Chretien/Mejia Comparison

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I know about Canadian politics about as much as I know about nukular fusion, but since this thread is about dumb head of states (seems like a world epidemic lately)...

Sometimes it is not so much about the opposition not having capable people, it is just that they rather bitch and moan about everything instead of just realising that for their own sake, and for the sake of the nation, sometimes you have to put your differences aside and fight the common enemy.

So simple... apparently you don't have to be bright to be in the opposition either.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Basically NR and PIB - Paul & mob have half the equation down pat. The opposition can't get their act together and too many vying for positions (the Alliance took a lot of good Conservatives with them too) and none of them with the charism to really lead. There is no real statesperson outside the Liberal party that could command enough public support to win an election. T'other side of the equation is the large French electorate (mainly in Quebec, Ontario and the Maritimes) who together basically control the popular vote (and majority of the seats). Sometimes I wish our system was more like the American system where you can elect a Democrat President and a Republican house. Unfortunately we have to elect a party and get whomever is head of that party as our "leader".
Cretien has also made it very clear in the Throne speech that he intnds to tie up all available monies for "his" projects" before he steps down so whomever follows him will be tied in to programming that he will institute. Heaven help us all if there is an economic "slowdown" or recession in the next ten years.....we'll all go to hell in a basket!

PS (no bashing here NR....on either side! Just honest comments about a pathetic situation!!)

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
isnt' it ironic.....

Originally posted by Not registered are you saying there are no Statesmen/women in Canada capable of leadership?

no i am saying that chretien is more than capable, i believe i always have. in other words no flip-flopping of opinion in the same thread. prior to chretien the liberals had given us a Nobel peace prize winner(LBPearson) and the consummate(sp?) statesman(Trudeau). the other parties--nothing. we now have a year and a half before chretien retires, who knows what will happen.

generally, i think Canadians like to moan and complain no matter who is in power--it's either "they spend to much" or "they cut back too much". Ontario could be no better example of this.

oh, and the ironic part? that you would pose your question on the same night that chretien was in NYC to receive the World Statesman Award from henry kissinger.

mob

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Cretian cannot see past that huge nose on his face...not even going into the countless destructive "programs" he has put into place, what about his idiotic take on Kyoto? Nothing like pushing for a program that nobody wants, without stopping to listen to reason. Canada has less than 2% of wrold-wide harmful emissions. The US has already nixed the pact, because it is economically unfeasable. In fact, 65% of countries in the world have said "no" to Kyoto, why would our Wonderful Prime Minister push so hard for it without even thinking of the damage it's going to do to our economy???
For more info, click on link
Alberta's take on Kyoto

This country needs a couple more Ralph Kleins (well, ones that aren't alcoholics).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We will have the "Opportunity" to see these two together soon!

"Hipolito" will spend two days in Canada soon.They are to swap stories on who has stolen the most money! They will use % of GNP stolen to see who wins,cause Canada is a much bigger country! I go with "Hipolito"! CRIS

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Canadians are a strange backwards people with political attachment to their party that is handed on through the generations,you are blue or youre red,things have slowly changed over the years but it a long way away still ,then again Americans are either democrats or republicans,every country has its shere of idiots in politics as they have their share of memorable good ones As for Chretien the kid from Shawinigan falls,hes been around too long and needs to get the hell out,there are many talented and intelligent politicians in Canada unfortunatly the way our political system works they shut up and wait their turn for the big job,thats one of the reasons i dont bother living in Canada,or using benefits ,or voting or paying taxes,if you dont agree do something about it,be pollitically active or walk away.As an old saying goes Lead,Follow or Get the **** out of the way