Chinese automobiles in DR - Run away or good alternative?

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
I'm looking into buying a car by the end of the year. Ford Explorer or Chevrolet Traverse are favorites. Used car, not new, recently imported if possible.
Now I also see a lot of offer from the Chinese brand Changan.....
Does anyone have experience with this Chinese stuff?

*** I know the tips & tricks not to visit a dealer myself ***

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A friend of mine has one of their higher priced ones. He has no complaints and loved the price.........

Reactions: Liberator

Liberator

Jan 23, 2021
Europe
A friend of mine has one of their higher priced ones. He has no complaints and loved the price.........
That was my first thought too; the price is competitive compared to the used-car market.
Don't know the warranty conditions, but they will be between 3-6 years?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Taller​

Nuestros mecánicos están calificados y entrenados por la fabrica para realizar los servicios. Nuestro mecánico se certifico en China para dar respaldo a los vehículos.

Los vehículos changan tienen garantía de fábrica de 5 años o 100,000 kilómetros (lo que ocurra primero), lo que refleja su alto nivel de calidad y el completo respaldo que ofrece el fabricante a traves de tropicars.

Workshop
Our mechanics are qualified and trained by the factory to perform the services. Our mechanic certified in China to support vehicles.

Changan vehicles have a 5-year or 100,000-kilometer factory warranty (whichever comes first), reflecting their high level of quality and the full support the manufacturer offers through tropics.

Reactions: Liberator

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Taller​

Nuestros mecánicos están calificados y entrenados por la fabrica para realizar los servicios. Nuestro mecánico se certifico en China para dar respaldo a los vehículos.

Los vehículos changan tienen garantía de fábrica de 5 años o 100,000 kilómetros (lo que ocurra primero), lo que refleja su alto nivel de calidad y el completo respaldo que ofrece el fabricante a traves de tropicars.

Workshop
Our mechanics are qualified and trained by the factory to perform the services. Our mechanic certified in China to support vehicles.

Changan vehicles have a 5-year or 100,000-kilometer factory warranty (whichever comes first), reflecting their high level of quality and the full support the manufacturer offers through tropics.

Where have you found a warranty honored in DR, except by Hyundai & Kia when they had the 2.4 liter Theta engine failures

Reactions: Fulano2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My neighbor has a Changan SUV. He's had it for about 4 years now and hasn't had any problem with it. He says he loves it. It's a very nice looking SUV. Doesn't look cheaply made inside or out.

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
My wife and I went to look at them back in March. Yes they look great inside and outside. The Chinese cars are definitely gaining traction in DR after looking at them we started noticing more and more of them on the road. I know that they are built with let’s just say less than top shelf parts but that’s the reason why they are less expensive than all the other brands. There is also another Chinese brand I want to check out called Bestune they are very similar to Changan. If you go to Supercarros.com you can see all the brands along with prices listed.

Liberator

Jan 23, 2021
Europe
My neighbor has a Changan SUV. He's had it for about 4 years now and hasn't had any problem with it. He says he loves it. It's a very nice looking SUV. Doesn't look cheaply made inside or out.
thx. I will schedule a testdrive. In the Netherlands, btw, this brand is not for sale....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I want a BAIC BJ80D. :D

420px-Beijing_BJ80_001_China_2017-03-30.jpg

Reactions: 2020

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I have a Titanium Ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact gun American brand but made in China, I have abused this tool breaking loose 1 1/2" lug nuts for many years and still good... Looks like Chinese.makes good stuff.

JJ

Reactions: Liberator and cavok

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
please keep in mind when purchasing these Chinese vehicles the airbags are not good quality for me it's all about safety especially in this country I'll take an American made car with all the safety regulations over Chinese car

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
What about the emissions system are they complicated like the American standard?

JJ

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't want to give the Chinese anymore business that we are already forced to do, especially in DR

Reactions: RDKNIGHT