Cigar Problems

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

I can think of bigger problems than cigar problems. That being said, I wonder if any of you cigar aficionados have a solution to my problem.

Via my courier service Vimenpaq I ordered a sampler 8 pack of Oliva cigars for about $54.00 from Thompson. Nice. Only to find out that they are stuck in Miami (retenido) because Vimenpaq does not ship tobacco products. It's a big IF whether I will receive credit for these cigars or they will go to the trash. Vimenpaq has BIG return issues which I will discuss in a new thread (other problems with Vimenpaq pending).

The question is: How can I ship tobacco products here from the U.S. without restriction? BTW, the international carriers such as DHL, etc., charge an arm and a leg.
LOL! It is a great irony that I can find a much greater variety of Dominican cigars in the U.S. than I can here, yet I cannot ship them here from the U.S.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
BM Cargo won't let me ship in cigars either, but I think it's aduadas that won't let them be shipped in(?).

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
They (couriers) will keep'em and will smoke'em (your cigars) or the employes will just sell'em. That indeed is the definition of "retention."

:ROFLMAO:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hmm.. that must be something new. CC had his cigars delivered down here for years.

I'm going to check with my courier this morning (Domex,) and see if they still ship them and get back to you.

Reactions: CristoRey

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hello All,

I can think of bigger problems than cigar problems. That being said, I wonder if any of you cigar aficionados have a solution to my problem.

Via my courier service Vimenpaq I ordered a sampler 8 pack of Oliva cigars for about $54.00 from Thompson. Nice. Only to find out that they are stuck in Miami (retenido) because Vimenpaq does not ship tobacco products. It's a big IF whether I will receive credit for these cigars or they will go to the trash. Vimenpaq has BIG return issues which I will discuss in a new thread (other problems with Vimenpaq pending).

The question is: How can I ship tobacco products here from the U.S. without restriction? BTW, the international carriers such as DHL, etc., charge an arm and a leg.
LOL! It is a great irony that I can find a much greater variety of Dominican cigars in the U.S. than I can here, yet I cannot ship them here from the U.S.
I would think the DR will protect its cigar industry and expect that cigar imports are not made welcome here.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I would think the DR will protect its cigar industry and expect that cigar imports are not made welcome here.

I don't think the local industry has a problem with individuals importing a box now and then.

Surely they do not want to impede me from buying a box of locally produced cigars that are cheaper to buy in the states and import than they are to buy here.

Big shipments may be another issue.

I'm still waiting for an answer from my courier. (DOMEX)

• Wow
Reactions: chico bill

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Hello All,

Hi. I can tell you during the last years I lived in the DR I ordered most of my cigars from Thompson through Vimenpaq RSJ. Never a problem.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I had a shipment sent for a friend about a year ago through EncargoPaq and there was no issue.
But rules may have changed. If I recall there was an odd charge from aduanas he had to pay.
But FYI since Covid shipping has got noticeably slower..................

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
DOMEX just informed me they no longer allow tobacco products to be imported but no reason why.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I used BM cargo in the past never a problem that was 2 months ago.... how crazy is this we cant buy good Dominican cigars on the island..ove the good stuff gets shipped to the states..... all the cigars here are sh!!

Reactions: wayne

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
My close friend is a member of the cigar producers here in Santiago and advises me that the importation of cigars is now illegal

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

That does not surprise me. I have the same problem with Bourbon. Much greater variety and prices than can be found here. I have never tried to ship in Bourbon.

The Scotch drinker pointed out that article four of the Vimenpaq website. I find it interesting that they list the rules yet they are holding up your order. But your cigar issue interests me. I would be interested in how it plays out with your shipment.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
That does not surprise me. I have the same problem with Bourbon. Much greater variety and prices than can be found here. I have never tried to ship in Bourbon.

The Scotch drinker pointed out that article four of the Vimenpaq website. I find it interesting that they list the rules yet they are holding up your order. But your cigar issue interests me. I would be interested in how it plays out with your shipment.
I've had 2 shipments held in Miami. Both of them have been on my tracking page for over two years so pretty sure I'm not going to get them.

The only way to receive them is to send a friend to pick it up in Miami and notify the courier office he's coming.

Or pay the duties if they'll let you.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Here's an update: Domex (my courier) contacted me today and said a box for personal use should not be a problem for them.