chikungunya- cant find the answer to this question

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
USE MOSQUITO REPELLANT. Chikengunya is really really bad and has long lasting effects. Life is tuffenuf without being neglectful and causing yourself problems. The newer mosquito sprays are pretty good, not greasy, not too smelly. It will not be forever as sooner or later we will kill off the mosquitoes or develop a vaccine.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
repellent only lasts about half an hour- its not foolproof, but you avoid a couple of bites which might be the one - its like russian roullette really- do people really spray themselves every half hour of everyday

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
repellent only lasts about half an hour- its not foolproof, but you avoid a couple of bites which might be the one - its like russian roullette really- do people really spray themselves every half hour of everyday

Not foolproof but I don't think it last half an hour. This summer, I sprayed myself and my children a little before sunset everyday and we barely had any bites (which is highly unusual since my kids live on our terrasse in bathing suit), so it did work for me.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
As far as I am led to believe the mozzies which carry both the Chikungunya and Dengue virus are out and about in the daytime rather than at dusk or dark - they are also larger than the average mozzie (more like daddy longlegs which all Brits will know) and also have white paws

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Like malaria it may not fully leave the body for years ,,but if you keep your immune system strong it should not affect you after 3 or 4 months ....it is the very occasional person who has it longer although I have not met anyone who has got it after 5 months yes andit must be spread by a vector,,in this case a mosquito

Like malaria it may not fully leave the body for years ,,but if you keep your immune system strong it should not affect you after 3 or 4 months ....it is the very occasional person who has it longer although I have not met anyone who has got it after 5 months yes andit must be spread by a vector,,in this case a mosquito

Not true many people on the FB chicky support page have horrible symptoms 5+ months after being infected, including my wife.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Is it safe? Is it SAFE??
Lawrence Olivia to Dustin Hoffman, Marathon Man 1976
Jay in Florida, thinking about returning to RD in November

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Yeah, pretty much gone by now, everyone has had it.
EBOLA is a different story!!!!
?Coming SOON To A Country Near You?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least it will eliminate the traffic congestion!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah, pretty much gone by now, everyone has had it.
EBOLA is a different story!!!!
?Coming SOON To A Country Near You?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least it will eliminate the traffic congestion!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Well really CHIKV has not disappeared-It may be the bulk of population has already contracted the virus, so it appears to be gone in some ways. However, any new 'blood' that hasn't been infected yet is still fair game for a mosquito population that continues to carry and spread the virus in DR.