. 15-20 years ago I would never have considered a Chinese motorcycle, electronic device or tire. Now they are among rational choices for consumers.

The meme "Chinese tires are dangerous and will blow up" is completely inop in today's world economy.

That said, interesting how when inspecting the tires the owner of the shop, a well-respected, long-term establishment for a couple of decades, would roll out a tire and point out the manufacture date, all within the last 6 months. Seems he's trained his staff to point this out, a positive credibility-building effort.

Changing tires every 3 years seems a little excessive but I guess it would depend on what type of wear and tear you put on them. For normal city driving, not off road I would think you would get at least another year or two out of a tire warranted for 50,000 miles. As I stated before. Buy the best quality you can afford but as we all know this is where the "rubber meets the road."

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Changing tires every 3 years seems a little excessive but I guess it would depend on what type of wear and tear you put on them. For normal city driving, not off road I would think you would get at least another year or two out of a tire warranted for 50,000 miles. As I stated before. Buy the best quality you can afford but as we all know this is where the "rubber meets the road."
In our case, because of the kind of driving we do in all manner of conditions all over the country, often with a heavy load, tires take a beating.

Like everything else, auto and motorcycle tires are a compromise. That tire that has a 50,000 mile guarantee has a hard carcass and tread chemical compound. Just remember: the greater the tread warranty, the less real traction that tire will have. A hard carcass and tread is fine on smooth highways, but does not have great traction on rough pavement and roads where the CG shifts laterally and horizontally often beyond suspension design limits.

Nobody makes a racing tire with a 40,000 mile warranty.

We all make choices, but with tires my bias is toward traction, not longevity. I'll go through more tires, but my vehicle will stick to the road better. Same with motorcycle tires.

I mentioned the treadwear bars were down to 1/16". It was time for a change.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I swear I didn't know tires were that complex. A year ago I rolled into Puerta Plata for an oil change and new tires on my Toyota, they did it in less than two hours. I asked for the best tires for my size Toyota. I had a screw in one of my tires near the rim that he said could not be repaired.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I nominate cobraboy for a new government Interior Cabinet position. Secretary or Minister of Commercial Vehicle Inspections. I say new because if DR has one, that guy has been on a long extended vacation. At least cobraboy knows what he's talking about, and would go after those Bald Tire Bandits.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To CB's point about changing tires every 3 yrs......

remember , he carries precious cargo at times....humans, paying customer type humans.
One small mistake could be disastrous

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I nominate cobraboy for a new government Interior Cabinet position. Secretary or Minister of Commercial Vehicle Inspections. I say new because if DR has one, that guy has been on a long extended vacation. At least cobraboy knows what he's talking about, and would go after those Bald Tire Bandits.
Sorry, I'm already committed to Ministerio of Motocicletas y Alas de Pollo...;)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
To CB's point about changing tires every 3 yrs......

remember , he carries precious cargo at times....humans, paying customer type humans.
One small mistake could be disastrous
As well as the most fair Alida & Mom CB.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Please don't start talking about oil and when to change it, different types etc. I already feel emasculated. When they changed my oil they said I needed a certain type as it's a turbo diesel. I said, of course, everyone knows that. When I got home and weeded my flower bed I realized it's not easy being a metro-sexual here.

Jan 9, 2004
Please don't start talking about oil and when to change it, different types etc. I already feel emasculated. When they changed my oil they said I needed a certain type as it's a turbo diesel. I said, of course, everyone knows that. When I got home and weeded my flower bed I realized it's not easy being a metro-sexual here.

LOL

Wait till CB starts the discussion on the proper wiper blades to use....or admonishes you for not changing your cabin air filter to improve the performance and efficiency of your vehicle air conditioning system.

Once a gear head.....always a gear head.....to that I also attest.

I take it you have a pickup as you mentioned Toyota in one post regarding your tire/oil change and in this post you mention turbo diesel.....and I do not believe Toyota currently makes any turbo diesel passenger cars.

Either that or you are referencing multiple vehicles.....

Now, about the importance of changing those wiper blades in the DR.....

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I never tried Cheap Chinese Oil...:cheeky:

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
LOL

Wait till CB starts the discussion on the proper wiper blades to use....or admonishes you for not changing your cabin air filter to improve the performance and efficiency of your vehicle air conditioning system.

Once a gear head.....always a gear head.....to that I also attest.

I take it you have a pickup as you mentioned Toyota in one post regarding your tire/oil change and in this post you mention turbo diesel.....and I do not believe Toyota currently makes any turbo diesel passenger cars.

Either that or you are referencing multiple vehicles.....

Now, about the importance of changing those wiper blades in the DR.....

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

There you go with that manly talk !!. ... Same vehicle Toyota Hilux diesel. It's a company car. He could have said fuel injector, I don't know the difference however it takes diesel fuel. Now if you will excuse me I am late for my yoga class.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Date not critical, porosity is

I agree: the date is critical.
Not critical.
I am running a tyre recycle and export business and verify appr. 40,000 tyres per year.
Have seen 20 year old Goodyear tyres that were stored wrapped in blankeds protected from sunlight. Flexible, black and shiny like new and smelling like new.
On the other hand there are Michelin Energys showing strong porosity after 4 years.

Only thing important is the amount of ultraviolet light a tyre was exposed to and of course the rubber mix. The UV light breaks up big polymers in the rubber. Same effect as on a plastic waterin can in the garden that crumbles after some years in the sun.

In short: test for porosity, age not important at all.

Alexander

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not critical.
I am running a tyre recycle and export business and verify appr. 40,000 tyres per year.
Have seen 20 year old Goodyear tyres that were stored wrapped in blankeds protected from sunlight. Flexible, black and shiny like new and smelling like new.
On the other hand there are Michelin Energys showing strong porosity after 4 years.

Only thing important is the amount of ultraviolet light a tyre was exposed to and of course the rubber mix. The UV light breaks up big polymers in the rubber. Same effect as on a plastic waterin can in the garden that crumbles after some years in the sun.

Alexander

The average consumer ( most) have no idea of the storage conditions the tires they buy have been under so the best guideline is age and visual inspection.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Not critical.

Alexander
How does a consumer know, without a doubt, how the tire was stored?

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Not critical.

Alexander

Alexander: How does one "test tires for porosity"?