Choosing a car, making "Cars" subforum

rised

Oct 8, 2006
After about an hour searching through all buying-car-in-dr topics I haven't found any solid information about how and where I can buy reliable car in SD (for me) and other cities.

I'm thinking of buying a Peugeot 206 or 307 or Seat Ibiza 2003 for my wife.

Yes, I was thinking about Toyota but... for a same price you can't buy descent one, or I'm wrong?

Please tell me if there are some good places where I can just choose a cat not thinkin all the time about percent possibility of being ripped of.

I understand that in DR may not be good places with cheap cars so any tips are welcome.

BTW 2 Chris:
Maybe it is an idea to create cars subforum for Living forum? Or maybe even separate (with rental, sell, buy, repair setions). Because fulltext MySQL search that forum uses didn't support words less than 4 symborl - so word car is almost impossible to find with proper query...

Thanks to all ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Please tell me if there are some good places where I can just choose a cat not thinkin all the time about percent possibility of being ripped of.

If you want to buy a new vehicle, then this is possible. If you want to buy a used vehicle, the possibility of being ripped off, is large. I would suggest that you take a very experienced person with you, check the vehicle out first with a very reliable mechanic, and check out the vin number to find out whether the vehicle had been in an accident, written off after Katrina, or something like that.

On the North Coast, Rocky is the go-to guy for used vehicles. He has a long standing relationship with Espaillat Motors in Moca, and from first hand experience when we visited a vehicle feria, he is greatly respected. I just mentioned his name and we were wisked in to the manager's office and welcomed and treated like family. There may be other posters that know what they are about.

In Santiago, I know AZB has a lot of good information and contacts. On the South Coast, I cannot think of a poster specifically into vehicles.

BTW 2 Chris:
Maybe it is an idea to create cars subforum for Living forum? Or maybe even separate (with rental, sell, buy, repair setions). Because fulltext MySQL search that forum uses didn't support words less than 4 symborl - so word car is almost impossible to find with proper query... Thanks to all ;)

I would hope not to moderate this one, and it could easily become a forum for advertising. But use these search terms 'buying a vehicle', and you will get a lot of good information.

Uhm, it would be a good topic to pull together in a sticky, but this week I'm trying to pull together the crime threads and this will have to wait just a moment.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My friends who owned SEAT and Peugeot, all ended up selling that junk for cheaper price later on. These cars are garbage, acording to them. No wonder you can get cheaper prices. The repair and parts will kill you in the long run. The parts are expensive.
Now get yourself a old,good conditioned toyota or a honda and stay happy.
AZB

Spyderdiaz

Jul 15, 2005
Reputable Dealer in La Romana

I'm trying to purchase a used vehicle in La Romana and thus far have come across JUNK vehicles that are overpriced by at least $1,000/US. Does anyone know of a respectable, honest, reasonable price dealer in La Romana?

Thanks,

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
with all due respect dominicans are soooo closed minded when it comes to cars we think the only good cars in the world are toyotas and hondas, there are plenty of much better cars out there but hey just my opinion.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
with all due respect dominicans are soooo closed minded when it comes to cars we think the only good cars in the world are toyotas and hondas, there are plenty of much better cars out there but hey just my opinion.
With all due respect, AZB's correct.
And Dominicans aren't closed minded about car brands.
They are the kings of keeping old junkers going forever, andd they know better than most, which are the ones worth saving.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Carfax

One piece of advice as I have just recently been down this road. If you are buying used car imported from the US sign up for carfax service www.carfax.com for $30 you get unlimited use for 30 days. They will check out the odomeeter reading, damage, title history etc. I had "bought" a car here and when checked it out it seems the odometer had been turned back 100,000 miles. The dealer admited when I brought the car back the "he turned all the odometers back". Not all dealers do this, but it is a common practice. Most cars imported from the US either have too many miles to sell in the US or have been in Major accidents, or salvaged. Be very careful. We actually after "returning" three different cars for the above reasons ended up buying new. PM me if you want more details.

Bob K

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
im not saying azb is wrong all im saying is that honda and toyotas are what mostly dominicans consider to be good cars, there are plenty of good cars out there that are good, for example do you see any other type of mitsubishi being driven down here other than the montero line,(sport, nativa, did, L200) by the way L200 is based on the montero chasis, same engine as nativa and interior.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
im not saying azb is wrong all im saying is that honda and toyotas are what mostly dominicans consider to be good cars, there are plenty of good cars out there that are good, for .

Dominicans are right just like many other people in all over the world. I have had nothing but american cars. I love american cars (chevys) but let me tell you one thing, the repairs keep you busy. If you live in USA, then parts are easy to find and cars are cheap, but this is not true in other countries where american cars are not so popular thus buying parts can he a headache.
I have a large family in USA and when we changed our cars to toyotas and hondas, about 80% of car repair expenses went down. The cars hardly ever broke down on the road and a toyota corolla 1986 was just gifted to a friend because we just couldn't kill it. These cars are work horses. They just keep on running. I have a 90 tercel and I am unable to kill it even after extensive abuse. I have decided to buy another toyota, a camry 2000. This car is still 6 yrs old yet it looks and runs brand new. These cars are built to last and no wonder they are so popular in 3rd world countries.
We also have a line of hondas in our family and they all run like excellent cars. 2 of my sisters drive late model mercedez 500 & 600 series. Both are good cars but a simple oil change will set you back a lot of money. Every time you go to mechanic for minor repair job, its around 500 dollars.
My brother had a couple of french cars in morocco, company issued. They were such crap so he exchanged one for a toyota corolla and now he is 100% trouble free. Mind you, the french cars were brand new.
I had 2 VW golf in NYC and both gave me so much electrical problems that I ended up selling one for 1/2 price and junking the other one.
So please, when I give advice on hondas and toyotas, its coming from years of experience in car ownership.
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
im not saying azb is wrong all im saying is that honda and toyotas are what mostly dominicans consider to be good cars, there are plenty of good cars out there that are good, for example do you see any other type of mitsubishi being driven down here other than the montero line,(sport, nativa, did, L200) by the way L200 is based on the montero chasis, same engine as nativa and interior.
Now you mention Jap cars, and Jap cars are pretty much all good cars.
Honda & Toyota lead the field, but there's not that great a disparity.
Previously, there was mention of a Peugeot and a Seat.
That's looking for trouble around here.
Maintenance problems, parts problems, and more frequent breakdowns.
Why do you think they are cheaper?
Because, that's what they are worth, and cheap things cost more in the long run, and the only happiness you get from them, is on the day you sell the problematic piece of junk.