Chicken prices and the Minister of Industry and Commerce

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Industry and commerce minister and chicken

So Jos? de Castillo, minister of industry and commerce, is worried about the increase in the price of chicken.
His solution........eat fish and other low priced alternative protein sources......

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...-price-too-high-Eat-chayote-Industry-Commerce

When was the last time that minister bought himself some fish on the market ???

I bought some "cottora" (??), blue tinted fish, delicious, cheaper than merou. 85 pesos la lb after negotiating.......
How does that make it cheaper than chicken ????

On another hand, I raise chicken. Without speaking of the time and energy spent, corn and vitamins are not cheap.....
I always wonder how they manage to sell chicken so cheap.

People are always wanting to buy some of my chicken, but even at 50 pesos la lb, I LOOSE money ( so of course I dont sell them ).
Any thoughts ???

Last edited by a moderator:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe he wants everyone to grab a fishing pole and go catch the fish?

Yesterday I read that chicken growers kill thousands of chicks to keep the price up - now today they are denying the story.

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
Easy to say, when you don't have to worry about it. El PLD doesn't care about los pobres of this country at all.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Maybe he wants everyone to grab a fishing pole and go catch the fish?

Yesterday I read that chicken growers kill thousands of chicks to keep the price up - now today they are denying the story.

But at less than 40 pesos/lb for chicken, it seems cheap to me....... it costs me more than that just to feed a single chicken....... ( well it would if I didnt grow my own corn...). What do they feed them ??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
But at less than 40 pesos/lb for chicken, it seems cheap to me....... it costs me more than that just to feed a single chicken....... ( well it would if I didnt grow my own corn...). What do they feed them ??

Less than 40 pesos/lb? Where are you shopping? The article I read said 65 pesos/lb. is going rate. Fresh chicken at La Sirena in May was about 50-53 pesos/lb, frozen was lower. In our campo, the colmados charged 50 pesos/lb.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Less than 40 pesos/lb? Where are you shopping? The article I read said 65 pesos/lb. is going rate. Fresh chicken at La Sirena in May was about 50-53 pesos/lb, frozen was lower. In our campo, the colmados charged 50 pesos/lb.

There is a local "pollero" down the road. 45 pesos, la lb cleaned. Less than 40 alive. It is the white gringa chicken. "Dominican" chicken are more expensive ( the ones they sell from the back of a truck.....).
Friday I bought 1000 pesos worth of chicken at said pollero. I cant remember the exact weight,. But got 6 chicken and they threw in a lb of hidalgo as a bonus:):)

I also bought a whole bag of corn ( crops arent sufficent yet....). 1100 pesos for a 100 lb ( or maybe 120lb...). Anyway I go through just under 2 bags a month, not counting all the vegetables and others that I also feed them. ( probably 100 assorted chickens in diffrent stages of evolution....).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My local colmado has stopped selling chicken at the high price as no one can afford it. And yes dv8 people are living off pacofee and salami. Locrio de pacofee one day and locrio de salami the next. Delish, not.

Matilda

malko

Jan 12, 2013
1. i read the article about killing chickens, it was in el nacional: Granjeros mataron dos millones pollitos para subir precios -

2. today they say it's heat. because normally summers in DR are cold, right: Alto precio del pollo se debe a escasez por el calor - DiarioLibre.com

3. maybe the minister meant paco fish :rolleyes:

4. i think that what malko is saying is that it is impossible to keep the chicken price under 40 pesos, not that he buys it at that price. (and malko just corrected me :( )

I confirm that the heat has killed a couple of my chickens this summer...... locals nearly had me convinced it was Chikunkuya:laugh:
Set up one of those black net thingys to keep them out of direct sunlight.....

P.s. a chicken farm last year ( when they couldnt sell to haiti.....), cleared his warehouse out. 100 pesos cada pollo...... unbeatable.... I just thimk it is impossible to make money, there has to be state hand outs/subventions or something...... or they are all fronts for drug buisness...:laugh:

The only way I can cut my losses is by selling the eggs. Dominicans are fond of the big "local brand" eggs as opposed to the "gringa" ones.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My local colmado has stopped selling chicken at the high price as no one can afford it. And yes dv8 people are living off pacofee and salami. Locrio de pacofee one day and locrio de salami the next. Delish, not.

i don't think you understood. i meant that to the minister paco fish is the fish he spoke of because sure as hell fish ain't cheap. i ate paco fish. it's ok. fried with onion and some tomato paste and served over boiled bananas? nice.

malko

Jan 12, 2013

Matilda

What is pacofee ?? Tried googling it but to no avail.....

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No I understood! He meant tins of pacofee and not fish fish. Just like you said. And I eat it as you cook it as well.

Mat

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
What is pacofee ?? Tried googling it but to no avail.....

Pacofish lol. It is sardines in a tin. It is pronounced pacofee.

13z056f.jpg

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No I understood! He meant tins of pacofee and not fish fish. Just like you said. And I eat it as you cook it as well.

oki doki, i did not want you to think that i am mocking eating this. one, i like it. and two, nothing is f**king cheap. even the cheapest shi**y "salami" or "ham" is around 50 pesos (in a supermarket, no idea about colmado).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Pica Pica con Dumplin",....YUMMIE!

If you live here long enough, you will see how this "WORKS"!
"Dominican poultry producers overproduce when the price is high, then too many chickens come to market at the same time, the price goes down, so they produce less chickens, so the price goes UP, so they.... I think you get it!
Buy frozen, it's much cheaper when fresh chicken is high.

When a hurracane destroyed a large part of the "Platano" crop, when Hipolito was "Presidente", the price more than doubled,he told everyone to "Eat Yuca", which costs even MORE!

I say,...
"Let Them Eat CAKE"!!!!!!!!
"Jonny Cake"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
When a hurracane destroyed a large part of the "Platano" crop, when Hipolito was "Presidente", the price more than doubled,he told everyone to "Eat Yuca", which costs even MORE!

seeing that upon someone commenting on his unzipped pants hipolito famously said: si la yuca es grande, la tierra se abre, i have a distinct feeling that he told people to suck his dick.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
oki doki, i did not want you to think that i am mocking eating this. one, i like it. and two, nothing is f**king cheap. even the cheapest shi**y "salami" or "ham" is around 50 pesos (in a supermarket, no idea about colmado).

Cheapest I find is CHECCO, 2.4lb for around a 100 pesos. ( maybe a bit less...).
Every time I get the "que raro !!! Un etrangero que come el salami barrato !!!
I am afraid it would not be PC to tell them it is for my dogs !!!!!!:laugh:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Hipolito" is the "CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC", of Dominican Politics!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
or
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
People have been commenting about the Minister of Industry and Commerce telling people who couldn't afford chicken to eat tayota and pica pica.

See the story coming in the 9 September 2014 DR1 news:

Chicken prices expected to go down again
The Minister of Industry and Commerce, Jose del Castillo Savinon says that poultry producers have told him that the rise in the price per pound of chicken to RD$65 in some places had resulted from a temporary shortage after the summer heat caused the death of many chickens.
As reported in Diario Libre, the retail price could drop to RD$45 to RD$48 a pound again as the rains have allowed production to increase. The poultry farmers say that the wholesale price will return to between RD$31 and RD$31.50.
Industry and Commerce Minister became the talk of the town after when originally asked about the high price of chicken he commented that people should switch to eat tayotas (chayotes), sardines, pork and other foods. Chicken is the most popular Dominican meat.
Alto precio del pollo se debe a escasez por el calor - DiarioLibre.com

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I purchased chicken thighs and chicken legs and thighs (as one piece) at PriceSmart today............
The thighs were 41.95 per pound, the leg and thigh together as one piece was 56.95 per pound...........
And the packaged legs were 71.95 per pound...........
The thighs have more meat and at 41.95, the price can't be beat...........
And they clean and trim off all the extra fat in those prices...........

B in Santiago