"Chinos" in the DR...What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Minerva-this type of talk about Chinese restaurants being dirty goes on in every country they settle in to do business.

It seems like jealousy from the local populations. They see these people set up businesses in their communities, work hard and succeed.

For some reason the people on the corner drinking beer think the Chinese are handed special privileges by "the man" to open up restaurants to suck the profits out of "their" community.

Yes, stupid but very true.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The widespread belief that the Chinese are dirty is well warranted given that for many many years Chinese restaurants were (and many continue to be) among the most dirty of restaurants in the DR. This is not a stereotype that developed with a malicious intent, but rather from simple observation for many years.

There is, however, a Chinese chain in SD called Expreso de Jade that has a good reputation, but on average Chinese restaurants are considered of very low quality in all aspects.

The Chinese often find themselves at odds with local Dominican business people because they often operate illegal businesses that due to their illegality, are able to offer services for a fraction of the price in legitimate businesses. KFC and Pollo Victorina have had quite a fierce competition with the Chinese Pica Pollos. In fact, the KFC in San Francisco went bankrupt once the Chinese opened their Pica Pollos there. The individual photography business is also seriously being affected. Many legitimate Dominican photographers are simply no match, among other sectors.

As for the Chinese dominance of the Caba?as businesses, like the old saying goes "Chino no ve na". I guess that's the appeal when its time to cheat.

On another note, there is also an old remark among Dominicans. Whenever someone says something that he/she thinks is not widely known, but in fact it is widely known or its common knowledge, Dominicans usually respond "eso lo saben hasta los chinos de Bonao" (even the Chinese from Bonao knows that).

According to tradition, the origin of that remark dates back to the Trujillo Era. There used to be a Chinese owned restaurant in Bonao on the old Duarte Highway that Trujillo and other members of the political class used to stop by to loosen the legs and such. In those times going from SD to the Cibao was a long trip. Often times the politicians would talk among themselves at the restaurants of various issues concerning the governance of the country, a project, things that were really important. The Chinese owners used to overhear some of the conversations and were among the first civilians to know of major things occurring at the government level, from state secrets to the construction of a road. Hence the saying, "eso lo saben hasta los chinos de Bonao".

Last edited:

cuas

May 29, 2006
In the 70's when I was in the UASD-Colegio Universitario (CU) where all the students meet and after a year you can choose your major there was a chinese in my class. Her name is Olga, she wanted to be an architect and I an accountant. I tried to befriend her. After the year that everybody went their own ways, I tried to keep in contact with her. Her family had/has a ferreteria I think it was Ave. Mella close to Ave. Duarte and I will stop by the ferreteria to say Hi to her but I was only a customer and I gave up.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Well all I know is

Nals
The widespread belief that the Chinese are dirty is well warranted given that for many many years Chinese restaurants were (and many continue to be) among the most dirty of restaurants in the DR. This is not a stereotype that developed with a malicious intent, but rather from simple observation for many years

The only place I know of in the Dominican Republic that was actually closed by the so called health department was Dominican owned was closed for 2 weeks, that was here in the Capital in the Colonial Zone.

They do better now, but I can also remember when the sidewalk vendors on Lincoln did not change the grease for god knows how long they hoisted it into the trees "open" and brought down at night when they opened. all of the Chinese restaurants I have been in were clean.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I have had Chinese-Dominican classmates in the university, a Chinese professor (Mu-Kien San, a very respected scholar), mixed-Chinese friends, Chinese neighbors, etc. Some Japanese-Dominican classmates and friends too. Nothing to say about them, they are all smart, nice people. Just like the vast majority of Dominicans, because that's what they are.

I once asked my classmate where he was from (meaning his family), he seemed offended and told me he was more Dominican than I was. I had to agree, not because of our respective pedigrees, but because anyone willing to take offense on anyone doubting their "Dominicanosity" is plenty Dominican in my book. I meant no offense, but maybe he was tired of the questions. I know I get tired of people asking me if I am South American on account, I guess, of being short and with a round face. Go figure.

I have seen no discrimination at the level I move around. The kind of people that makes disparaging comments are the same kind that disparage everybody that is different in any ways, Europeans included. Some people are ignorant and close-minded, but luckily for Dominicans of Asian descent they have no way of really affecting their lives, seeing as the bigots are generally poorer and hold no power.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
The widespread belief that the Chinese are dirty is well warranted given that for many many years Chinese restaurants were (and many continue to be) among the most dirty of restaurants in the DR. This is not a stereotype that developed with a malicious intent, but rather from simple observation for many years.

There is, however, a Chinese chain in SD called Expreso de Jade that has a good reputation, but on average Chinese restaurants are considered of very low quality in all aspects.

The Chinese often find themselves at odds with local Dominican business people because they often operate illegal businesses that due to their illegality, are able to offer services for a fraction of the price in legitimate businesses. KFC and Pollo Victorina have had quite a fierce competition with the Chinese Pica Pollos. In fact, the KFC in San Francisco went bankrupt once the Chinese opened their Pica Pollos there. The individual photography business is also seriously being affected. Many legitimate Dominican photographers are simply no match, among other sectors.

As for the Chinese dominance of the Caba?as businesses, like the old saying goes "Chino no ve na". I guess that's the appeal when its time to cheat.

On another note, there is also an old remark among Dominicans. Whenever someone says something that he/she thinks is not widely known, but in fact it is widely known or its common knowledge, Dominicans usually respond "eso lo saben hasta los chinos de Bonao" (even the Chinese from Bonao knows that).

According to tradition, the origin of that remark dates back to the Trujillo Era. There used to be a Chinese owned restaurant in Bonao on the old Duarte Highway that Trujillo and other members of the political class used to stop by to loosen the legs and such. In those times going from SD to the Cibao was a long trip. Often times the politicians would talk among themselves at the restaurants of various issues concerning the governance of the country, a project, things that were really important. The Chinese owners used to overhear some of the conversations and were among the first civilians to know of major things occurring at the government level, from state secrets to the construction of a road. Hence the saying, "eso lo saben hasta los chinos de Bonao".

I think the myth that Chinese restaurant are dirty comes from;

a) Chinese eat dogs.

dog-fur-01.jpg
cmr99283.jpg

Remember the old saying "you are what you eat".

b) People "Think" they use leftover. The way Chinese cook rice it looks like they have mixed old/leftover and newly cook rice; they prepare white rice and as people order they add color and veggies for the fried rice, sometimes they don't mix it thoroughly and then when you order "fried vegetable rice" they serve you what appears to be fried and white rice altogether, it happened to me and friends quite a few times and we always though it was old food, it looks quite disgusting.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Wow, eating dogs?
That is probably almost as revolting as eating chicken throats, and horses.

Each to their own.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Japanese in Constanza

That's very interesting, thanks for the info! The article also says: "According to Japanese diplomat Teruyuki Ishikawa, the presence of the remaining Japanese immigrants and their descendants is the major reason why the Dominican Republic is the biggest recipient of official development aid from Japan." It surprising but makes sense, JICA does have a big presence here.

Do Japanese immigrants and next-generationers still have a big influence on agriculture in Constanza or the Cibao?

Anyone know the deal with Chinese immigration (in reference to CHINA not Asians in general)?

When I did a story on Constanza, I did find a number of Japanese and Japanese descendants still there...

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: A High-Tech Garden of Eden - IPS ipsnews.net

Certainly, they give credit to Japan for all the high intensity agriculture, for the knowledge of irrigation systems.

It is important to remember that Japan occupied and ruled China for years. The Japanese consider themselves a completely different race from the Chinese. And you can see in their food and restaurants.... the Capital is now being overtaken with Sushi bars... very Japanese.... very clean neat precisely rolled little pieces of .... rice...

Japan has one half of the population of the United States in a land mass the size of Montana... They have to be neat, I would guess.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Amin's 's Chinese Halal Restaurant
57 William Street, Newark , New Jersey NJ 07102
(973) 621-2111

This restaurant got closed down recently.

A gas worker needed to use Amin's entrance in the basement to assist another shop that was having a gas leak.

The service worker went into the basement of Amins and discovered a butcher chopping meat, that's fine, but he was putting the meat in a crate on the floor (not good), but wait, there's more!

There were 20 dead rats on the floor. The service worker left the site, told his boss, and the city inspectors moved in. They noticed that the so called 'rats' which were reported were no longer there, but upon seeing a padlocked door, instructed one of the cooks to unlock it.

This is what they found other workers doing behind the restaurant, in the open air

BURNING THE HAIR OFF THEM

WASHING THEM BEFORE COOKING

When the inspectors went into the kitchen this what they found

CUTTING THEM UP INTO PIECES THAT SIMULATE CHICKEN PARTS

WELL SEASONED TO TASTE GREAT!!!!

PREPARED FOR DEEP FRYING

ALL DONE AND READY TO EAT!!!

CLOSER LOOK

And the killer is, they never thought they were doing anything wrong!

(I've suddenly gone off Chinese food!)

2wqu6o2.jpg
BYE BYE

danely

Apr 23, 2004
There are a lot of chinese in Barahona who own a lot of land in the mountains and also a lot in San Pedro. No idea about discrimination, but I love the food. Unfortunately my husband will not eat it as he says they recycle the left overs and they eat their own dead people in the food. When I told him this was ridiculous his answer was : "have you ever seen a dead china man here?". well no I haven't. Therefore he says - proof they are in the sweet and sour chicken!!!!!

Matilda

Wow..this guy sounds like a real charmer.:rolleyes:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My son is in Changchun China in his second year of teaching English, and he tell me, at least where he is no self-respecting Chinese would eat dog, they informed Travis that only Koreans eat dog. Travis has eaten rat several times and said it taste fine. Many of the Japanese in Jarabacoa married locals and many of their mixed Children now live in Japan.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I've had rat in Asia in a village in Western Thailand in the mountains along the Burma border. I was with a Thai public health team and we had been in the field for a week or so.

We arrived in a the village during the dry season and the villagers had caught a number of rats and had set them out to dry in the sun.

They were prepared in a stew with vegetables, plenty of hot chilis as is the Thai custom and rice.

We were hungry and it was delicious.

I was talking to a Dominican friend of mine today about Chinese eating dogs in rural Asia and she said "I've never seen a Chinese velorio, have you." I said I didn't know what the Chinese custom was and I launched into a description of the Thai custom of cremation which is accompanied by a big party in the countryside.

That wasn't what she was getting at. She indicated that some people believe that their dead wind up in the food. I explained that I doubt that very much and that the Chinese in the DR probably have very private funeral customs. She was open to the idea that it was an urban myth.

?

? bient?t

Hey, mujeres jembras, rumor has it that the cream of sum-yunguy is good for the cutis.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Dog yum

don't know about the Chinese, but will guarantee the Koreans do have that high on the list of eatables

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The more I read here, the more appalled I'm to the type of statements posted on regards to the Asian community in the DR...

I went to school with Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other Asian nationals or mixed with Dominicans. That's both 12 year school and college, and to be honest there's hardly any noticeable difference to any other Dominican kid or people.

Asian families are close knitted around the head parents. The family will cooperate in all levels of life, be it at home, biz or general society. Much like the Dominican families.

About foods and cleanness, in the UK they eat water RATS, in India they drink milk seeded by RATS, in the US you can eat frogs a la carte, among other things...

The fact that Chinese eat or not dogs and cats is not something dirty or that sets them apart from us. Simply their food pyramids have added ingredients to them than ours do...

There's nothing more intoxicating at eating than goats and pigs, yet they're the two most popular foods in the DR!!!!!! Have you seen what these little fellows eat?!?!?

About discrimination: It takes little to notice that those with the ignorant words are less than educated themselves. It won't matter how well they dress or what pricy car they drive, ignorance is their worst enemy...

Like the saying goes: El mono aunque se vista de seda, mono se queda...

We all face discrimination on a daily basis both at work and socializing. Discrimination is lack of education in the flesh, that's why it’s so hurtful and ugly when it shows.

That kind of education begins at home and ends at the people you gather with, not at school alone. Like the saying goes as well: Dime con quien andas, y te dire quien eres...

I'm a man of few friends, mostly due to the fact that I'm my friend's worst critic...
My circle is a reflection of who I'm...

The reason why most Asian families love the DR over other countries, is that we just like them, concentrate our lives around our families first and all else falls second.

Just because you come from a culture that eats a cat, dog or rats doesn't make yours any cleaner or better at the end...

Reactions: mountainannie

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
don't know about the Chinese, but will guarantee the Koreans do have that high on the list of eatables

For the purpose of this thread is irrelevant whether is Chinese or Koreans who eat dogs, for Dominicans; all Asian looking people are Chinese. Plenty of Dominicans wouldn't know where Korea is even if they are seating in a room, drinking beer with Kim Jon I.

North-Korean-leader-Kim-Jong-Il.jpg

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
The more I read here, the more appalled I'm to the type of statements posted on regards to the Asian community in the DR...

I went to school with Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other Asian nationals or mixed with Dominicans. That's both 12 year school and college, and to be honest there's hardly any noticeable difference to any other Dominican kid or people.

Asian families are close knitted around the head parents. The family will cooperate in all levels of life, be it at home, biz or general society. Much like the Dominican families.

About foods and cleanness, in the UK they eat water RATS, in India they drink milk seeded by RATS, in the US you can eat frogs a la carte, among other things...

The fact that Chinese eat or not dogs and cats is not something dirty or that sets them apart from us. Simply their food pyramids have added ingredients to them than ours do...

There's nothing more intoxicating at eating than goats and pigs, yet they're the two most popular foods in the DR!!!!!! Have you seen what these little fellows eat?!?!?

About discrimination: It takes little to notice that those with the ignorant words are less than educated themselves. It won't matter how well they dress or what pricy car they drive, ignorance is their worst enemy...

Like the saying goes: El mono aunque se vista de seda, mono se queda...

We all face discrimination on a daily basis both at work and socializing. Discrimination is lack of education in the flesh, that's why it?s so hurtful and ugly when it shows.

That kind of education begins at home and ends at the people you gather with, not at school alone. Like the saying goes as well: Dime con quien andas, y te dire quien eres...

I'm a man of few friends, mostly due to the fact that I'm my friend's worst critic...
My circle is a reflection of who I'm...

The reason why most Asian families love the DR over other countries, is that we just like them, concentrate our lives around our families first and all else falls second.

Just because you come from a culture that eats a cat, dog or rats doesn't make yours any cleaner or better at the end...

Hey Pichardo: relax man, no need to bring your unhealthy capsules of knowledge here, nobody is passing judgment on anybody's dietary habits. I'm the one who brought the dog eating habit of the china man to this thread but I did it just so people know why "some" Dominicans consider Chinese restaurant dirty.

I couldn't care less what the people of this world eat, like the self admitted crook/briber Pedrochemical said "to each his own", they could eat dogs right here in New York if it depends on me, dogs are not particularly dirty animals and I guess due to their hyper activity their meat must be pretty fat free, but perception is reality, and for most Dominicans eating dog is an unhealthy, dirty custom, and Chinese do that.

I would also add that most of our bias against Chinese people was already passed unto us by our "European" ancestors.

Reactions: Celt202

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Thanks PICHARDO for your comments and mountainannie for your info about JICA and the Japanese in Constanza.

Someone mentioned earlier that in many places in the world, the Chinese are discriminated against and considered "dirty". I wanted this thread to just focus on the DR, but from reading the posts I have to say that they only reinforce this suggestion. No need to ask why some Dominicans may be anti-"Chino" or ignorant about their culture when there are obviously so many expats and Dominican Yols who are...

And I'm not sure why the topic turned to food. I guess that's the "classic" stereotype. I would just like to say that I have personally witnessed Dominicans eating the following: cat, donkey, pigeon, lizard and endangered turtle. As far as handling of meat...I dare any of you to make a random inspection of a municipal slaughter house in the DR. You will be appalled. Personally, I'm a vegetarian. ;)

On another note, someone mentioned to me today that a significant number of Chinese come to the DR illegally, through Haiti, then fix their papers later here. But they don't get hassled like the Haitians because they are lighter skinned. And that some are criminals fleeing China. What do you think, know anything about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.