Chikungunya Virus - Dominican republic under alert

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there has not been a front page article solely dedicated to chikungunya in DR in months.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
there has not been a front page article solely dedicated to chikungunya in DR in months.

Correct, I mentioned that in my comment. But it is being mentioned nonetheless. I only said it
because you stated that it was not being reported ANYMORE.

It is becoming just like Dengue and malaria, as occasional news.But it is here to stay.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
yes. and no panic over this was necessary, was it?

Who was panicking? Anybody could just as well have read it in the newspaper, it would not have made a difference.

From what I 've read a poster misunderstood. It was not DR1 news exclusively.

Instead wonder about how many posters panic over the death of Gringos when you
post them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
after you, ma'am.

Glad you were the one to bring it up. I heard this through the grape vine(sources)
that the chikungunya virus is just a cover up. What happened was that the gov't sprayed some chemicals in Haina and it got out of control. Certain people were paid to say that it is because of the virus.
Many children and adults have died/ are dying and according to health experts the virus is not contagious.(passed from one person to another) Or deadly.:dead:

Half of the population is expected to be infected by the virus? There is no way now that I will
be stepping foot in the DR until this is way under control.
I was planning a trip for July. Now postponed.
It is escalating.

And I will do just that also. Going to Walmart to buy a few cans of mosquito repellent, just in case.
All you need to hear is that one case of the virus has hit NJ and you can bet there will be a mad dash to
the stores and all the mosquito repellents will be wiped off the shelves.

Nope. And they are not going to issue an advisory either. It will be up to the travelers themselves to make that decision based on what the news media has reported. Money is more important.
No matter how much you may stress and warn the population about the affects of the virus there will be many who will not heed(stubborn) the warnings and will continue with their travel plans.

Stay put for now. I postponed my July vacation at the advice of my father. I am not stepping foot in the DR until I hear that it is under control.

I agree. It is just spreading too rapidly in the DR.
Travelers should vacation some place else besides the carribbean or just stay home.
This year is not safe to travel to certain destinations. Health is more important.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RD will reporrt the highest number of cases.... the highest population in the islands

It should be expressed as a percentage.... never will be

personally, it comes up rarely any more in my area.... but I still worry when hear a 'buzzing'

2 dengues... no chicky........ fingers crossed

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Dengue is the thing to worry about more, it hides bigger dangers.
you can protect yourself as good as possible, you can never avoid completely to get bitten by Mozzies, specially as the ones in question for Dengue and Chiki are day active, the time when you have short clothes on and are outside, on work, on the beach, not the night active moozzies you could hide from under a mosquito net or such

Mike

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Having had Chikungunya in June and being basically without trouble since 2 months except some small pain in one finger, since two or three days my ankles are hurting again, the 'cold' weather? My mother in law told me the same today.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Try one teaspoon White vinegar [Apple best] with one teaspoon honey. Mix with 2-3 ounces warm water. It helps me give it a try!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'll let you know soon enough. I'm armed with every bug cream and spray I could find. I'm also taking a vitamin B complex. I've heard that vitamin B-1 ( I think) makes your blood un-tasty so I have been taking combo of beeeees for months. Mossies love me so we'll see.

I thought of taking up drinking a lot since I've noticed that people who drink ALOT don't seem to get bitten. ;)

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Anyone hearing of new cases in DR? Wondering if the snowbirds are going to succumb...

Yesterday's NY Post:

5 places to avoid if you don

Ive been in PC now since late November, the other day I came down with some intestinal bug. I drove myself to Centro Medico.. I had a fever and some minor cramps... Today I have a sore throat, but not so bad, and fever is gone..
They did blood tests for Malaria and Dengue, both negative, but my white cell count was high...

For some reason they did a chest XRAY, that machine looked kind of old, hope I didn't get over radiated.. They even gave me a copy on a CD... Anyways, admittedly so, I think I got whatever I have from kissing a Chica. :eek:

Regarding Chikungunya, the Doctor told me they have seen very few cases at all in the Bavaro area..

The worst part of the whole thing it took over an hour to open the Insurance claim with AMEX. They are really busy this time of year... Doctor gave me a ton of antibiotics and TYLEX 750 that are all still sitting unopened in my Condo. I'll ride it out..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'll let you know soon enough. I'm armed with every bug cream and spray I could find. I'm also taking a vitamin B complex. I've heard that vitamin B-1 ( I think) makes your blood un-tasty so I have been taking combo of beeeees for months. Mossies love me so we'll see.

I thought of taking up drinking a lot since I've noticed that people who drink ALOT don't seem to get bitten. ;)

Here's an article right up your alley Anna - forget the booze. Do you have "O" blood type? :)

Why mosquitoes bite some people more than others | Caribbean360

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm B positive

"A lot of motion also distinguishes you from your surroundings, making you a prime target". That's not Me :laugh:

So more garlic eh?

We sound like bookends, B+ here too, and the mozzies usually love me.

Last trip, 4 months, I was barely bitten. Took B Vitamins, used SSS, and had a roll-on of lemon&clove essential oils. Mr. AE had triple the bites I did, and he rarely gets bit.

Garlic is good stuff!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We sound like bookends, B+ here too, and the mozzies usually love me.

Last trip, 4 months, I was barely bitten. Took B Vitamins, used SSS, and had a roll-on of lemon&clove essential oils. Mr. AE had triple the bites I did, and he rarely gets bit.

Garlic is good stuff!

I'm also bringing a Dominican staple, Vicks. So do you eat the garlic or rub it all over your body? Oh wait that's to keep vampires away ;)