China to the rescue; 768,000 doses of vaccine arrive

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Vacunas-chinas-Presidencia-1024x576.jpeg

Vice President Raquel Peña, who heads the Abinader administration’s Health Cabinet, was at Las Americas International Airport on the evening of 23 February 2021 to receive the shipment of 768,000 Coronavac/Sinovac vaccines from the People’s Republic of China. The vaccines flew in on an Air France flight from China. The Vice President was accompanied by Dr. Mario Lama, who is the head of the National Health Service, and Foreign Minister Roberto Alvarez. China ambassador Zhang Run was also present for the arrival of the Chinese vaccines.

The batch includes 728,000 purchased by the Dominican government and 40,000 donated by the Chinese government. President Luis Abinader had said the vaccines cost the government US$21 each. At the airport, Vice President Raquel Peña told journalists each vaccine cost US$20.

Persons in Phase I of the Covid-19 National Vaccination Plan...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is absolutely disgusting and you can bet your last peso this decision
will haunt Luis should he decide to run for re-election again in 2024.

The people responsible for bring this vaccine in from China should be the
first to get injected with it along with their families.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
like you really believe that a "partner" is going to say the vaccine is crap? do you actually believe the chinese report that it works when they don,t admit it started with them ? can i sell you a bridge BOB? LOL

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
is this the one that is only 50% effective ? if so they got ripped off again!!!
Yes that one.......lets round if off to about 700k jabs, because if they only lose 68k thats a good thing..... 700k jabs divided by 2 jabs per person is 350k people.... effective rate 50%...Sooo at best thats about 175k people protected......what about the other 10 million?................

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
hopefully other manufacturers vaccines will become available to the island, maybe after enough time passes, and the preferable manufacturers are looking for "new" markets.

Reactions: USA DOC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes that one.......lets round if off to about 700k jabs, because if they only lose 68k thats a good thing..... 700k jabs divided by 2 jabs per person is 350k people.... effective rate 50%...Sooo at best thats about 175k people protected......what about the other 10 million?................
I don't believe that 50 percent effective means that only 50 percent of people have protection. Plus if you read up on it the effective rate in preventing hospitalization is almost 100 percent.

Reactions: USA DOC

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Covax are now sending out vaccines to poor countries. Hopefully we'll all get vaccinated and things can start getting back to normal with the addition of the IATA vaccination passport app we can travel

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
hopefully other manufacturers vaccines will become available to the island, maybe after enough time passes, and the preferable manufacturers are looking for "new" markets.

It'll be interesting how will it be with those millions of AstraZeneca vaccines as those have been one of the main ones for EU and it was just recently announced that AZ is not able to keep the production up even there, so by the second quarter, less than half of the promised vaccines will be there... Not sure how is it with the US, but I would imagine that the DR is not one of the first in line compared to EU/US... So if there's shortage there, there will be delays here as well...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I don't believe that 50 percent effective means that only 50 percent of people have protection. Plus if you read up on it the effective rate in preventing hospitalization is almost 100 percent.
their gray areas of benefit should not be.... the small amount of people getting the jab needs adjusting........small countries can vaccinate their way to better economic well being if done right.

Reactions: Lobo Tropical

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
is this the one that is only 50% effective ? if so they got ripped off again!!!
Didn't mean like, rather the opposite!

China stepped up and DR gov. is doing the best they can at the moment.
Why didn't the US and Moderna step up to help the DR and supply vaccines at at cost effective prices for a poor country?

If you want to learn about vaccines read below.

Jan 9, 2004
Didn't mean like, rather the opposite!

China stepped up and DR gov. is doing the best they can at the moment.
Why didn't the US and Moderna step up to help the DR and supply vaccines at at cost effective prices for a poor country?

If you want to learn about vaccines read below.

The US did.............and so did the World Bank, Central American Bank..............and many other countries and organizations who have supplied them with aid to combat Covid and to buy vaccines.

China stepped up.......that is hilarious...........they sold them the majority of the vaccines..........and at $21.00 a jab.............far more than the announced advance purchase of the AZ vaccine at $4.50.

And who paid for the majority of those vaccines? See the first paragraph.

And the efficacy of the Chinese vaccines lol? Well under Moderna, Pfizer, and even AZ.

And the origin country of the virus?

But China stepped up..........lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
The US did.............and so did the World Bank, Central American Bank..............and many other countries and organizations who have supplied them with aid to combat Covid and to buy vaccines.

China stepped up.......that is hilarious...........they sold them the majority of the vaccines..........and at $21.00 a jab.............far more than the announced advance purchase of the AZ vaccine at $4.50.

And who paid for the majority of those vaccines? See the first paragraph.

And the efficacy of the Chinese vaccines lol? Well under Moderna, Pfizer, and even AZ.

And the origin country of the virus?

But China stepped up..........lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Im glad you posted this.

Reactions: windeguy

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Bob..... the new problem is the long term effects that linger on for up to 6 months or much longer, and thats not just the chinese vaccine...thats all the vaccines...Sounds like a virus my country had years ago, its was then called chronic fatigue syndrome, it had the same lingering effects fatigue.. sleep disturbance... intestinal problems... cognitave problems..joint muscle pain... general mental fog... and thats with a mild case or worse...more to come on this virus I think.........

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Were it my decision, I would dump those Chinese vaccines into the trash.

I can't believe that they might actually vaccinate health care staff and professors with that thing... I wonder why US or most European countries are not using it???

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
50.4% efficacy just isn't high enough to slow the spread and does little to offer a population a path to normal living without undue restrictions. No better than a coin toss. I'd say not worth the effort or expense. If I received the Chinese vaccine I'd be hard pressed to believe that I was any better protected than before being vaccinated.

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
Well, after the PLD got money for kicking Taiwan out and getting in bed with China things didnt look good for China when Abinader took over... seating the Chinese ambassador near the back door. But it guess he had to choose between his next door neighbor USA and a one night stand. Anyway, looks like the chinese are still trying to get their grip into the dr..or more grip... And this seems to be a slight slap in the face for the new president.

Anyway, what what radio frequency do those microchips operate at?