"Chinos" in the DR...What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
On another note, someone mentioned to me today that a significant number of Chinese come to the DR illegally, through Haiti, then fix their papers later here. But they don't get hassled like the Haitians because they are lighter skinned. And that some are criminals fleeing China. What do you think, know anything about it?
That's a little hard to believe considering that every time data of the number of people deported from the DR are made available, Haitians take first place with the Chinese coming in second or third, depending on the year.

The Chinese also require visas to enter the DR, just like the Haitians; and those two along with Colombians and Cubans are the most targeted by the migration authorities due to most illegal immigrants being one of those four ethnicity.

One other aspect to take into consideration is that 15,000 people will not pose a threat to the culture of any country vs. over 1 million people and with the possibility of growing exponentially. Plus, its simply arithmetically impossible for equal numbers of Chinese as Haitians to be deported from the DR considering that the Chinese only number 15,000; the number of Chinese entering the DR every year is relatively minuscule, and they are not flooding the DR vs. 1 million Haitians and with another 9 million on the other side slowly "leaking" eastward. The Chinese, despite the Chinatown, don't really congregate in entire neighborhoods. They are fewer and much more dispersed than the Haitians, hence they are not as visible.

This should be obvious to everyone, you don't see as many Chinese anywhere in the DR as you see Haitians. Or to put it another way, for every Chinese that you see in the DR, you will also see 67 Haitians.

Hmm, from which group is it easier to find the illegals? The very visible one's or the almost invisible?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
You just proved it

For the purpose of this thread is irrelevant whether is Chinese or Koreans who eat dogs, for Dominicans; all Asian looking people are Chinese. Plenty of Dominicans wouldn't know where Korea is even if they are seating in a room, drinking beer with Kim Jon I.

North-Korean-leader-Kim-Jong-Il.jpg

Thats Kim Jong Il Dear Leader Of North Korea, was thinking more of South Korea, where I spent 14 months. North Koreans will eat anything that does not move faster than they do, because it tastes better than dirt.

Knew a Korean that cured that problem of referring to him as chino, because they all look alike, started calling his workers haitiano because he could not tell the difference. There really is no love lost between the Koreans and Japanese, or the Chinese and Japanese.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Coincidentally a friend of mine asked a question on Facebook concerning what fast food chain/restaurant in the DR do people like the least. Apparently, Burger King, KFC, and Chinese Pica Pollos take the prize. Have a look at what they said, particularly of the Chinese Pica Pollos (the one's whose name I blocked are the critics of the Pica Pollos, except for the guy on top who created the question). And btw, everyone is Dominican.

19340651.jpg

38013668.jpg

35878515.jpg

89300277.jpg

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Thanks PICHARDO for your comments and mountainannie for your info about JICA and the Japanese in Constanza.

Someone mentioned earlier that in many places in the world, the Chinese are discriminated against and considered "dirty". I wanted this thread to just focus on the DR, but from reading the posts I have to say that they only reinforce this suggestion. No need to ask why some Dominicans may be anti-"Chino" or ignorant about their culture when there are obviously so many expats and Dominican Yols who are...

And I'm not sure why the topic turned to food. I guess that's the "classic" stereotype. I would just like to say that I have personally witnessed Dominicans eating the following: cat, donkey, pigeon, lizard and endangered turtle. As far as handling of meat...I dare any of you to make a random inspection of a municipal slaughter house in the DR. You will be appalled. Personally, I'm a vegetarian. ;)

On another note, someone mentioned to me today that a significant number of Chinese come to the DR illegally, through Haiti, then fix their papers later here. But they don't get hassled like the Haitians because they are lighter skinned. And that some are criminals fleeing China. What do you think, know anything about it?

In your initial post you said:

Some won't shop/eat and "Chino"-owned businesses

Now you wonder how the thread turned into food?

There might be some people who discriminate against Chinese but not to a level that warrant this new accusation against Dominicans, unlike in the US we don't have name specifically designed to denigrate Asian people, we don't call them "chinks, slope heads or japs.

If anything Dominicans have too high an opinion on them, due probably to their high level of success wherever they go. In DR anybody who has a face that resemble their race is immediately called "chino/a" and nobody gets offended by that.

Regarding your comment on the different treatment Chinese and Haitians get in DR Nals already set everything in order.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
That may be true Nals, but I have to question what demographic was polled. I work next to a pica pollo in Santiago and their business is booming. I counted 4 pica pollos in a 10 block stretch of San Francisco the other day. Santiago has a new pica pollo or chinese restaurant opening regularly. On the highway to the Capital there are now 2 new and large paradas that are chinese run. In my opinion there popularity is on the rise if anything. It is much the same as the early 80's in New York, when the Chinese started opening up hole in the wall style restaurants catering mainly to fried chicken and pork fried rice. Before that Chinese food were generally mid to upscale and now there isn't a stretch of barrio in New York that doesn't have a Chinese hole in the wall operation.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
..... In my opinion there popularity is on the rise if anything. It is much the same as the early 80's in New York, when the Chinese started opening up hole in the wall style restaurants catering mainly to fried chicken and pork fried rice. Before that Chinese food were generally mid to upscale and now there isn't a stretch of barrio in New York that doesn't have a Chinese hole in the wall operation.

The number of Chinese pica pollos and comedors in the capital has exploded in recent years. Some are outstanding, some mediocre and some the pits.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
In your initial post you said:

Some won't shop/eat and "Chino"-owned businesses

Now you wonder how the thread turned into food?

There might be some people who discriminate against Chinese but not to a level that warrant this new accusation against Dominicans, unlike in the US we don't have name specifically designed to denigrate Asian people, we don't call them "chinks, slope heads or japs.

If anything Dominicans have too high an opinion on them, due probably to their high level of success wherever they go. In DR anybody who has a face that resemble their race is immediately called "chino/a" and nobody gets offended by that.\

Sure, but I didn't expect someone to take up a whole page pasting pictures of a HOAX about cooking rats in a Chinese restaurant, not even in the DR.

Maybe the DR hasn't had the same level of historic interaction with the Chinese as the U.S. to give Dominicans enough time to come up with so many hateful and insulting names for Asians. Way to go, U.S.A. :rolleyes: Dominicans make good use of adjectives though. Think fill in the blank: Chino _______.

And just wondering, why would you say that "nobody gets offended" by being called Chino? I have several American friends of Pacific and Asian heritage that get very offended by just that. I stated earlier that I don't have any close Asian friends that were born in the DR or are from Asia, but I doubt an educated Japanese person or a JICA Volunteer likes being called Chino all the time. Would Dominicans in the United States like being called "Mexicans" because they speak Spanish or "Africans" because they are black by ignorant people in the United States? Probably not, but then again I can't say that I speak for an entire nationality, race or ethnicity.

Question: What does the phrase "cuento Chino" mean, as in someone told someone else a "cuento Chino"?

Also, in NALs' Facebook survey, someone commented about how they wouldn't eat Chinese food here after a Nuria investigation was done on it. I couldn't find the investigation. Does anyone know what they are referring to?

Here is a website I found for the Barrio Chino: Barrio Chino Santo Domingo

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Sure, but I didn't expect someone to take up a whole page pasting pictures of a HOAX about cooking rats in a Chinese restaurant, not even in the DR.

Maybe the DR hasn't had the same level of historic interaction with the Chinese as the U.S. to give Dominicans enough time to come up with so many hateful and insulting names for Asians. Way to go, U.S.A. :rolleyes: Dominicans make good use of adjectives though. Think fill in the blank: Chino _______.

And just wondering, why would you say that "nobody gets offended" by being called Chino? I have several American friends of Pacific and Asian heritage that get very offended by just that. I stated earlier that I don't have any close Asian friends that were born in the DR or are from Asia, but I doubt an educated Japanese person or a JICA Volunteer likes being called Chino all the time. Would Dominicans in the United States like being called "Mexicans" because they speak Spanish or "Africans" because they are black by ignorant people in the United States? Probably not, but then again I can't say that I speak for an entire nationality, race or ethnicity.

Question: What does the phrase "cuento Chino" mean, as in someone told someone else a "cuento Chino"?

Also, in NALs' Facebook survey, someone commented about how they wouldn't eat Chinese food here after a Nuria investigation was done on it. I couldn't find the investigation. Does anyone know what they are referring to?

Here is a website I found for the Barrio Chino: Barrio Chino Santo Domingo

The way he presented the history is a hoax but it is true that "some" chinese eat rat meat and that's the point he was trying to make.

Check this link:

Engasu.com | Do People in China Really Eat Rat?

Here's an excerpt:

"In reality, only small fractions of the population in China are eating rodent. To find a restaurant selling rodent may not be easy as well. Most likely you can find restaurants selling rodent is in Guangzhou located in the south China. In 1991, The Wall Street Journal published an article titled “Waiter, There’s A Rat in My Soup, And It’s Delicious!” The article reported a Chinese restaurant opened in Guangzhou claimed to be the first restaurant in China dedicated to serve rodent. Now, there are more than one restaurants serving rodent in China. Besides rodent, you may also find restaurants selling worm, and other insect. However, keep in mind that even people, who are living in Guangzhou, do not mean they all eat rodent or other insect."

Keep in mind that I don't care whether they eat rats or not, it doesn't make 'em more or less dirty in my eyes because that's just another link in the food chain, but, do you know whether the Chinese in DR eat rats/dogs/cats or not?, given the crumbling state of DR institutions who's gonna keep in check Chinese from eating what they want? using the same cutlery they use to prepare dogs with others meals?, who'll keep 'em at bay?; Salud Publica?.

The only disgusting thing I find is this pandemic of political correctness that's reaching "hysteria" levels, pretty soon we won't be able to say jack or risk being considered "racist", just cuz a few Dominicans say Chinese are dirty it does not warrant an accusation against millions of people.

Also for you to say that we don't call the china man names because we haven't gotten enuff interaction time to come up with some is silly, it's the kind of wishful thinking that got Satan evicted from heaven. If Dominicans had enough interaction with German scientist we might have put a man on moon before the Americans right?.

Last edited:

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I personally do not eat in chinese or korean restaurants. I lived in a community that was mostly Asian and I was the only non-Korean in my apt complex. They were extremely dirty in their living quarters, so I can only imagine what the restaurants are like. I visited China and South Korea and they were the dirtiest places I've ever been to.

I find that most chinese people I know are very quiet and reserved and that comes off as being rude. They are not good at small talk.

The Japanese on the other hand, are very friendly and clean.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009

How do I know nobody gets offended by being called chino?, easy, I got friends and relative who have that nickname, when I was a child the cook in my house was called "China" by everybody including her sons and daughter, do you think they meant to offend their mom?, in DR husband/wife call their husband/wife "chino or china if their face look Asian.

There have been tv personalities with that nick, who get called "chino" right on air, do you think they meant to insult them in front of millions of viewers?.

By comparison looks like in other nations they work 24/7 to insult the china man; "chink, jap, slope head, gook, nip, chinky, jappo, chinky winky, yellow", in 500 years of history we still don't have one single name to insult Chinese people, and it's not like we aren't good at that, think about how many names we got for gay people.

In the USA the denigration doesn't stop at name calling, you got the "Tsunami song", that uses the phrase "screaming chinks", pretty classy eh?, got the irony? Tsunami....screaming chinks". That song was played in Hot 97, a music station who caters to African Americans; go figure.

Sarah Silverman used the word chink on the Late Night Conan O'brien Show in 2001.

The group The Bloodhound Gang has a song named "yellow fever", its lyrics goes like this;

"Chinky chinky bang bang, I love you/Chinky chinky bang bang, I know you love me too."

The song explains that dental floss is enough to blindfold a Chinese woman for sexual purpose, got the irony?.

Do you like Chinks Steak?, apparently Chinese people don't cuz they have begged a restaurant in Philadelphia to change the name of that establishment to no avail.

13950.jpg

Now show me something in DR that is equal to this level of pervasiveness and malice.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
DR- One of the only places in the whole world where Chinese/Asians aren't the worst drivers!!!!
Also, you missed my old neighbor's favorite- chinaman....

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
where were you at?

I personally do not eat in chinese or korean restaurants. I lived in a community that was mostly Asian and I was the only non-Korean in my apt complex. They were extremely dirty in their living quarters, so I can only imagine what the restaurants are like. I visited China and South Korea and they were the dirtiest places I've ever been to.

I find that most chinese people I know are very quiet and reserved and that comes off as being rude. They are not good at small talk.

The Japanese on the other hand, are very friendly and clean.

I lived in south korea for 14months and never! seen a dirty house, even during the rainy season, and kimche harvest.
Dirty you have to be kidding, do you drive around the capital here? or for that matter downtown detroit.

Reactions: Celt202

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I lived in south korea for 14months and never! seen a dirty house, even during the rainy season, and kimche harvest.
Dirty you have to be kidding, do you drive around the capital here? or for that matter downtown detroit.

I've spent time in Seoul and I didn't find it dirty at all.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
and

And Vacara

a Dominican that has a little Asian heritage may not mind be called chino, but I will grantee you that a Japanese does not like it, nor a Korean, a Chinese will also not like being referred to as a Japanese, or a Korean, Koreans and Chinese both don't like Japanese,

Has something to do with the China problem(invasion) as the Japanese refer to it, and using the Koreans for slave labor or pleasure women(WWll). Most of the terms for the Japanese came in during WWll(nip, slope, jap), the chinese references(chink) when the intercontental railways were built. In Korea you are either a Han Gook(Korean) or a Me Gook(none Korean)

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
war of words

I will not deny that I am about being politically correct (pc). I think the least someone can do is not be ignorant or apathetic and verbally respect others.

But within being "pc", there is a certain level of flexibility and understanding between certain individuals and groups, depending on their relationship and their intent in using the word. Yes, there are songs with the word "chink" and plenty of other wonderful terms. It's because people feel they have some kind of license or unspoken permission to use the term. There are movements by certain groups to REVINDICATE the words that were once used against them to express scorn and hate. Examples: nigga', nigger, queer, fag. There are unspoken rules for using them. As a white person, it is very unlikely that I would be looked upon favorably for using the word nigga' to converse with black acquaintances. Due to my past involvement in LGBT organizations and their knowledge of my stances, however, I could use fag or queer sarcastically to some of my gay or lesbian friends.

Calling all Asians CHINO does not, in my opinion, fall into this category of words. People just use it out of ignorance or apathy. It's geographically incorrect, and as mentioned, given the history between some countries, it can be very offensive. Someone else mentioned this earlier, why not go around calling the Dominicans Haitians instead? They share the same island and all look black to me, what's the difference. They sure as hell don't look Mexican (sarcasm). I think I'll try that tomorrow, to get someone's attention I'll call them Haitiano or Haitiana, and see how people react.

You think people aren't offended because they don't say anything? Someone mentioned earlier that Asians are more quiet and reserved, so of course they are probably not going to confront someone or speak up. Once, at a Pica Pollo, I heard a guy tell a Chino that he was "ugly", and that "Chinese people don't even know what real feelings, like love, are, unlike the Dominicans." He proceeded to sell food to the guy and said nothing. Since he didn't, does that mean he wasn't offended? If he did, it would have been bad for business.

The fact that most people do call all Asians "Chinos" (on t.v., kids to their mom) does not make it OK. It just shows institutionalized racism and widespread ignorance.

So nobody knows what "cuento Chino" means?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I will not deny that I am about being politically correct (pc). I think the least someone can do is not be ignorant or apathetic and verbally respect others.

But within being "pc", there is a certain level of flexibility and understanding between certain individuals and groups, depending on their relationship and their intent in using the word. Yes, there are songs with the word "chink" and plenty of other wonderful terms. It's because people feel they have some kind of license or unspoken permission to use the term. There are movements by certain groups to REVINDICATE the words that were once used against them to express scorn and hate. Examples: nigga', nigger, queer, fag. There are unspoken rules for using them. As a white person, it is very unlikely that I would be looked upon favorably for using the word nigga' to converse with black acquaintances. Due to my past involvement in LGBT organizations and their knowledge of my stances, however, I could use fag or queer sarcastically to some of my gay or lesbian friends.

Calling all Asians CHINO does not, in my opinion, fall into this category of words. People just use it out of ignorance or apathy. It's geographically incorrect, and as mentioned, given the history between some countries, it can be very offensive. Someone else mentioned this earlier, why not go around calling the Dominicans Haitians instead? They share the same island and all look black to me, what's the difference. They sure as hell don't look Mexican (sarcasm). I think I'll try that tomorrow, to get someone's attention I'll call them Haitiano or Haitiana, and see how people react.

You think people aren't offended because they don't say anything? Someone mentioned earlier that Asians are more quiet and reserved, so of course they are probably not going to confront someone or speak up. Once, at a Pica Pollo, I heard a guy tell a Chino that he was "ugly", and that "Chinese people don't even know what real feelings, like love, are, unlike the Dominicans." He proceeded to sell food to the guy and said nothing. Since he didn't, does that mean he wasn't offended? If he did, it would have been bad for business.

The fact that most people do call all Asians "Chinos" (on t.v., kids to their mom) does not make it OK. It just shows institutionalized racism and widespread ignorance.

So nobody knows what "cuento Chino" means?

As far as I can remember we call "Cuento Chino" to a long type of joke which aim is to torture the listeners as long as possible until they give up and leave.

You use the term as a threat to give a good spanking to ill behaving kids "later" at home. The idea is that the long time it takes to get home, will have the kid being tortured thinking about the good whipping that's waiting for him...

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
As far as I can remember we call "Cuento Chino" to a long type of joke which aim is to torture the listeners as long as possible until they give up and leave.

You use the term as a threat to give a good spanking to ill behaving kids "later" at home. The idea is that the long time it takes to get home, will have the kid being tortured thinking about the good whipping that's waiting for him...

"Cuento Chino" is a lie, usually told with the idea to gain some advantages, but badly constructed and detectable from miles away.

To Minerva: you are trying to make a circle fits in a square, it won't. You are trying to make something out of nothing, you are so out of touch it's almost comical.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008

I'm not saying Dominicans aren't dirty, but for the most part most Dominican homes I visit are clean. I'm talking about Koreans living in the U.S. whose homes were disgusting.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I'm not saying Dominicans aren't dirty, but for the most part most Dominican homes I visit are clean. I'm talking about Koreans living in the U.S. whose homes were disgusting.

And on that note, I can say without a doubt this thread is done.

CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.