Christmas in the Campo

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks so much. Not sure the momentum is finished. I tend to believe some more donations will still roll in. But what generosity!!!! And DRSolar, thank you for pushing me to do this and providing the inspiration.

YOU are Strength for the Journey!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Thanks so much. Not sure the momentum is finished. I tend to believe some more donations will still roll in. But what generosity!!!! And DRSolar, thank you for pushing me to do this and providing the inspiration.

Nah.. just nudged you a little. Our part is easy. You're the true Strength.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hi everyone! I just got back from seeing Lindsey and her husband up in Jamao del Norte. I went to watch some of the work they’re doing with the kids up in the mountains. I interacted with about 7 different teachers in about 4 classes over 3 days. I just wanted to post it was an incredible experience, seeing all the wonderful work Lindsey and the foundation are doing there. They are really making a difference and doing a great job.

If anyone is looking for something local to support, Lindsey and the Strength for the Journey Foundation should be considered. They do a great job and are very worthy of consideration.

Thanks

Rob

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wait a second.... Isn't your name NanSanPedr? Who is this Rob dude?

Aug 21, 2007
Hi everyone! I just got back from seeing Lindsey and her husband up in Jamao del Norte. I went to watch some of the work they’re doing with the kids up in the mountains. I interacted with about 7 different teachers in about 4 classes over 3 days. I just wanted to post it was an incredible experience, seeing all the wonderful work Lindsey and the foundation are doing there. They are really making a difference and doing a great job.

If anyone is looking for something local to support, Lindsey and the Strength for the Journey Foundation should be considered. They do a great job and are very worthy of consideration.

Thanks

Rob

Always a great experience when we can share with others what we do. Thanks, Rob, for coming to see.

When Rob was here, we began classes in one of the communities. Prior to starting, we must test each child's reading level to determine how we will group the children for reading tutoring. We tutor up to third grade level.

Three girls tests out- they read at third grade level. We told them that they could not participate in classes because they did not qualify. These little girls - from the campo- protested, demanding that we accept them. They proceeded to hold a huelga - refusing to leave until we allowed them to enroll. With that kind of motivation, how could we refused. We ended up deciding to form an additional class, telling the girls to find 7 friends who also read well. We will hold a special class just for them, giving them other types of learning opportunities.

In Jamao, on the other hand, we had four 11 - 13 year olds who could not read - not even one word. At first, we told them that they could not participate because they were too old to learn alongside the 6 - 7 year olds. After some thought, we decided to teach another class composed just of the older kids who never learned to read. Others who are in the same boat registered, and now the class is full.

All is not perfect. In a couple communities, children registered but didn't show up for class. We gave an ultimatum and will cancel their site if the desire is not there.

Teaching here is always a challenge, one way or another. But we keep plugging along.

That is Strength for the Journey!

www.sftjourney.org

IMG_7830.jpeg IMG_7854.jpeg IMG_7871.jpeg IMG_7866.jpeg