Cibao “i”

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You're probably related to Bob Saunders, too.
I am very distantly related to Sir Francis Drake, and Sir Richard Hawkins, as well as a bunch of Irish thieves, and Scottish louts. Many of my Ancestors were puritans that settled in Connecticut and Massachusetts in the early 1600's, as well as Oyster Bay and Harlem New York.

Reactions: Lucifer

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I am very distantly related to Sir Francis Drake, and Sir Richard Hawkins, as well as a bunch of Irish thieves, and Scottish louts. Many of my Ancestors were puritans that settled in Connecticut and Massachusetts in the early 1600's, as well as Oyster Bay and Harlem New York.
It's nice to see someone admit this.
I've never traced my family's lineage, but in case I did, I'm sure to find relationships to Vlad the Impaler, Rudolph Hess, Mussolini, Stalin, AND even Henry the VIII and possibly Charles Manson.
As long as I'm not related to Alofoke and to the one who shall remain nameless, everything's gonna be O.K.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's nice to see someone admit this.
I've never traced my family's lineage, but in case I did, I'm sure to find relationships to Vlad the Impaler, Rudolph Hess, Mussolini, Stalin, AND even Henry the VIII and possibly Charles Manson.
As long as I'm not related to Alofoke and to the one who shall remain nameless, everything's gonna be O.K.
I find my wife's DNA far more interesting but much harder to track actual lineage. 55.4 % European ( 33.2 % East Iberia, 18% west Iberia, 4.1% Northern Italy) 9.8% Berber (Morocco), 22.4% West African ( 9.2% Yoruba, 5.2%, Mandinka,, 2 % Akan , 2 % Manjck,1.7% Fula, 1.7% Esan) 1.7% Southern African (Ovambo) and 10.7 % Taino ( Padre Las Casas)

Reactions: Lucifer

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So what was your motive to come here in the first place? Your heritage?
To the DR? I came to the DR as a sailor back in the early seventies, and the rest is history!

I just received another notification from FamilySearch telling me I have a cousin in Canada.

I don't think I'll ever look at my Ancestry webpage anymore.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You see, that’s when you ruin it, Bob. You’re in DR now. He is not sir, he is the English pirate Francis Drake. For one thing, the DR doesn’t recognizes nobility titles and any titles given by any European monarchy. Only military and education titles, those gained through merit and they can’t be inherited or passed to anyone else. You esrn them and they go with you to the grave. The other thing that Drake was a thief, a murderer and a criminal. He is directly responsible for this like all records from the main church in SD go back to 1586 when everybody knows SD is much older than that. He burn all the records in what is now Columbus Park, desecrated all the churches (a big thing back then), made the main cathedral his headquarters whike he held SD for ransom. That is just the tip of the ice berg.

Francis Drake may be seen (as a history professor once said during my university freshmen year) “not a bad guy,” to which I made it very clear I wasn’t flattered by that. Someone else had to say “he originates from the DR” and all the profesor said then was “oooh.” And I was in the front row to boot. 😵‍💫

But that’s in the UK, in the US there are quite a few people that see him with “good eyes” (most don’t care though), maybe up in Canada, whatever. Not in DR. 😬

The Richard Hawkings guy can be all the Sir you want, not Frances Drake.

Btw, I have a copy of his notes written in a very old English of his 1586 “adventure” which includeed attacking several cities, Santo Domingo among them.

Reactions: Fulano2

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
For one thing, the DR doesn’t recognizes nobility titles and any titles given by any European monarchy.
In the Netherlands when a child is born as an earl or duke or any nobility title it forms part of his or her name, so it will be on the birth certificate.
So if you get your residency here I imagine the title will be on your residency and cedula, it would be as an example “Fulano earl Fulano de Tal Don Nadie”.
I imagine it’s the same in the UK.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You see, that’s when you ruin it, Bob. You’re in DR now. He is not sir, he is the English pirate Francis Drake. For one thing, the DR doesn’t recognizes nobility titles and any titles given by any European monarchy. Only military and education titles, those gained through merit and they can’t be inherited or passed to anyone else. You esrn them and they go with you to the grave. The other thing that Drake was a thief, a murderer and a criminal. He is directly responsible for this like all records from the main church in SD go back to 1586 when everybody knows SD is much older than that. He burn all the records in what is now Columbus Park, desecrated all the churches (a big thing back then), made the main cathedral his headquarters whike he held SD for ransom. That is just the tip of the ice berg.

Francis Drake may be seen (as a history professor once said during my university freshmen year) “not a bad guy,” to which I made it very clear I wasn’t flattered by that. Someone else had to say “he originates from the DR” and all the profesor said then was “oooh.” And I was in the front row to boot. 😵‍💫

But that’s in the UK, in the US there are quite a few people that see him with “good eyes” (most don’t care though), maybe up in Canada, whatever. Not in DR. 😬

Btw, I have a copy of his notes written in a very old English of his 1586 “adventure” which includeed attacking several cities, Santo Domingo among them.
Actually John Hawkins and Francis Drake were cousins and the Hawkins built ships for the Royal navy. Hawkins, although a man of his times was as disreputable as Francis Drake. He was considered the founder of the British Slaver trade although he only made three trips to Africa where he bought slaves from the Portugues the first trip and from African tribal leaders the second and third time. All three trips delivered the Africans to the Carribean. My connection to him is through his daughter Elizabeth who would be my 7th great grandmother.
1710111003635.png

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Sir Francis Drake was a Vice Admiral