Chikungunya Virus - Dominican republic under alert

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Want to report that the vitamin B complex that I started taking months ago did not work. They still bite and sometimes it seems right through the spray ( muskol with 30% deet) mostly around lower legs and arms. My daughter never had a single bite. I'm being so careful with screen door but my god those little buggers find their way in somehow.

Good news is that so far any pain I have is just my arthritis which varies. It rained a lot on Saturday so.....fingers crossed the chiki virus has passed.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Anna, just try your best to wear pants to cover your legs and arms. You can only do but so much.

Enjoy your stay!:)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Want to report that the vitamin B complex that I started taking months ago did not work. They still bite and sometimes it seems right through the spray ( muskol with 30% deet) mostly around lower legs and arms. My daughter never had a single bite. I'm being so careful with screen door but my god those little buggers find their way in somehow.

Good news is that so far any pain I have is just my arthritis which varies. It rained a lot on Saturday so.....fingers crossed the chiki virus has passed.

Anna,
thats the usual hit spots.
you guys wear shorts and short sleeves shirts, hence the buggers can only hit lower legs and lower arms part, as for most at least, lol.
i wear long jeans very most time and nothing happens, lol.
fingers crossed, til now i got no repeating symptoms or such from my Chiki, nor did my wife, our Baby Girl bee spared and did not contract it at all, 2 of her 3 brothers and the Granny (they all got it up in Santiago, not like me an dthe wife here in PC) had it, too. all but one passed it fine, the bad outcome was with Granny, she had hardest pains all over and gets them back every once in a while, while all others in the family we had our symptoms, got it diagnosed, wifey took meds for pain(i dont know what stuff, ask her Doc), I took nothing, Boys took nothing, it's gone since summer and will hopefully never again come back.
it is impossible to avoid Mozzie Bites, they are present everywhere and they find a way to bite. luckily on myself the bites do not get any infected, no big red bubbles, no itching or such, just very small read dots on the skin and next morning no further traces of the attacks visible, so mostly it is the Mrs who tells me that i have some bites on my back etc while myself did not notice anything. we do not spray around the house anymore, i take the Mozzies over the chemicals healthwise on the daily 24/7 way of Island Life.

Mike

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yes,, wel l,.. i think i have recovered but there are still some mornings with strange stiffness in the wrists and ankles. a bit of swelling.. a general sense of being "not as well as i used to be" but.. of course, that could be just aging.. plus the nausea thing was evidently some little bits of calcium loose in my ears which led ..perhaps.. to my falling a couple of times.. so i can't blame it all on the chicky.

have not heard of any one getting it recently

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good to hear you are mostly better, MA. My sister-in-law who lives in Laguna Salada (Mao) got a mild case a few weeks ago.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm uneasily watching out, using several anti-mosquito methods :)

Today's news is all about Lindsay Lohan, who has contracted a RARE, INCURABLE DISEASE and is hospitalized. She has ChikV.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in related news, entire population of bora bora is now hospitalized after catching cooties from low cans lohan.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
So now the CHIKV has reached the Pacific or Polynesian Islands. It is being reported as a rare mosquito borne virus, it should be very common by now.:ermm:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So now the CHIKV has reached the Pacific or Polynesian Islands. It is being reported as a rare mosquito borne virus, it should be very common by now.:ermm:

Yes, rare - and don't forget "uncurable". Ah, the media.

Actually this is all a good thing, the more publicity the faster they may test in the labs.........