Child marriage banned, new government cabinet to bolster women, teenagers and children rights

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Matrimonio-Infantil-Pxfuel-e1605273806666.jpg

President Luis Abinader published Child Marriage Law 1-21 that eliminates legal marriage for those under 18 in the Dominican Republic. Previously, parental and judge authorization allowed girls 15-17 to marry.Child Marriage Law 1-21 amended various provisions in the Civil Code (Law 659-94) and now prohibits persons under 18 years of age from getting married.

The Presidency explains the Dominican state now complies with commitments made to other states and international organizations that consider this type of practice as a form of torture and a mechanism of violence to girl and adolescent human rights. After many years of debates, government officials finally recognized that child marriage increases inequalities and considerably affects society’s progress.

Concurrently, the Presidency also issued Decree 1-21 declaring high national interest in drafting state...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
In Canada the legal age for marriage ranges from 18 to 19 years old. but can be legal as young as 16 years with parents permission.
So the RD Law is more strict and for good reason.
However there is nothing stopping folk from approving common law marriages out of the eye of government officials.
That is happening all the time.
Sometimes as a necessity due to poverty.
Get rid of abject poverty and this will find its own end.
Only my opinion.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
No, the new law will not stop an old man from having a teenage wife/wives. Yet it has to happen for any change to begin.

I have been apprehensive about the integrity of the Abinader administration and I will remain so. But this was a smart and necessary step forward.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There was an article in the local news yesterday about a 29 yr. old man who took an 11 yr. old girl from her home to live with him, along with a video of the mother pleading for help.

He is the perfect example of what this law is going to attempt to stop.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD, could you link to that? Thanks.
Man, did I have to dig to find that. It was on yesterday's facebook.

By the way, I finally found it by searching for "11 años"

There are some sick individuals on FB, and I'm surprised FB doesn't shut them down

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

There are some sick individuals on FB, and I'm surprised FB doesn't shut them down
Wow! That's kidnapping. :mad::cry::oops:

• Wow
Reactions: Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
THis legislation is great..... how does a Parent with 12 year old girls or boys deal with early hormonal issues... Add that to Poverty and Bam! Bam! Bam!
you got serious problems that any amount of Laws cannot address.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Their time is coming, slow but coming.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
THis legislation is great..... how does a Parent with 12 year old girls or boys deal with early hormonal issues... Add that to Poverty and Bam! Bam! Bam!
you got serious problems that any amount of Laws cannot address.

Easy was never part of it.
What's worse is that it is a lifelong responsibility.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Unfortunately on a global scale,
this effort is just a drop in the ocean
as child bride's are a part of several
different culture's to our east.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
So... The guy who took the 11 yr old girl has returned her to her mother once he discovered he was being pursued.

And incredible but true, they made a video with her saying she wanted to go with him. It is completely beyond his comprehension a 11 yr. old girl cannot make a decision like this.

She's back home safe and sound. He took off and the authorities are searching for him.

Odd how he thinks he's done nothing wrong, but still runs from the police.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So... The guy who took the 11 yr old girl has returned her to her mother once he discovered he was being pursued.

And incredible but true, they made a video with her saying she wanted to go with him. It is completely beyond his comprehension a 11 yr. old girl cannot make a decision like this.

She's back home safe and sound. He took off and the authorities are searching for him.

Odd how he thinks he's done nothing wrong, but still runs from the police.

Incredible.

What would the majority of Dominicans think about this? My assumption of course is that they would say this is horrible, but does this shit go on more often than we know?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Incredible.

What would the majority of Dominicans think about this? My assumption of course is that they would say this is horrible, but does this shit go on more often than we know?

I don't know about majority, but I do recall the faces of my wife and my mother-in-law when they saw the news in the tv... They basically sent the man to the very hot place opposite to heaven... I also want to believe that is the opinion of a vast number of people here...

Reactions: Caonabo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Incredible.

From age 13 and above, yes.
While living in a barrio here in Santiago
knew of two 13 year old's were knocked up by much
older men. One in his late 20's the other (who
was the suspected father) in his early 50's. One child
was immediately handed over to the young mother's
relatives, the other girl decided to keep and raise the
little boy. Such is life in the DR.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The one thing we don't talk about much here is how many Dominicans actually follow the news here other than what they see on social media.
This story was spread all over the place here on the news sites, but it took him days until he found out he was being investigated.
And then didn't think he did anything wrong.
I'm betting he doesn't even know about the new law that was just passed.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Incredible.

What I have seen in the years I have been here...yes this shit goes on a lot and a most of the time with the parents permission....many, many girls under 14years old become pregnant and as someone just said a lot of young girls in the barrio have babies in their early teens..This seems to be a accepted practice for many Dominicans who live in poverty...passing laws against all of this will probably have no effect....education and better paying jobs is a better answer........